Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fading paint/enamel

The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint is
very resistant to all manner of things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2016 8:03 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint is very
resistant to all manner of things.

I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint
is very
resistant to all manner of things.

I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

For small stuff, acrylic paints come in spray cans.
Reputable companies test their products for outdoor weather-ability.
I've seem devices like a Weather-Ometer for accelerated testing and have
also seen test panels exposed to weather for years.

http://atlas-mts.com/products/product-detail/pid/226/

Lots of products, like your hose bibs are probably not tested for
weather-ability and plastics can fail more rapidly than the pigment they
contain. These things are not painted but the pigment is dispersed in
the plastic but weathered surface may frost over from the polymer
degrading and hid the color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I think this is a die-cast "knob" that is enameled prior to sale.
It certainly doesn't *feel* plastic (I can try a flame test on one)

contain. These things are not painted but the pigment is dispersed in the
plastic but weathered surface may frost over from the polymer degrading and hid
the color.

Again, I'm pretty sure this is a chunk of metal underneath a thin
coat of paint/enamel. I can also test that -- chip away at it to
expose the underlying material (if any).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Could be painted metal. If so, I would look for an acrylic paint for
outdoor use. Fading of color depends on light stability of the color.
Pigments from metal oxides or salts generally hold up better than colors
from dyes but cans would probably not tell you what is in it. You could
probably look up stability for different colors. Black that comes from
carbon and white from titanium dioxide should hold up best. Iron oxide
reds probably so too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

That's assuming they are plastic. Mine are all metal. Some powder
coated zinc, some color anodized aluminum, and some bare un-coloured.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
| What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Spray paint in general is junk. It needs a
lot of fillers to make it spray well. But pigments
can also vary. Some reds and blues seem to
be worse than other colors. But even if you
can research all that, you might not be able
to find out what specific pigments are in a
given paint.

I don't know what a hose bib is, but if it were
me I'd try getting some good quality oil paints,
like the "safety" or "international" commercial
paints, then perhaps combine those with patterns:
white with polka dots of orange, white with
orange stripes, orange with polka dots of white, etc.
That way you need less colors and can make them
more distinctive. You can also reduce uncertainty:
If you have blue with red stripes but not blue with
orange stripes then you don't have to see the colors
as clearly to identify them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2016 10:30 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
| What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Spray paint in general is junk. It needs a
lot of fillers to make it spray well. But pigments
can also vary. Some reds and blues seem to

Gien my explained use, I obviously want vivid,
bright colors. You don't want to have to differentiate
between beige and brown from across the yard. Or, blue
and green and teal, etc.

be worse than other colors. But even if you
can research all that, you might not be able
to find out what specific pigments are in a
given paint.

I don't know what a hose bib is, but if it were

Sure you do! You just didn't know what it was REALLY
called (bibb -- three B's):
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Valves-Hose-Bibbs-Sillcocks/N-5yc1vZca22

me I'd try getting some good quality oil paints,
like the "safety" or "international" commercial
paints, then perhaps combine those with patterns:
white with polka dots of orange, white with
orange stripes, orange with polka dots of white, etc.
That way you need less colors and can make them

You'd not be able to resolve that level of detail at
any distance. Recall, it's not a large, flat surface
that you are "marking"!

more distinctive. You can also reduce uncertainty:
If you have blue with red stripes but not blue with
orange stripes then you don't have to see the colors
as clearly to identify them.

Blue, Red, Yellow, Green -- assuming all are VIBRANT
colors and REMAIN vibrant -- would be sufficient.
Don't need the big box of Crayola's, here!

(Black would be unambiguous -- as wold white -- but may
not stand out being that small at a distance)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 19:59:27 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/27/2016 10:30 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
| What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Spray paint in general is junk. It needs a
lot of fillers to make it spray well. But pigments
can also vary. Some reds and blues seem to

Gien my explained use, I obviously want vivid,
bright colors. You don't want to have to differentiate
between beige and brown from across the yard. Or, blue
and green and teal, etc.

be worse than other colors. But even if you
can research all that, you might not be able
to find out what specific pigments are in a
given paint.

I don't know what a hose bib is, but if it were

Sure you do! You just didn't know what it was REALLY
called (bibb -- three B's):
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Valves-Hose-Bibbs-Sillcocks/N-5yc1vZca22

me I'd try getting some good quality oil paints,
like the "safety" or "international" commercial
paints, then perhaps combine those with patterns:
white with polka dots of orange, white with
orange stripes, orange with polka dots of white, etc.
That way you need less colors and can make them

You'd not be able to resolve that level of detail at
any distance. Recall, it's not a large, flat surface
that you are "marking"!

more distinctive. You can also reduce uncertainty:
If you have blue with red stripes but not blue with
orange stripes then you don't have to see the colors
as clearly to identify them.

Blue, Red, Yellow, Green -- assuming all are VIBRANT
colors and REMAIN vibrant -- would be sufficient.
Don't need the big box of Crayola's, here!

(Black would be unambiguous -- as wold white -- but may
not stand out being that small at a distance)

Do you need the colopr to determine "which" hose bibb it is? or just
to locate it?
Can't remember where on the house it is??

Mine is a foot from the edge of the deck and a foot from the basement
window well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2016 8:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/27/2016 10:30 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
| What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Spray paint in general is junk. It needs a
lot of fillers to make it spray well. But pigments
can also vary. Some reds and blues seem to

Gien my explained use, I obviously want vivid,
bright colors. You don't want to have to differentiate
between beige and brown from across the yard. Or, blue
and green and teal, etc.

be worse than other colors. But even if you
can research all that, you might not be able
to find out what specific pigments are in a
given paint.

I don't know what a hose bib is, but if it were

Sure you do! You just didn't know what it was REALLY
called (bibb -- three B's):
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Valves-Hose-Bibbs-Sillcocks/N-5yc1vZca22

me I'd try getting some good quality oil paints,
like the "safety" or "international" commercial
paints, then perhaps combine those with patterns:
white with polka dots of orange, white with
orange stripes, orange with polka dots of white, etc.
That way you need less colors and can make them

You'd not be able to resolve that level of detail at
any distance. Recall, it's not a large, flat surface
that you are "marking"!

more distinctive. You can also reduce uncertainty:
If you have blue with red stripes but not blue with
orange stripes then you don't have to see the colors
as clearly to identify them.

Blue, Red, Yellow, Green -- assuming all are VIBRANT
colors and REMAIN vibrant -- would be sufficient.
Don't need the big box of Crayola's, here!

(Black would be unambiguous -- as wold white -- but may
not stand out being that small at a distance)

I believe an acrylic paint is your best bet. Vivid colors and excellent
resistance to sunlight.

I don't understand why you can't just paint it with a brush. The area
to be painted isn't that large.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/27/2016 10:30 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
| What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

Spray paint in general is junk. It needs a
lot of fillers to make it spray well. But pigments
can also vary. Some reds and blues seem to

Gien my explained use, I obviously want vivid,
bright colors. You don't want to have to differentiate
between beige and brown from across the yard. Or, blue
and green and teal, etc.

Try dollar store nail polish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint
is very
resistant to all manner of things.

I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

I have no idea. I just know how resistant acrylic paint is to sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I suspect it is related to the actual color. E.g., neighbor's
house was "chocolate brown" -- and perpetually faded! Another
neighbor has a rich teal -- similar problem.

OTOH, folks with more muted colors don't seem to have as
dramatic a difference, over time. (faded beige?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Acrylics generally have good sun resistance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Or just topcoat with a UV resistant clear. It's usually the UV that
fades paint. Automotive clear coat is generally UV resistant, and is
the reason newer vehicles with 2 stage paint don't fade nearly as fast
as older single stage paints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:03:13 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint is
very resistant to all manner of things.

There's a better solution. The Sun is the main cause of fading. We must
unite and petition the government to destroy the sun. Nasa has the
ability to send a rocket to the sun, filled with nuclear bombs. The sun
will be blown to pieces once this rocket explodes.

Once the sun is destroyed, we will no longer have to worry about fading
paint.

If however, you own stock in solar energy devices, sell your stock
before they launch the rocket, because it will soon be worthless!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Buy spools of ribbon and tie a different color to each bibb. When the ribbon fades simply tie on a new one.