Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Monster storm, you guys ready on the east coast?

Per Stormin Mormon:
Every few years there is a story about
a family who lost power. Papa goes out and lights
up some charcoal and brings it indoors. The family
huddles over the heat source, and promptly dies of
carbon monoxide.

Somebody mentioned a similar recurring tragedy after
hurricanes in Florida - only it's a generator
poorly placed so the carbon mon infiltrates the
house.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Monster storm, careful with monoxide

On 1/23/2016 8:50 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
Every few years there is a story about
a family who lost power. Papa goes out and lights
up some charcoal and brings it indoors. The family
huddles over the heat source, and promptly dies of
carbon monoxide.

Somebody mentioned a similar recurring tragedy after
hurricanes in Florida - only it's a generator
poorly placed so the carbon mon infiltrates the
house.

And hurricanes are often in super hot weather. so,
the windows are all open for breeze, and monoxide
fumes. Easy enough to run a fan (off the generator
power) to blow the exhaust away. I did that one time
while using a gasoline power log splitter at a
friend's house, one hot summer day.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 22:33:12 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

Lawns in Nevada? Surely you jest.

New construction homes cannot have turf lawns anymore. We get cash to
remove turf.

"SNWA will rebate customers $2 per square foot of grass
removed and replaced with desert landscaping up to the first 5,000
square feet converted per property, per year. Beyond the first 5,000
feet, SNWA will provide a rebate of $1 per square foot. "

"The Water Smart Landscape rebate program has helped the
community upgrade more than 175 million square feet of lawn to
water-efficient landscaping, saving the community billions of gallons
of water."

https://www.snwa.com/rebates/wsl.html

"Xeriscape" landscaping. (Pics) https://tinyurl.com/j5lj3c6

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 23:16:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Okay then. All is right with the world. She mow the lawn too?

Lawns in Nevada? Surely you jest.

Sadly, no. People moved there from the east and had to have lawns.
There are programs now to replace them with natural landscape that uses
no water.

I'm down to ~ 300 s.f. left in the back yard. May take is out and put
a food garden in the spot. Everything else is rock
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:04:10 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/22/2016 11:58 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
Three things needed in life: food, warmth and shelter.

A cold weather tip on CNN... if you lose power don't use the BBQ
grill inside the house for heat.

Charcoal is also a no-no. Really pumps out carbon
monoxide. Every few years there is a story about
a family who lost power. Papa goes out and lights
up some charcoal and brings it indoors. The family
huddles over the heat source, and promptly dies of
carbon monoxide.

Some years back, a local family died after they put a generator in the
garage and left the house entry door from the garage open. IIRC he
did not pay his power bill (can't remember the details exactly). They
were just trying to stay warm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

It's coming to get cha...

Three things needed in life: food, warmth and shelter.

Good luck from sunny global warming Nevada.

Uh Oren.. You offering? Damn, they shut all the transportation down already.
24" already horizontal snow about 25mph and 23 deg.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 07:56:20 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/22/2016 7:32 PM, Oren wrote:

I'm guessing the store shelves are being emptied. Same happens in
hurricanes and other major storms, Stay warm.

About a week ago, I gassed up the snow blower,
made sure it ran. Not going to enjoy this storm.
My part of NYS (western end) gets lake effect
snow off two Great Lakes. We can get burried
badly in snow. Hoping the power stays on.

What's a snow blower ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/22/2016 7:32 PM, Oren wrote:

I'm guessing the store shelves are being emptied. Same happens in
hurricanes and other major storms, Stay warm.

About a week ago, I gassed up the snow blower,
made sure it ran. Not going to enjoy this storm.
My part of NYS (western end) gets lake effect
snow off two Great Lakes. We can get burried
badly in snow. Hoping the power stays on.

What's a snow blower ?

A Gay cloud? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Goofy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2016 8:48 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

December 31 - I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8 - Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep
giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Sounds like mega snow storm Jonas.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2016 4:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 07:56:20 -0500, Stormin Mormon
About a week ago, I gassed up the snow blower,
made sure it ran. Not going to enjoy this storm.
My part of NYS (western end) gets lake effect
snow off two Great Lakes. We can get burried
badly in snow. Hoping the power stays on.

What's a snow blower ?

Lawn mower, but rotated about 90 degrees.

--
..
Christopher A. Young