Posted to alt.home.repair

Default squirrel drilling water lines

This is a long shot, but maybe somebody can help.

On a construction contract translated from Romanian, there is a charge for "squirrel drilling."

We need to explain it.

What I think it probably is is some kind of directional drilling direct bore - this involves installation of some water line.

But I can't figure out what could get translated as squirrel. Or, mistranslated as squirrel. I don't have the original document, just the translation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 06:22:50 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

This is a long shot, but maybe somebody can help.

On a construction contract translated from Romanian, there is a charge for "squirrel drilling."

We need to explain it.

What I think it probably is is some kind of directional drilling direct bore - this involves installation of some water line.

But I can't figure out what could get translated as squirrel. Or, mistranslated as squirrel. I don't have the original document, just the translation.

According to google translate https://translate.google.com/

squirrel = veverita in Romanian

I tried a bunch of english terms to find anything similar -
.... drilling boring tunnelling horizontal cave etc ..

earth = vizuina lair, den, burrow, hole, earth, haunt

I wonder if it isn't a translation issue - but rather a terminology
issue ... ? Maybe squirrel drilling is clear to Romanians ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it is some sort of trenchless boring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/16 9:22 AM, TimR wrote:
This is a long shot, but maybe somebody can help.

On a construction contract translated from Romanian, there is a charge for "squirrel drilling."

We need to explain it.

What I think it probably is is some kind of directional drilling direct bore - this involves installation of some water line.

But I can't figure out what could get translated as squirrel. Or, mistranslated as squirrel. I don't have the original document, just the translation.

Being curious, a Google search turned up this webpage PDF with
reference ( and a photo !) to "Squirrel drilling" (along with lots of
hits re shooting squirrels with a rifle).

See page 96 of http://tinyurl.com/zh4tdjh Photo is on page 98.

aka
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....cWw &cad=rja

Perhaps it is a "European" thing ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But I can't figure out what could get translated as squirrel. Or, mistranslated as squirrel. I don't have the original document, just the translation.

_A squirrel running a drilling rig_ ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXSjr-Lzt8

"Hey Jeremy. Who let the cows out"