Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This is an ODDBALL reason for an Electrical Fire

Several year ago, a guy I know bought a rural home which had a fire. He
pretty much paid for the land and a garage, and the house was included
for free. Aside from smoke damage, most of the house was salvagable, and
had not burned. But one room was burned. He knew he had a lot of work to
do, but for a good price, he bought it.

He has since been rebuilding. Initially, the room that burned had to be
rebuilt from the floor up. The rest of the house had to have much of the
sheetrock, cabinets, flooring and so on, replaced because of the smoke
damage, as well as replacing all the wiring.

But, there is a reason I'm posting this, because it's a very bizarre
situation. The room where the fire started, ignited because of an
electrical short. But one that no one would expect. Whoever built that
house, put sheetrock on the walls, covered them with chicken wire, then
applied another layer of sheetrock over the chicken wire. Dont ask me
why.... I asked the guy who now owns it, and he said he tried to locate
the original owner or builder, but it appers the guy died from old age.
So, no one knows why they used 2 layers of sheetrock or the chicken
wire.

My thoughts on this could be two reasons. He was going to apply some
sort of stucco to the walls and the chicken wire was the base for it,
then changed his mind and just covered the walls again with more
sheetrock. OR the chicken wire was intended to keep rodents out, but I
know for fact that mice and rats can get thru a hole much smaller than
the holes in chicken wire. Anyhow, no one really knows the reason.....

However, the fire was caused because a drywall screw penetrated an
electrical cable. That same screw was contacting the chicken wire
between the layers of sheetrock. And that chicken wire was likely
grounded to an electrical box, or maybe pipes, or something else. It was
probably like that for years. One day the chicken wire got hot enough to
start the place on fire.

This was the determination of the cause of the fire from the fire
investigators. The present owner said when they tore those walls down,
they could see sections of the chicken wire were welded and melted and
left burn marks on the paper coating of the sheetrock. He also said the
teardown was a tough job because of that chicken wire.

This is definitely an unusual case, so I thought I'd share it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Maybe chicken wires were there to shield EMF?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 23:39:59 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Maybe chicken wires were there to shield EMF?

That's my guess.
Did he have any tin foil hats?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:40:05 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought too. A Faraday cage. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Cage Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe chicken wires were there to shield EMF?

That's my guess.
Did he have any tin foil hats?

It took me a few minutes to find the study done by MIT grad students on the subject of aluminum hats. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

https://keysduplicated.com/~ali/helmet/

[8~{} Uncle Foil Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

On a side note, my previous house, built in 1972 in the south western
suburbs of Chicago, used drywall coated with aluminum foil on the back,
as a vapor barrier. Obviously the chicken wire wouldn't act as a vapor
barrier, however, it was interesting that almost all cell phones,
including mine, didn't work inside this house. When I was forced to
replace the phone (lost, actually hidden under the car seat), the new
one worked perfectly, even in the basement! When it was finally found, I
kept the new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Maybe chicken wires were there to shield EMF?

or just random radio noise, i'm not sure how
effective grounded chicken wire would be, but
if you're a radio geek and experimenting with
antenna type stuff...

no tinfoil hat required if the guy was actually
a hobbyist.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 1:14:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Does every room have the chicken wire?

If not, perhaps this one room was intended to be a "safe room",
either for habitation during a complete and utter societal breakdown/
zombie apocalypse or to add a layer of protection for a gun safe, money
safe, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:14:45 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Pretty obvious, to keep the chickens in. Or out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thank you. That is a unique situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 07:53:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Does every room have the chicken wire?

He did not say if it was every room, but he sort of made it sound like
it is. When I see him again, I'll ask.

If not, perhaps this one room was intended to be a "safe room",
either for habitation during a complete and utter societal breakdown/
zombie apocalypse or to add a layer of protection for a gun safe, money
safe, etc.

Apparently the former owner was very old, since he has since passed away
from old age. It's possible the guy had age related mental issues.... It
also appears there was no "builder" (as in construction company), so the
old guy must have built it himself, probably with the help of friends,
if he was that old. The present owner said he did a lot of checking to
find out who did the construction, and why they used the chicken wire.
He found nothing. Since this is a rural farm home, asking nearby
neighbors revealed little help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[This followup was posted to alt.home.repair and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

wrote:
[...]

Openings are too big.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

the hose i grew up in had plaster over metal lathe, perhaps the builder was trying to do that and gave up.

this is why code requires metal plates applied over anywhere wires go thru studs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 14:23:18 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

This is definitely an unusual case, so I thought I'd share it!

the hose i grew up in had plaster over metal lathe, perhaps the builder was
trying to do that and gave up.

You grew up in a HOSE?

Yes, I do think this is the most logical reason. The guy probably wanted
to plaster it.

this is why code requires metal plates applied over anywhere wires go thru studs

You're right. I always use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That was my first thought but if that's the case why the first layer
of sheet rock? Just tack up the chicken wire and then one layer of
sheet rock on top of it.

Maybe he was going to purposely connect it to the electric and create
a whole house chicken wire embedded heating system!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You can just say big or small.
It depends what frequency(wave length)it tries to deal with. You saw old
reflectors are like mesh with holes for satellite LNG receivers.
You know what the simple formula is to determine the size of holes?
I worked on this things in the way past. Leap frog tropo. scatter system
and DEW lines in the North.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Due to some of my concerns about RFI, the engineers of a medical research
building specified aluminum backed drywall. It was attached to steel studs.
How did it work ? Fair. Better in the inner rooms in the building. 13
stories. The outer rooms with doors and windows into the hallway were not
that great at shielding. Any small openings or poor connections can leak.
Any wiring, ac, Internet, etc, can feed RFI into the space. They built
another building with the same specs nearby. Luckily, most if the intense
interference disappeared. Was the old analog tv transmitter at WQED
Pittsburgh. Home of Mr. Rodgers. After the conversion to digital, there was
no video to demodulate. It just appeared as random noise.

Another of my investigations resulted in fitting the bottom half if a lab
with steel plates, all welded together. That was from a MRI unit below. The
steel helped divert the magnetic field.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The openings are small enough to filter up to couple gigHz. Depends on
chicken wire size, but steel is also pretty poor conductor at that freq.
Got to be less than quarter wavelength hole opening.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I was servicing copiers and had one customer with a wierd problem, occasionally it would print with no one pushing the button.

eventually I traced i to the 2 way radio shop next door,

there was one rarely serviced transmitter model they would repair. when they powered it up the copier ran,

solution? when not using copier turn it off......

Posted to alt.home.repair

[This followup was posted to alt.home.repair and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

gregz posted for all of us...

wrote:
[...]

How many aluminum foil hats?