Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Viewing CCTV wirelessly?

DVR is Swann SWDR 41425H-HIS, presently working with LAN cable to router
then wirelessly to PC.
Looking at possibility of wirelessly connecting DVR to router, Googling
comes up with:
http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...y-DVR-Wireless
telling me it should work with this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNA3.../dp/B003G2Z1M6
since it requires no drivers.
DVR manual says USB port is for mouse or USB drive, no mention of anything
else so the big question is will the Netgear adapter worK?
Alternatively could I use an old ISP supplied router connected via LAN cable
to DVR by setting it up as a bridge? That looks a bit complicated and would
hope for a simpler way.

Kenny Cargill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/16 7:25 AM, Kenny wrote:
DVR is Swann SWDR 41425H-HIS, presently working with LAN cable to
router then wirelessly to PC.
Looking at possibility of wirelessly connecting DVR to router,
Googling comes up with:
http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...y-DVR-Wireless

telling me it should work with this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNA3.../dp/B003G2Z1M6

since it requires no drivers.
DVR manual says USB port is for mouse or USB drive, no mention of
anything else so the big question is will the Netgear adapter worK?
Alternatively could I use an old ISP supplied router connected via LAN
cable to DVR by setting it up as a bridge? That looks a bit
complicated and would hope for a simpler way.

Kenny Cargill

While I have no direct experince with that DVR, it would appear that
its USB port is not meant for networking. You may want to consider an
Ethernet-to-WiFi adapter such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOGEAR-GWU62...dp/B004ZMYMSK/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Kenny:
DVR is Swann SWDR 41425H-HIS, presently working with LAN cable to router
then wirelessly to PC.
Looking at possibility of wirelessly connecting DVR to router, Googling
comes up with:
http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...y-DVR-Wireless
telling me it should work with this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNA3.../dp/B003G2Z1M6
since it requires no drivers.
DVR manual says USB port is for mouse or USB drive, no mention of anything
else so the big question is will the Netgear adapter worK?
Alternatively could I use an old ISP supplied router connected via LAN cable
to DVR by setting it up as a bridge? That looks a bit complicated and would
hope for a simpler way.

No experience with DVR, but if the cams are regular IP cams I would hope
that each cam has a web page built in to it and that web page could be
accessed either by a browser or any one of many dedicated IP cam access
utilities.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2016 5:25 AM, Kenny wrote:
DVR is Swann SWDR 41425H-HIS, presently working with LAN cable to router then
wirelessly to PC.
Looking at possibility of wirelessly connecting DVR to router, Googling comes
up with:
http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...y-DVR-Wireless

telling me it should work with this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNA3.../dp/B003G2Z1M6
since it requires no drivers.
DVR manual says USB port is for mouse or USB drive, no mention of anything else
so the big question is will the Netgear adapter worK?

Doubtful. Just because you have a "(hardware) compatible interface"
doesn't mean the software will USE that interface to support a particular
functionality.

E.g., each of my NAS devices (disk-on-a-wire) have USB A connectors.
So, your device could conceivably plug into them. I'd be very confident
stating that it wouldn't "add a wireless capability" to them. Just
like plugging a mouse into that same connector won't give me "mouse
capabilities" (they wouldn't make sense on a NAS device -- no "display"!)

Alternatively could I use an old ISP supplied router connected via LAN cable to
DVR by setting it up as a bridge? That looks a bit complicated and would hope
for a simpler way.

You can explore "power line modems/bridges". Think of them as *wired*
extension cables that use the wiring in your home to transfer the
data.

You might also be able to use a LWAP (light-weight access point)
for the same job. (the powerline devices would be more "turn key")
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

I have only 3 cameras all on wireless, 2 outdoor, 1 indoor. WiFi router
and NAS with surveillance station . Router and NAS sit side by side.
I am able to remotely access the cameras if needed like while we're on
holiday. I am sure wired cameras are much more stable.
have only