Mike

Default Carrier Infinity 18 Worth it?

I Live in humid miami florida and have a single story 2000 SQFEET home, is a
Carrier Infinity 18 system +Infinity control worth it?

The system uses a FE4 Fancoil + the Infinity 18 outside compressor +
Infinity Control

SQLit

"Mike" wrote in message ...
I Live in humid miami florida and have a single story 2000 SQFEET home, is

Carrier Infinity 18 system +Infinity control worth it?

The system uses a FE4 Fancoil + the Infinity 18 outside compressor +
Infinity Control

The installer is more important than the equipment. After doing some reading
about the compressor you might consider Trane or American Standard. (same
parent company) they have an 19 seer compressor.

How long do you plan to stay in the home?

http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp

This site will allow you to do some what ifs.

I got a quote this spring for an new 14seer Trane with VFD air handler.
$5400.00 Since I am not planning on staying in this home for more than 5
years I did not change it.

I did put an VFD air handler in my last home. It was an 12 seer AS. The VFD
air handler worked amazingly well in the humid conditions that I
experienced.

---

Mike

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I plan on staying till I retire which is a long time 15+ years

The installer is a good one with a long history, its only a matter of
payoff.

You mentioned looking at the compressor, are there issues with the Carrier
system?

5400 for the trane, how many tons was it?

SQLit

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

It was an 3 ton system remove and replace condenser in attic and compressor
outside.

I would chose an scroll compressor over almost anything. Unless you go to
the 2 speed ones. They were not around when I replaced the last time, 12
years ago and a 5 ton.

Since your staying that long and can afford it I would go for it. Do not
forget to upgrade your insulation when they are done. I added R-19 to my
home in Phoenix this spring. Originally it was R-30. Old owners highest bill
was $250 mine was $154.

I paid a little more than $4000 for the unit on the old home. It was the
highest seer that I could find at the time. I was never sorry that I
installed it. The only problem with the unit was the VFD motor crapped
after 5 years. I made a couple of calls and found out that the rear housing
of the motor went bad. Replaced for $70 and a half days labor for me.

---

Mike

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info, yes the unit is an 18 Seer 2 speed compressor (10 year
compressor warranty)

Does 2 speed means it becomes from a 4 ton to a 3 ton during colder months??

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-557355-.htm
castelobrw wrote:

Mike wrote:

I Live in humid miami florida and have a single story 2000 SQFEET home,
is a
Carrier Infinity 18 system +Infinity control worth it?

The system uses a FE4 Fancoil + the Infinity 18 outside compressor +
Infinity Control

living in a humid area, you are required to set your fan coil at lower rpm
in order to get rid of the moisture and keep your are more comfortable so
i assume that you have a ECM motor in order to get the most of your system
other wise if you have PSC motor it is like having a standard system so my
suggestion is to check your indoor blower motor, to obtain the most of
your infinity system

-------------------------------------
| |
| _ |
_________|__( )__|_________
x/ _| |( . )| |_ \x
|_| ---*|_|

Posted to alt.home.repair

roups.com...
castelobrw wrote:

Mike wrote:

I Live in humid miami florida and have a single story 2000 SQFEET home,
is a
Carrier Infinity 18 system +Infinity control worth it?

The system uses a FE4 Fancoil + the Infinity 18 outside compressor +
Infinity Control

living in a humid area, you are required to set your fan coil at lower rpm
in order to get rid of the moisture and keep your are more comfortable so
i assume that you have a ECM motor in order to get the most of your system
other wise if you have PSC motor it is like having a standard system so my
suggestion is to check your indoor blower motor, to obtain the most of
your infinity system

How could anyone tell you if it's worth it when we don't know:

A - What price you've been quoted versus other vendors alternatives and what
utility rebates, credits, etc may factor in.

B - What efficiency and price the other alternatives are

C - What the cost of electricity is in your area

D - Whether someone is home 7 days a week or you're away most of the time so
it can be setback and runs less.

E - How long you plan on staying in the home.

I recently went through that analysis and concluded
for me, the increased cost between a 16 or 18 seer
system and a 14.5 system was not worth it. In my
case the cost difference was over $700.

More important than the eqpt brand or efficiency is
that the installers be competent and that the eqpt is
sized correctly.