Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat leakage from my furnace

I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Heating guys use clay/oil-base window glazing for patching that kind of stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, Kevin M wrote:
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

--

theres metal real duct tape for sealing ducts....

unlike the junk duct tape that falls off instantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin M wrote:
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a
gap in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of
my setup with some notations of what everything is ... the red X
circle indicates where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC
condensation leak tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate
this somehow to keep as much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or
if this venting is there for a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

Is the furnace space heated ? If so , leave it . If not , stuff something in
it to block the air .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2016 10:44 PM, Kevin M wrote:
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

silicon caulk or Duct Seal
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO8XD6

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:

It looks to me like the leak needs to be checked at it's source; which
is not where the drain pipe is exiting the unit.

....he's talking/showing an air leak from the plenum...what are you referring to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Kevin M, Kevin M wrote:
Kevin M wrote:

I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft

building. I
was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and after turning it

back
on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap in a panel attached to

the
furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup with some notations of what
everything is ... the red X circle indicates where the heat is leaking from

(the
gap where the AC condensation leak tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can
insulate this somehow to keep as much heat feeding to the ducts as possible

or
if this venting is there for a reason?
http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

Thanks all ... I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some random reason
that air was supposed to vent from there. It didn't seem like that would
be the case, it was just too much heat escaping to possibly be efficient.
I also didn't want to shove something in there that would just burn or
melt, so I will check to make sure it's not an issue somewhere further up
the chain and then use aluminium tape to seal it up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony944 wrote:
"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a
gap in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of
my setup with some notations of what everything is ... the red X
circle indicates where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC
condensation leak tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate
this somehow to keep as much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or
if this venting is there for a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical
position. "EXPLAIN"

You obviously know little about HVAC systems , air handlers are often placed
on their side like that . There are different types of evap coils , some
designed for horizontal and some for vertical applications . The location of
his air leak is the evap coil box , which is always on the output side of
the furnace/air handler unit .
Educate yourself before you spout off , you might not come across as such
an idiot .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 03:44:01 +0000, Kevin M
wrote:

I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

Geat a wad of Duxseal (AKA DumDum) and pack the gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:04:12 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 9:44:04 PM UTC-6, Kevin M wrote:
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

--

Heating guys use clay/oil-base window glazing for patching that kind of stuff.

Most of them actually use a product made for the job, called
"duxseal" A pound costs under 4 bucks It works like plasticine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:07:27 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, Kevin M wrote:
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft
building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and
after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap
in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup
with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates
where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak
tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as
much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for
a reason?

http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN

--

theres metal real duct tape for sealing ducts....

unlike the junk duct tape that falls off instantly.

You'd have one heck of a time sealing the gap he indicated with ANY
kind of tape - the foil tape in particular.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tony944 wrote:

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

OMG, a couple of million air handlers were installed wrong!

An air handler is a motor, blower, controls, sheet metal housing. The
work in every plane. They don't care what direction they are in, they
do a simple operation like spinning and moving air. You put them where
they fit best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tony944 wrote:

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

OMG, a couple of million air handlers were installed wrong!

An air handler is a motor, blower, controls, sheet metal housing. The
work in every plane. They don't care what direction they are in, they
do a simple operation like spinning and moving air. You put them where
they fit best.

Sure thing who said furnace should only stand up? Many different
install. methods and styles are available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:21:48 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tony944 wrote:

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

OMG, a couple of million air handlers were installed wrong!

An air handler is a motor, blower, controls, sheet metal housing. The
work in every plane. They don't care what direction they are in, they
do a simple operation like spinning and moving air. You put them where
they fit best.

Sure thing who said furnace should only stand up? Many different
install. methods and styles are available.

And some can be mounted either way, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 7:33:29 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2016 1:58 PM, Tony944 wrote:

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

OMG, a couple of million air handlers were installed wrong!

An air handler is a motor, blower, controls, sheet metal housing. The
work in every plane. They don't care what direction they are in, they
do a simple operation like spinning and moving air. You put them where
they fit best.

As long as that plane is vertical or horizontal it's true. The furnace and
AC aren't going to work if they are on a 45 deg incline, unless it's some
special design I've never seen. You have issues of condensate drainage
from the burner and AC for example.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony944 , Kevin M wrote:
tony wrote:

I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"
--

Appreciate you looking out but as many others have mentioned it's
perfectly normal to have horizontal installations, it's even in the

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

Tony944 wrote:
"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Dear sir You need some education too!!!
I know that many Air Systems are position on side,
but air handler need to be configure for that set up???
If the leak is in Evaporator, but the evaporator supposedly should have
negative pressure air in other words it should be on vacuum when running,
So I can't say that you are right and I can not say that you are wrong.
But your own words There are different types of evaporator coils.
Look at Evaporator enclosure it shows intake and discharged
from same enclosure, perhaps you can tell me how that evaporator
fan is configured with in. I s it fan as fan or is it Squirrel cage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 7:58:14 PM UTC-5, Tony944 wrote:

Dear sir You need some education too!!!
I know that many Air Systems are position on side,
but air handler need to be configure for that set up???
If the leak is in Evaporator, but the evaporator supposedly should have
negative pressure air in other words it should be on vacuum when running,
So I can't say that you are right and I can not say that you are wrong.
But your own words There are different types of evaporator coils.
Look at Evaporator enclosure it shows intake and discharged
from same enclosure, perhaps you can tell me how that evaporator
fan is configured with in. I s it fan as fan or is it Squirrel cage.

Didn't you post this:

"I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup
You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position.
"EXPLAIN"

Or did you leave your PC unattended and someone else typed it?

Now you say:

Look at Evaporator enclosure it shows intake and discharged
from same enclosure, perhaps you can tell me how that evaporator
fan is configured with in. I s it fan as fan or is it Squirrel cage.

The pic he supplied shows no such thing. It shows a horizontal
furnace, air entering on right, passing through the furnace,
exiting through plenum on the left, which has the AC coils.
Very normal installation. And there is no "evaporator fan".
There is a blower in the furnace section that moves the air
for both heating and cooling. The installation is perfectly
normal, he just needs to seal the air leakage at the condensate
drain.

Nuff said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villain wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:

It looks to me like the leak needs to be checked at it's source;
which is not where the drain pipe is exiting the unit.

...he's talking/showing an air leak from the plenum...what are you
referring to?

Really, that red X is at a plenum?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony944 wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

Tony944 wrote:
"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

-----------
First off , you need to configure your newsreader to drop sigs that are
placed below a delimiter - that's a space then 2 dashes then another space .
Now , I'll answer your mistakes in order ...

That blower cabinet can be set either way , it's a condensing type exaust
outlet .
The evap coil is ALWAYS on the output of the furnace , whether vert or
horizontal .
If you're referring to the "AC from roof" , those are refrigerant lines
and are often run side by side . If you're referring to airflow , the ducts
to the outlets are on the left , air from the furnace unit comes in from the
right . There is NO fan in the evap box , air is moved by the fan in the
furnace unit . The air leak in question is around the CLEARLY MARKED
condensation drain line .
As far as education , I spent over 40 years in building trades , and Dad
ran an AC&R business . An observant feller that isn't afraid to show his
ignorance (that means lack of knowledge ...) by asking questions can learn a
lot ... but those who already "know everything" will continue on in their
unknown ignorance until something bite them on the ass . Yours is coming ...
Oh , and here's the link to that furnace's install manual :
http://www.armstrongair.com/_/pdfs/i..._506724-01.pdf
Which clearly says this unit can be installed in either orientation .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2016 10:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Dear sir You need some education too!!!
I know that many Air Systems are position on side,
but air handler need to be configure for that set up???
If the leak is in Evaporator, but the evaporator supposedly should have
negative pressure air in other words it should be on vacuum when running,
So I can't say that you are right and I can not say that you are wrong.
But your own words There are different types of evaporator coils.
Look at Evaporator enclosure it shows intake and discharged
from same enclosure, perhaps you can tell me how that evaporator
fan is configured with in. I s it fan as fan or is it Squirrel cage.

The evaporators I've serviced have all been after
the blower fan. Which makes the evaporator cased
coil positive pressure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2016 10:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
That blower cabinet can be set either way , it's a condensing type exaust
outlet .
The evap coil is ALWAYS on the output of the furnace , whether vert or
horizontal .

Output of the furnace. Would that be higher or
lower than atmospheric pressure?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:51:17 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tony944 wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

Tony944 wrote:
"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

You sure about that??? Every A?C evap coil I've ever seen in a
domestic HVAC system has had the "A" coil in the outlet side of the
air handler - in other words in the "pressurized" plenum.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 10:51:21 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tony944 wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

Tony944 wrote:
"Kevin M" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

+1

Tony really needs to just stop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:53:07 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/11/2016 3:21 PM, wrote:
As far as education , I spent over 40 years in building trades , and Dad
ran an AC&R business . An observant feller that isn't afraid to show his
ignorance (that means lack of knowledge ...) by asking questions can learn a
lot ... but those who already "know everything" will continue on in their
unknown ignorance until something bite them on the ass . Yours is coming ...
Oh , and here's the link to that furnace's install manual :
http://www.armstrongair.com/_/pdfs/i..._506724-01.pdf
Which clearly says this unit can be installed in either orientation .

Thanks, Clare. That manual sure will clear up
a lot of questions.

Wasn't me that provided it, but a good manual is a good start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2016 10:36 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:53:07 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/11/2016 3:21 PM,
wrote:
As far as education , I spent over 40 years in building trades , and Dad
ran an AC&R business . An observant feller that isn't afraid to show his
ignorance (that means lack of knowledge ...) by asking questions can learn a
lot ... but those who already "know everything" will continue on in their
unknown ignorance until something bite them on the ass . Yours is coming ...
Oh , and here's the link to that furnace's install manual :
http://www.armstrongair.com/_/pdfs/i..._506724-01.pdf
Which clearly says this unit can be installed in either orientation .

Thanks, Clare. That manual sure will clear up
a lot of questions.

Wasn't me that provided it, but a good manual is a good start.

I'm replying to the bottom posted text, as
this is a bottom posting list.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

New furnace isn't giving off much heat Jdog Home Repair 64 November 11th 10 01:26 AM
Furnace vs. Heat Pump Kate Home Repair 5 December 9th 06 02:59 PM
Old furnace to heat garage Martik Home Repair 16 December 23rd 04 02:32 PM
Furnace Blower Comes on but heat does not Joe Lennox Home Ownership 9 December 23rd 04 06:05 AM
New heat pump and furnace on the way. tflfb Home Repair 6 September 5th 03 11:15 PM