Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thunder that kills modems

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 20:32:12 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 20:26:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/9/2016 7:42 PM,
wrote:
I'm in the country, and at the end of the power and phone lines. I have
everything well grounded. I only have dialup via buried copper wire. I
now know that there is no solution except unplugging the phone line.
Those modems just cant handle the surges. I have never had a phone or
answering machine ruined.

My biggest problem is remembering to unplug it. Sometimes I forget and
am not home when a storm hits.... However I have been pretty good at
unplugging it these days, automatically whenever I shut off the
computer.

In my opinion, those surge protectors are worthless for lightning.

In today's post modem society, replacements
must be inexpensive. I have at least one
modem on the shelf I can't stand to throw
away. Though I doubt i'll need it again.

Surge protectors are not very usefull for a direct lightning strike,
but they will protect quite effectively against induced surges from
near misses (or even long distance misses) which used to kill modems
regularly. Later modems were a LOT more resistant to those induced
spikes.

Direct lightning strikes are actually pretty rare, even here in
Florida where we have thunderstorms all the time. We had one today.
Good surge protection DOES work but it is not just plugging in a
protector and calling it a day. You need to have layers of protection
connected to a good grounding system.
I have a weather station, connected to a PC and the sensors are on a
pole with a lightning rod on top. It has been hit twice that I know of
for sure. The first time I lost a serial port. After working on the
protection more, the second hit just caused a reboot on the PC and all
was OK. I have a dish, TV antenna, 5 TVs, 8 PCs and nothing ever gets
unplugged. It is all about protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thunder

On 1/8/2016 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:
When I hear thunder, or I'm temporarily away from my XP Home computer and
thunder is predicted, I turn the system and UPS off and unplug the modem
telephone line. Overkill? Before I did this I lost the built-in modem to a
nearby lightning strike (I assume).

However most businesses and many other systems are left on durng storms
evidently with no problems.

What do you do?

TIA

There are surge protectors that include phone line protection.

I'm on cable but have UPS and surge protector on computer and a few
years ago surge from high tension line falling on low tension line blew
out all my home surge protectors but only loss of equipment was a
microwave oven not on one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 6:08:47 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 16:57:46 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Yeah but thunder and lightning are usually accompanied by rain which
makes for wet cables...which conduct electricity.

But aren't dry cables supposed to conduct electricity?

Dry lightning ?

Dry heaving?

Dry humping?

Dry humor?