Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carrier Infinity - Emergency Heat Comes On Too Often

We have 2 Carrier Infinity Units and I suspect our installer may not understand them.

When the ambient temperature outside is, say 45, the emergency heat kicks on. And it stays on for a long time. I know because I check the Energy Tracking and there is a lot of usage under "Electric Heat" (as opposed to Heat Pump). I would have thought this would only happen if there is a real disparity between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

Our installer says that the only way to fix this is to completely disable the emergency by selecting "heat pump only" in "Heat Source" on the thermostat. Surely that isn't the design of the system, is it? Any suggestions.

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A
Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005
Heat Pump: Model 25HNB948a00310

Second System:

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A
Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005
Heat Pump Model 25HNB936A00310

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:27:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

We have 2 Carrier Infinity Units and I suspect our installer may not understand them.

When the ambient temperature outside is, say 45, the emergency heat kicks on. And it stays on for a long time. I know because I check the Energy Tracking and there is a lot of usage under "Electric Heat" (as opposed to Heat Pump). I would have thought this would only happen if there is a real disparity between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

Is the compressor on at the same time? I don't have a heat pump, but
I thought if it's 45 out, it's likely that the heat pump runs all the
time, since its heat output is low. If it's not going to be able to
reach the thermostat setting, it will turn on the electric heat, but I
don't know the algorirth for that.

Does it rush to reach the temp right away or does it wait to see how
well the heat pump does? These days I woud think it could calculate
what the heat pump will do in the next 30 minutes and if the answer is
fail to reach the set temp, turn on t he electric heat.

How long have you had the system? Did it always work this way? Has
somethin gchanged? What? Is your total electric usage within what
they told you it would be? How far off? Same questions abou tBTUs.
Any other info you have is also needed.

Our installer says that the only way to fix this is to completely disable the emergency by selecting "heat pump only" in "Heat Source" on the thermostat. Surely that isn't the design of the system, is it? Any suggestions.

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A
Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005
Heat Pump: Model 25HNB948a00310

Second System:

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A
Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005
Heat Pump Model 25HNB936A00310

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 12:51:52 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
[...]

I'd go find the install manual for the heat pump and the thermostat.
I have them for mine, but then I have a Rheem and you can find them
on the internet. With Carrier, IDK, wouldn't be surprised that you
can't find it online. With those, you can figure out what the possible
settings are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 9:27:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
We have 2 Carrier Infinity Units and I suspect our installer may not understand them.

When the ambient temperature outside is, say 45, the emergency heat kicks on. And it stays on for a long time. I know because I check the Energy Tracking and there is a lot of usage under "Electric Heat" (as opposed to Heat Pump). I would have thought this would only happen if there is a real disparity between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

Our installer says that the only way to fix this is to completely disable the emergency by selecting "heat pump only" in "Heat Source" on the thermostat. Surely that isn't the design of the system, is it? Any suggestions.

I'm curious, when was the last time the condensing units were cleaned? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 11:39 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm curious, when was the last time the condensing units were cleaned? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

And on a heat pump, they have two condensers.

One condensing unit.

Years ago, I did a no cooling call on a split
system (natural gas furnace for heat). Took
me a lot of head scratching and a call to my
old boss to figure out that a cond unit that
looks clean can be totally not moving heat.
Seen that many, many times since then.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 11:39 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm curious, when was the last time the condensing units were cleaned? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

If Heather can have two mommies (taught in
some schools) can a heat pump have two
condensers?

--
..