Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting plaster off concrete

My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around a
stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get rid of
the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced it. I tried
chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After several evenings of
strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of people recommended muriatic
acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
in a water solution. I tried that because he explained the chemical
reaction with the sulfur and sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda
solution soak about a half hour and a putty knife took it off easily.
Thank you chemist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around a
stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get rid of
the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced it. I tried
chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After several evenings of
strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of people recommended muriatic
acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
in a water solution. I tried that because he explained the chemical
reaction with the sulfur and sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda
solution soak about a half hour and a putty knife took it off easily.
Thank you chemist.

Isn't that special.

It's actually useful home repair info that someone in the future might
appreciate. But you might not know much about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around a
stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get rid of
the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced it. I tried
chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After several evenings of
strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of people recommended muriatic
acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
in a water solution. I tried that because he explained the chemical
reaction with the sulfur and sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda
solution soak about a half hour and a putty knife took it off easily.
Thank you chemist.

Isn't that special.

It's actually useful home repair info that someone in the future might
appreciate. But you might not know much about that.

I thought it was a good piece of information and worth remembering. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Plastered Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2016 5:44 PM, Norm wrote:
My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around a
stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get rid of
the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced it. I tried
chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After several evenings of
strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of people recommended muriatic
acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
in a water solution. I tried that because he explained the chemical
reaction with the sulfur and sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda
solution soak about a half hour and a putty knife took it off easily.
Thank you chemist.

Well, then.....it appears yer question is irrelevant, gummy lips.

😜

Posted to alt.home.repair

In oups.com,
Norm typed:
My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around
a stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get
rid of the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced
it. I tried chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After
several evenings of strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of
people recommended muriatic acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended
baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in a water solution. I tried that
because he explained the chemical reaction with the sulfur and
sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda solution soak about a half
hour and a putty knife took it off easily. Thank you chemist.

I never had this situation, but I would not have guessed that a baking soda
and water solution would work. I would have guess something acidic.
Interesting. I am surprised that baking soda and water worked, but fro what
you wrote, I guess it did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

My house was decorated in the 1970's and had a plaster applied around a
stove to look like bricks. I removed the stove and needed to get rid of
the faux brick. The drywall was easy because I just replaced it. I tried
chiselling the plaster off the concrete floor. After several evenings of
strong arms I searched the Internet. Lots of people recommended muriatic
acid or vinegar. One chemist recommended baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
in a water solution. I tried that because he explained the chemical
reaction with the sulfur and sodium. It worked. I let the baking soda
solution soak about a half hour and a putty knife took it off easily.
Thank you chemist.

Isn't that special.

His stomach feels much better after the bicarb.

--
Tekkie