Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TELEPHONE RINGS

Several weeks ago a hot water pipe over my utility room burst in my attic.
Ever since then my telephone rings only 1 and a half rings then hangs up.
On the wall in the kitchen which is next to my utillity room I have a wall
phone. It' may be possible the wiring to that phone got wet. Could that
cause the phone to start hanging up after the 1 and a half rings? If so how
do I fix it?

Thanks,

Puzzlement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2016 10:00 PM, puzzlement wrote:
Several weeks ago a hot water pipe over my utility room burst in my
attic. Ever since then my telephone rings only 1 and a half rings then
hangs up. On the wall in the kitchen which is next to my utillity room I
have a wall phone. It' may be possible the wiring to that phone got wet.
Could that cause the phone to start hanging up after the 1 and a half
rings? If so how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Puzzlement

Check any connections for corrosion. I had a jack near the floor get
wet and a couple of months later had phone problems. Disconnected it
and it was OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:00:25 -0600, "puzzlement"
wrote:

Several weeks ago a hot water pipe over my utility room burst in my attic.
Ever since then my telephone rings only 1 and a half rings then hangs up.
On the wall in the kitchen which is next to my utillity room I have a wall
phone. It' may be possible the wiring to that phone got wet. Could that
cause the phone to start hanging up after the 1 and a half rings? If so how
do I fix it?

Thanks,

Puzzlement

Go out to the Dmark, unplug "the house" and plug a phone directly into
the phone company side. Try it from there.
That will decide if it is your wire or them.
Water in the cable or jacks would cause all sorts of problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2016 10:00 PM, puzzlement wrote:
Several weeks ago a hot water pipe over my utility room burst in my
attic. Ever since then my telephone rings only 1 and a half rings then
hangs up. On the wall in the kitchen which is next to my utillity room I
have a wall phone. It' may be possible the wiring to that phone got wet.
Could that cause the phone to start hanging up after the 1 and a half
rings? If so how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Puzzlement

Yes, a high resistance short anywhere could be the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2016 12:27 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Yes, a high resistance short anywhere could be the culprit.

Er, I wuz thinkin' low resistance shorts. The kind you don't need to
wear a belt with.
Huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first thing an infant learns in this world, is this:

When a telephone rings, you say "HELLO".

"HELLO" "HELLO" "HELLO" "HELLO" "HELLO" "HELLO"