Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Got shocked touching electric range and pot rack

OK, this scared the heck out of me.

I was getting a pot off of my pot rack, and I put a pot on a burner of the stove, touching both at the same time, and got a pretty good electric shock.

The burner was off, and the pot rack is not grounded, so I'm REAL confused as to what happened.

The range is a Kenmore. The pot rack is one that I made,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:53:12 -0800 (PST), Jackson Hawk
wrote:

OK, this scared the heck out of me.

I was getting a pot off of my pot rack, and I put a pot on a burner of the stove, touching both at the same time, and got a pretty good electric shock.

The burner was off, and the pot rack is not grounded, so I'm REAL confused as to what happened.

The range is a Kenmore. The pot rack is one that I made,

Check the grounding of your electric panel. If the panel is not
properly grounded, earth, may not equal "ground" on the case of the
stove. Next thing is to check the neutral/ground on the stove because
they are the same wire on ranges prior to the 1996 code adoption and a
loose wire on that will impose up to 120v on the case of the stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, this scared the heck out of me.

I was getting a pot off of my pot rack, and I put a pot on a burner of the stove, touching both at the same time, and got a pretty good electric shock.

The burner was off, and the pot rack is not grounded, so I'm REAL confused as to what happened.

The range is a Kenmore. The pot rack is one that I made,

Check the grounding of your electric panel. If the panel is not
properly grounded, earth, may not equal "ground" on the case of the
stove. Next thing is to check the neutral/ground on the stove because
they are the same wire on ranges prior to the 1996 code adoption and a
loose wire on that will impose up to 120v on the case of the stove.

Something is clearly unusual with the pot rack. From how it's installed,
it should not be grounded. As Doug pointed out, it's possible the pot
rack install hit a cable and it's the pot rack that's the problem and
energized. Either that or the pot rack is somehow grounded and the
other problems you point out are present.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jackson is gone...PUFF! (90% hot-wire on the rack)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2016 1:53 AM, Jackson Hawk wrote:
OK, this scared the heck out of me.

I was getting a pot off of my pot rack, and I put a pot on a burner of the stove, touching both at the same time, and got a pretty good electric shock.

The burner was off, and the pot rack is not grounded, so I'm REAL confused as to what happened.

The range is a Kenmore. The pot rack is one that I made,

I worked with a similar stuation. The woman got shocked
from ONE burner on the electric cooktop, when she stirred
the pot with metal stir, and touchecd the edge of the
kitchen counter top which had metal edge. Other three
burners, no shock.

I lifted up the range top. Three burners, the sleeve of
the burner was grounded with a snap in connector. The
burner which was shocking was a replacement burner, and
was not grounded. I ran a wire from the sleeve of the
burner (what touches the pot) to a screw I drilled under
the range top. That solved the problem. Slight bit of
power was leaking through the asbestos inside the burner.

Hope this is of some help.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2016 07:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I worked with a similar stuation. The woman got shocked
from ONE burner on the electric cooktop, when she stirred
the pot with metal stir, and touchecd the edge of the
kitchen counter top which had metal edge. Other three
burners, no shock.

I had an electric range with a ground problem. I'd lean against the
kitchen sink and pat my wife on the butt while she was cooking. I wonder
why she divorced me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2016 9:56 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/19/2016 07:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I worked with a similar stuation. The woman got shocked
from ONE burner on the electric cooktop, when she stirred
the pot with metal stir, and touchecd the edge of the
kitchen counter top which had metal edge. Other three
burners, no shock.

I had an electric range with a ground problem. I'd lean against the
kitchen sink and pat my wife on the butt while she was cooking. I wonder
why she divorced me?

I'm sure, no connection.

Everything fine at ohm.

Currently, no resistance.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Gas or electric range? Curt Home Repair 58 December 29th 11 02:13 AM
Electric Range Wiring komobu Home Repair 8 October 13th 09 01:48 PM
Electric range TH Home Repair 9 February 12th 07 09:39 PM
Electric Range Element Maureen Home Repair 4 April 24th 05 10:42 PM
why don't I get shocked by touching the elec. panel? Charles M Home Ownership 2 April 4th 05 02:28 AM