Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Win 7 file save question

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:
I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie

Microsoft can tell you which symbols are legit for file names. Do a search for valid symbols for Windows file names.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:
I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie

Go here for guidance as to was is not allowed in file names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

=====
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.

You answered your own question...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 17:02:21 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.

Start over. What exactly are you trying to do?
--
"Your brain is so scary sometimes... it really is."-Jedediah Bila...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 5:02:22 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie

I don't understand the problem. You say it initially comes up as
wanting to save the file with this name:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

Can't you just use the "save as" which AFAIK is always available
to save it anywhere you want, with any permissible Windows filename?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 14:14:23 -0800 (PST), Roy
wrote:

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Tekkie® wrote:
I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.
--
Tekkie

Go here for guidance as to was is not allowed in file names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

=====

I always give files my own names. Just do SAVE AS, and type in a
filename of your choice. Years ago, if I saved a picture, it would be
something like "dog21.jpg" Now that same picture is somthing like
"jl820pkwwnmgk9bo4r99hageswa202kas1atvcelpp12v902w kz34y1.jpg"
You only have so many characters, before you go beyond the limit in
Windows, and that includes the folder names. Not only that, but a long
meaningless filename like that means nothing, and later on I'll wonder
what it is. But Dog21.jpg tells me it's a picture of a dog, and the name
is not going to overload my file length.

I also hate filenames that have "%20" in them. I rename those.

If saving a website, always be careful the name of the website is not
going to exceed file lengths too. I have had that happen, and I had a
hell of a time getting rid of it. I would cause Defrag. Scandisk, etc to
freeze up. I normally had to boot with a DOS floppy and manually delete
that HTML file and it's associated folder with the pictures and stuff.

There is no reason a saved website needs to be called
football.broncos.nfl.2014.finals-www.wikipedia.com.my.source.for.everything.on.eart h-and-beyond.html
Shorten it to something like:
football.broncos.nfl.2014.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2016 04:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.

The way I see it: The problem is that you are saving the shortcut, you
need to save the file itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/06/2016 4:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.

http://www.chami.com/free/url2file_wincon.html

or if have the location and directory access, just ftp 'em...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:43:12 GMT, "Tekkie®"
wrote:

See my reply to Oren.

I missed it. Normally you reply with...

"Oren posted for all of us..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb posted for all of us...

On 02/06/2016 4:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I see a lot of posts here whom know more than me so here it comes...

I am d/l some files and when I rt click to save as it only comes up as:

myfileyouarentgetting.jpg

I presently copy the shortcut which results:

http://www1.Isharefiles.com/members/.../lucky.you.jpg

I paste the shortcut into the save as dropdrown, but since it has slashs in
it and some other illegal safarcus I have to manually parse the file name so
it reads: Thisistheone.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts? It gets tiring after about 5 files like this and I
don't have any hair to pull out.

http://www.chami.com/free/url2file_wincon.html

This looks promising but more work in the end. Thanks for the info!

or if have the location and directory access, just ftp 'em...

Nope, good idea.

--
Tekkie