Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This looked dangerous (Gas leak)

I was watching that old tv show "Emergency" (being re-run on Me-Tv).
They rescued someone trying to commit suicide by turning on the gas. As
soon as the paramedics arrived, they carried the person outdoors, then
brought in a large fan and plugged it into an outlet to remove the gas.

WHOA. That did not seem right. Plugging in that fan could have caused a
spark at the outlet or inside the fan's motor, and BOOM!

I know this is TV and not always realistic, but that show "Emergency"
generally seems pretty realistic.

I was always told that if there is a gas leak, get out of the building
and leave the door open. Call 911, and they will shut off the gas and
open all doors and windows.

Personally, I'd likely shut the gas off at the meter (or tank if it's
propane), as soon as I got outdoors, but many people dont know about
that sort of thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/15 5:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Personally, I'd likely shut the gas off at the meter (or tank if it's
propane), as soon as I got outdoors, but many people dont know about
that sort of thing.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it was a gas stove so they turned it
off, there would be no need to shut it off at the meter. The rest, yes
I would wonder about that too.

FD guys are all supposed to be trained in
gas shut off.

Agree, that sounds dangerous. In the case of
natural gas, a fan down low isn't too bad,
the NG rises in free air. Blow some outdoor
air in, displace the NG.

In the case of propane, more risk. The propane is
heavier than air.

Was this the one when the woman took all the pills,
and was on the floor in the living room?

If is is the one I think it was, I later learned that this is pure
borderline personality disorder. She was successful in the last Act. I
actually used the synopsis of that show teaching the students that you
need to take these seriously because sometimes they screw it up and get
it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 23:19:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/1/2015 9:40 PM, Bob F wrote:
wrote:

WHOA. That did not seem right. Plugging in that fan could have caused
a spark at the outlet or inside the fan's motor, and BOOM!

Ever hear of an "explosion proof fan"?

How does that help if it sparks at the receptical when you plug it in?

Plug it in to an outlet on the fire truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:19:47 -0600, wrote:

I was watching that old tv show "Emergency" (being re-run on Me-Tv).
They rescued someone trying to commit suicide by turning on the gas. As
soon as the paramedics arrived, they carried the person outdoors, then
brought in a large fan and plugged it into an outlet to remove the gas.

WHOA. That did not seem right. Plugging in that fan could have caused a
spark at the outlet or inside the fan's motor, and BOOM!

I know this is TV and not always realistic, but that show "Emergency"
generally seems pretty realistic.

Dr. Walter Graf died a month ago. He was in his 90's. He doesn't get
any credit on the web, except in 3 obituaries, but his obituary in
the Washington Post said that he was a doctor in LA in the 60's when
the only thing an ambulance would do is take you to the hospital. Same
with the rest of the country. He got some vans outfitted with some
equipment, and got the law changed so that nurses I think it was, on
ambulances, could do more medical procedures than before.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...029-story.html
s recently as the 1960s, a patient being rushed to the hospital with
crushing chest pain would be treated en route only with sirens and
sympathy.

Alarmed by high death rates and encouraged by new technology, a small
group of pioneering physicians started equipping ambulances with
defibrillators and paramedics who knew how to use them. Although today
the idea seems straightforward, it was a radical departure from
established protocols and was credited with saving countless lives.

"What it all means is that if you have any regard for your health and
are over 40, you ought to move to Los Angeles," Dr. Walter S. Graf
told The Times in 1978. "Your chances for avoiding sudden death are
enhanced."

Graf, a cardiologist who helped establish the modern system of
paramedic emergency care, died Oct. 18 at his Los Angeles home, family
members said. He was 98.

The idea was to speed to heart attack calls with a Daniel Freeman
nurse and a portable defibrillator. Later, training was expanded to
include firefighters and emergency medical technicians — groups that,
according to Graf's studies, performed just as well as nurses at
saving cardiac patients.

"It's easy to take for granted the incredibly elaborate, sophisticated
EMS system that we have today, but just 50 years ago, it did not
exist," Dr. Clayton Kazan, the medical director for the Los Angeles
County Fire Department, said in a statement. "While ambulance
transportation existed, virtually no medical care was provided until
the patient arrived at the hospital."

Graf's "Heart Car" — named for its Heart Emergency Assistance Response
Team — helped spark "a movement that has been responsible for saving
innumerable lives worldwide," Kazan said.
In interviews, Graf said he was inspired by the work of Irish
physician Frank Pantridge, who chronicled his success with emergency
care in a British medical journal.

"Amazingly, the reaction of the British medical establishment
consisted for the most part of disbelief, ridicule and even
hostility," the Guardian, a British newspaper, noted in its 2005
obituary of Pantridge.

"It was to be 16 years before the concept of taking the care to the
patient was fully accepted," the Guardian wrote. "The reaction in
America was totally different, and the creation of mobile units was
both swift and comprehensive."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ea1_story.html
I think this article was the same. No time to read it again.

IOW, because of that group of people, LA led the country in emergency
medicine practiced by those in ambulances, and later from the fire
department.

I watched the show a lot too years ago, and sometimes now, on MeTV,
and I didn't realize until 30 days ago that it represented a real
milestone in medicine.

What's strange is that this man gets no notice in Wikip, If you look
in the History of Ambulances in wikip, it talks about other people.

I was always told that if there is a gas leak, get out of the building
and leave the door open. Call 911, and they will shut off the gas and
open all doors and windows.

Personally, I'd likely shut the gas off at the meter (or tank if it's
propane), as soon as I got outdoors, but many people dont know about
that sort of thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 02:36:51 -0500, Micky
wrote:

IOW, because of that group of people, LA led the country in emergency
medicine practiced by those in ambulances, and later from the fire
department.

I watched the show a lot too years ago, and sometimes now, on MeTV,
and I didn't realize until 30 days ago that it represented a real
milestone in medicine.

I knew that the timing for the show "Emergency" was close to the
beginning of the REAL Paramedics and other EMS services, and what you
posted confirms this. I also thought that the show was produced to show
the public about these new practices and gain some acceptance among the
public. Once again, I think I'm right in this thinking. Of course it was
also a good series and I still enjoy watching it. Besides being
educational it was also adventurous and sometimes quite humorous too.
I wish they still produced tv series like this. Most of the stuff on tv
these days is not worth the time it takes me to push the ON button on my
tv remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 23:19:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ever hear of an "explosion proof fan"?

Actually, NO. I never knew they existed.

How does that help if it sparks at the receptical when you plug it in?

This was my thoughts too.....
And on the TV show, they did plug it into an outlet inside the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 1:37:04 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
[...]

My heart stopped in an ambulance and a paramedic beat the frak out of my chest to get my heart going again. It's not safe for anyone to badmouth paramedics and firemen around me. I can't beat you up but I can run over your foot and bite you. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Living Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

IOW, because of that group of people, LA led the country in emergency
medicine practiced by those in ambulances, and later from the fire
department.

I watched the show a lot too years ago, and sometimes now, on MeTV,
and I didn't realize until 30 days ago that it represented a real
milestone in medicine.

I knew that the timing for the show "Emergency" was close to the
beginning of the REAL Paramedics and other EMS services, and what you
posted confirms this. I also thought that the show was produced to show
the public about these new practices and gain some acceptance among the
public. Once again, I think I'm right in this thinking. Of course it was

I think so too. Also the other way around, I'm sure. Some people
already knew about it, thought it was good, and enjoyed seeing a
dramatization of it.

Actually, I think this is the basis of their idea that it's better to
wait for paramedics than to be driven to the hospital, in an
emergency. Because fire stations are spread out, fairly near everyone,
and hospitals might be farther away (plus in their officious way, they
don't want civilians speeding through the streets.) But since I'm
only a mile from the hospital (with only one traffic light) and 1.5
miles from the fire station, that might not apply to me or my
neighbors. .

also a good series and I still enjoy watching it. Besides being
educational it was also adventurous and sometimes quite humorous too.
I wish they still produced tv series like this. Most of the stuff on tv
these days is not worth the time it takes me to push the ON button on my
tv remote.

That's so true. Thank goodness for MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, Grit,
and a couple others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 5:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
FD guys are all supposed to be trained in
gas shut off.

Agree, that sounds dangerous. In the case of
natural gas, a fan down low isn't too bad,
the NG rises in free air. Blow some outdoor
air in, displace the NG.

In the case of propane, more risk. The propane is
heavier than air.

Was this the one when the woman took all the pills,
and was on the floor in the living room?

Fire fighters have use of gas detectors.

I remember the one episode of E! when the guy had
a mini explosion as he was sawing a pipe below
grade. Johnny got the detector out of the squad.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2015 6:28 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 12/1/15 5:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Personally, I'd likely shut the gas off at the meter (or tank if it's
propane), as soon as I got outdoors, but many people dont know about
that sort of thing.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it was a gas stove so they turned it
off, there would be no need to shut it off at the meter. The rest, yes I
would wonder about that too.

CY: Oh, gas at the stove. Well, hope that worked
out OK for the guys.

Was this the one when the woman took all the pills,
and was on the floor in the living room?

If is is the one I think it was, I later learned that this is pure
borderline personality disorder. She was successful in the last Act. I
actually used the synopsis of that show teaching the students that you
need to take these seriously because sometimes they screw it up and get
it right.

CY: I remember one episode with a woman on pills.
The boyfriend kept saying to pump her out and send
her home. Dr. Brackett noted they were some thing
much different, this time. And she did finally kill
her self.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Agree, that sounds dangerous. In the case of
natural gas, a fan down low isn't too bad,
the NG rises in free air. Blow some outdoor
air in, displace the NG.

In the case of propane, more risk. The propane is
heavier than air.

From what FD training I've had, if a gas leak is
burning, let it burn. Wet down the area, so the
fire doesn't spread. Find a shut off, and valve
off the gas. Or in the case of propane or LPG, let
it burn out.

Don't want to have a big cloud of unburned fuel
that might go boom.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2015 4:33 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My heart stopped in an ambulance and a paramedic

beat the frak out of my chest to get my heart going
again. It's not safe for anyone to badmouth paramedics
and firemen around me. I can't beat you up but I can
run over your foot and bite you. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Living Monster

I've also got a lot of respect for rolling medical and
ambulance folks. Most of the ones I've met have been
very nice people.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Micky" wrote in message
And I think there are also mechanical switches where the space inside
the switch is filled with non-conductiive oil/liquid of some sort.
There is still a spark, but it's under the liquid. The surrounding
air doesn't get in.

**I see that mercury switches are sometimes used in ombs.

The home mercury switches was a selling point. They did not make any noise
when switched.

I doubt there are any mercury switches to be sold any more. The mercury has
been declared a big hazzard a number of years ago and if you look at it you
will die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:44:55 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message
.. .
And I think there are also mechanical switches where the space inside
the switch is filled with non-conductiive oil/liquid of some sort.
There is still a spark, but it's under the liquid. The surrounding
air doesn't get in.

**I see that mercury switches are sometimes used in ombs.

The home mercury switches was a selling point. They did not make any noise
when switched.

I doubt there are any mercury switches to be sold any more. The mercury has
been declared a big hazzard a number of years ago and if you look at it you
will die.

How do they make the quiet toggle switches now, since they don't use
mercury?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I was watching that old tv show "Emergency" (being re-run on Me-Tv).
They rescued someone trying to commit suicide by turning on the gas.

I worked at a gas utility for 40 years and learned some facts about gas.
Filling a room with gas will NOT kill you, this would only work with
manufactured gas (they don't make this stuff anymore), that contained a lot
of carbon monoxide, natural gas is not poisonous, but it can make you sick
enough to wish it had killed you. You can commit suicide by leaking the gas
then igniting it and then it will only explode within a narrow range of
concentrations, or you can do the job by displacing all the oxygen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2015 4:33 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My heart stopped in an ambulance and a paramedic beat the frak out of my chest to get my heart going again. It's not safe for anyone to badmouth paramedics and firemen around me. I can't beat you up but I can run over your foot and bite you. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Living Monster

You can probably find a lawyer that will sue them for hurting your chest
by beating on it. ts the American thing to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 19:09:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My heart stopped in an ambulance and a paramedic beat the frak out of my chest to get my heart going again. It's not safe for anyone to badmouth paramedics and firemen around me. I can't beat you up but I can run over your foot and bite you. ?(?_?)?

[8~{} Uncle Living Monster

You can probably find a lawyer that will sue them for hurting your chest
by beating on it. ts the American thing to do.

In Californication a woman sued a Good Samaritan for exposing her
breast (open blouse) when saving her life. Some folks have no
gratitude.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2015 9:48 AM, Bob F wrote:

Plug it in
Turn it on.

Still potential for spark

From what? There is no electric flow path when it is plugged in. The
switch is explosion proof.

As3 is the plug
From
http://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-1...ntilation.aspx
Pre-wired with a 15 amp, explosion proof plug.

Minimizes, but does not eliminate the potential from a household
receptacle. should be powered from outside. Probably would be in real
life, but TV takes liberties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 19:30:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Minimizes, but does not eliminate the potential from a household
receptacle. should be powered from outside. Probably would be in real
life, but TV takes liberties.

If the screws are loose on an outlet and the wires are not connected
well, a wire could contact the metal box. Sure, it's a one in a million
gamble, if that outlet has been used for years, but nothing is perfect
in the real world, and things can happen at the worst possible
moment....

Yes, it should be powered from a outdoor generator, or the house next
door, or any other external source.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 9:30:52 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/2/2015 4:33 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My heart stopped in an ambulance and a paramedic

beat the frak out of my chest to get my heart going
again. It's not safe for anyone to badmouth paramedics
and firemen around me. I can't beat you up but I can
run over your foot and bite you. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Living Monster

I've also got a lot of respect for rolling medical and
ambulance folks. Most of the ones I've met have been
very nice people.
--
.

They saved my life, more than once. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Life Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/02/2015 09:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I doubt there are any mercury switches to be sold any more. The mercury has
been declared a big hazzard a number of years ago and if you look at it you
will die.

My mother told me about when she was a child she got to hold mercury in
her hand. It felt different from any other substance, almost like it was
alive. An interesting experience a lot of people will never get to have.

--
22 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The man who wants to be an angel is never in a hurry to begin." [Lemuel
K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays_]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

My mother told me about when she was a child she got to hold mercury in
her hand. It felt different from any other substance, almost like it was
alive. An interesting experience a lot of people will never get to have.

I used to play with it when young. My dad worked on appliances and some had
mercury switches in them. I remember putting them on dimes (when they were
mostly silver) and making them shiney.

Where I worked we had some control switches that had a mercury switch in
them. Had to remove them from some old equipment and send the switch part
off as hazzard waste. Also had a bottle about the size of a quart milk
carton full of mercury that was use for several things and had to gert rid
of it and find another device to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 16:42:47 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

My mother told me about when she was a child she got to hold mercury in
her hand. It felt different from any other substance, almost like it was
alive. An interesting experience a lot of people will never get to have.

We played with mercury as if was a toy. Drop it on the floor and
watch it break into tiny balls and roll across the floor. I almost
turned out normal - twitch. Kids entertained themselves back in the
day. We even had dynamite
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My mother told me about when she was a child she got to hold mercury in
her hand. It felt different from any other substance, almost like it was
alive. An interesting experience a lot of people will never get to have.

We played with mercury as if was a toy. Drop it on the floor and
watch it break into tiny balls and roll across the floor. I almost
turned out normal - twitch. Kids entertained themselves back in the
day. We even had dynamite

twitch? LOL That was a perfect touch!

--
Maggie