Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PIR lights and CCTV?

I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny wrote:
I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night.
Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

In my case, no.
I have two high end cameras one in the front, one in the back of our house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny wrote:
I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night.
Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

IR camera uses IR filter to see in the night. Most lens do not have
enough sensitivity to see color in the night. I have commercial grade
cameras but they do not see color in the dark. Check the specs. for
your cameras.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:22:26 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

Why don't you ask the manufacturer of the camera?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:22:26 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

It really depends on the intensity of the reflected light. My dual
mode cameras work in color in normal room lighting but I don't have
enough flood light outside to do it. When I was trying to catch a
thief and I had about 1500 watts of light hitting my driveway
(triggered by the inside light in my car) it saw color.
My cameras were not the clue that solved the case tho, it was a marked
and photographed $2 bill that showed up the next day at the 7-11 at
the end of the street, That put the cops on the bad guy and they
caught him for another crime. (daytime burglary that is more serious
than car hopping)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Kenny:
I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

It will depend on your cameras and the intensity of the light that is
triggered.

I have a bunch of the older model of these el-cheapo cams:
http://tinyurl.com/zz4648r which I run at 1280x720.

Their setup screen lets me choose Night-Always, Daytime-Always, or
automagic switching depending on light level.

I have them set to auto.

Couple hundred watts of floodlight is not enough to make them switch to
daylight, but 500 watts of halogen does the job.

But the change is not instant. The light comes on, and then there are
a few seconds until the camera catches on and switches to daylight mode.

Here are a couple samples of what I get once the flood is on and the
camera has changed over. The second one gives an idea of motion quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1eoRp4ImDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrItm_bmjw
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:22:26 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

Kenny Cargill

I am confused by your question, but it must be me since a lot of
others seemed to understand and responded. What is PIR? To me, PIR
is Passive InfraRed. As in, PIR motion detectors. They detect body
heat rather than relying on IR illumination from lamps. So, I'm not
sure what a PIR light would be. In any case, if all the light in the
area is IR, the cameras will look just like they normally do at night.
The filter someone mentioned filters out IR in the DAY time. Without
the filter, the color daytime picture can look fuzzy. (That is caused
by the lens focusing IR light differently than visible light because
of the different wavelength. That happens with regular light between
different colors, too, but the difference isn't enough to be noticable
in most situations. Refractor telescopes can be purchased for a few
hundred dollars or many thousands of dollars with the difference being
special glass that minimizes that effect costs a lot of money).
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
Pat wrote:

I am confused by your question, but it must be me since a lot of
others seemed to understand and responded. What is PIR? To me, PIR
is Passive InfraRed. As in, PIR motion detectors. They detect body
heat rather than relying on IR illumination from lamps. So, I'm not
sure what a PIR light would be.

I think he means PIR activated traditional lighting (driveway light).

IR triggered flood lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan expressed precisely :
Kenny wrote:

I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

I'm an installer. Impossible to answer without more data. Camera
make/model/lens? Distance to target and light level, in relation to
camera position to target are all factors. Plus any additional light
source.

He's a Brit, so tech is a little different there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny wrote:
I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will
be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or
will
it switch to IR with no colour?

I'm an installer. Impossible to answer without more data. Camera
make/model/lens? Distance to target and light level, in relation to
camera position to target are all factors. Plus any additional light
source.

He's a Brit, so tech is a little different there.

You've insulted me, I'm Irish in the British occupied part of Ireland. Also
to the nitpickers who commented earlier, notice I'm now bottom posting, just
had to tick a box in WLM.

Kenny

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny explained on 2/2/2016 :

Kenny wrote:
I have cameras front and back of house which switch to IR at night. Will
be
getting PIR outside lights soon and curious as to whether if the light
switches on will the camera work as a daytime one, ie: with colour or will
it switch to IR with no colour?

I'm an installer. Impossible to answer without more data. Camera
make/model/lens? Distance to target and light level, in relation to
camera position to target are all factors. Plus any additional light
source.

He's a Brit, so tech is a little different there.

You've insulted me, I'm Irish in the British occupied part of Ireland. Also
to the nitpickers who commented earlier, notice I'm now bottom posting, just
had to tick a box in WLM.

Kenny

Glad you are bottom posting, that's the accepted norm.

Sorry about calling you a Brit Kenny. I didn't know you were a N. I.