Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arc-fault breaker trips

On 12/25/2015 10:48 PM, wrote:

There is no legal scenario where you will have a panelboard without a
service disconnect. Even in those rare cases where you can have the
1-6 disconnects, they all need to be "service rated". Until very
recently a "lighting and appliance" panelboard required no more than
2. (That was to accommodate "split bus" panels).
A couple cycles ago they removed the distinction about the types of
panels.

BTW are you sure there isn't a back fed breaker in that panel that is
acting as the disconnect? (probably not legal but happens sometime)

Out of curiosity, what if it's a bolt in breaker panel? Of course I didn't see those panels in homes but in commercial applications. I'm trying to remember if I ever came across a bolt in panel that had a vertical KO up top that wasn't filled with a large frame breaker but was using one of the horizontal positions with a small frame 100 amp or less breaker as a main. It's been a while and I've no idea where my last NEC manual or even my Ugly's Electrical References is. (•?•)

Bolt on or not, the line feed cables can not be connected directly to
the bus bar without a disconnect. Nor can the banel be "unfused". The
only "legal" way I can think of this being set up would be with the
fuse and disconnect "at the pole" and it would be a very rare
situation where that would be allowed in an urban or semi-urban area.
I've seen it in rural areas - where the main disconnect and circuit
protection are "on the pole" but generalluy then the meter is also "on
the pole"

No disconnect on the meter base???

Not that I could see: the meter protrudes through a hole in the box,
which is sealed by the utility.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 10:45:10 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/25/2015 10:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

You have a violation there that could be pretty serious if you have a
fault in the panel board enclosure. There is nothing to clear the
fault.
Be real careful with tools in there and seriously think about having
it fixed.

Shower Trips breaker AnthonyL UK diy 30 August 24th 15 07:09 AM
Basement Breaker Trips AT[_4_] Home Repair 4 September 10th 08 07:16 PM
circut breaker trips fencingmom Home Repair 9 October 31st 07 10:59 PM
power out but no breaker trips gartulan Home Repair 13 September 20th 06 04:43 AM
circuit breaker trips jozep7075 Home Ownership 4 January 14th 05 10:53 PM