Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cant find Small Size Metric Nut Drivers

My Chevy truck has lots of 7mm screws on the interior dash and door
panels. My distributor cap has 5mm screws. Fortunately I have a set of
metric tips that are intended to fit into a 1/4" driver handle. But they
dont stay in that handle, and when working under a dashboard or on the
distributor cap, you cant risk the tip falling out of the handle.
Therefore I have to always duct tape the tool together before use.

I finally decided to buy 5mm and 7mm nut drivers. Guess what, I cant
find them anywhere in the stores, at least not locally. Not even at the
auto parts stores. The Nut Driver SETS start at 8mm and go up from
there....

This is a rural area, so I dont have access to a lot of stores, but
you'd think these would be easier to find, at least at the auto parts
stores. I have even looked at the low end, foreign made "junk" tools at
some stores and none seem to sell these sizes.

With plenty of these screw sizes in use, why is it so hard to find the
tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I live WAAAAAY out in the sticks in North central Arkansas , and I have only
one thing to say - "eBay is your friend" .
Seriously , I check prices at like Lowes or another B&M store that sells
what I'm looking for before I go to eBay , and I end up more often than not
getting it online . My decision is based on price and availability - if it
is available locally for not more than 10% higher (sales tax included)than
online , I buy local .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:47:17 -0600, wrote:

With plenty of these screw sizes in use, why is it so hard to find the
tools?

So the makers can make you miserable. Like rap music and police
headlights - what's next...?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 15:26:33 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

[...]

I generally prefer to shop at real stores, and only use Ebay for hard to
find parts for old machinery or computer parts, but in this case I may
have to look on Ebay. I dont need these tools immediately anyhow.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 16:16:05 -0500, Mr.E wrote:

This is a rural area, so I dont have access to a lot of stores, but
you'd think these would be easier to find, at least at the auto parts
stores. I have even looked at the low end, foreign made "junk" tools at
some stores and none seem to sell these sizes.

With plenty of these screw sizes in use, why is it so hard to find the
tools?

If you have a Homedepot try

Model # 106300070

This is a Husky set.
--
Mr.E

We dont have a Home Depot nearby, but I heard they do ship stuff. I'll
have to check their website for this. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

We dont have a Home Depot nearby, but I heard they do ship stuff. I'll
have to check their website for this. Thanks!

HD will ship for free for orders over $ 45 or so. I ordered 3 of the LED
light fixtures from them a few months ago. They shipped out about $ 120
worth for free. Took less than a week to get them.

I order a lot of small items from China off ebay to play with. Usually
takes about 3 weeks or less to get most items. It is hard to believe anyone
makes any money when they ship an item for free that cost $ 3.
To send a 1st class leter from the US to another country costs around $
1.20.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 5:30:35 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message

We dont have a Home Depot nearby, but I heard they do ship stuff. I'll
have to check their website for this. Thanks!

HD will ship for free for orders over $ 45 or so. I ordered 3 of the LED
light fixtures from them a few months ago. They shipped out about $ 120
worth for free. Took less than a week to get them.

I order a lot of small items from China off ebay to play with. Usually
takes about 3 weeks or less to get most items. It is hard to believe anyone
makes any money when they ship an item for free that cost $ 3.
To send a 1st class leter from the US to another country costs around $
1.20.

I've been talking about those $2-$3 items for years. If you think about how many people
have touched some portion of that item, it's almost impossible to believe that everyone
made money. It's not just the people that designed and manufactured the item itself,
but also the companies that provided and delivered the raw materials to make the
item, the people who designed the packaging, manufactured the packaging, provided
and delivered the raw materials for the packaging, the paper company that provided and
delivered the paper for the instructions, the printing of the instructions, the company
that made the printers and the ink, the people that wrote (or translated) the instructions, the
oil companies that took the oil out the ground to make any plastics involved, the seller, the
shipping companies, etc. etc.

I know it's all based on volume and we're talking fractions of fractions of pennies per item to
everyone involved, but it's so hard to fathom how the numbers actually result in everyone
making a profit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Brick and mortar stores know that they have to compete with on-line
sources and now may do the work for you if an item is not in stock.

Wife's cell phone needed a battery today. Staples did not have it but
the clerk ordered one on-line having it shipped to my house postage
free. I paid for it at the store along with a computer cartridge in
stock. Battery comes next week.

Some brick and mortar stores will match on-line prices if you show them.
I wanted a new TV on sale at Best Buy but told the clerk that I could
buy on-line for $50 less. He looked it up and said they only match big
suppliers price like Amazons and this set was coming from a vendor. He
did offer $25 off his price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 2:50:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
My Chevy truck has lots of 7mm screws on the interior dash and door
panels. My distributor cap has 5mm screws. Fortunately I have a set of
metric tips that are intended to fit into a 1/4" driver handle. But they
dont stay in that handle...

DT a 1/4" magnetic tip holder onto your 1/4" driver handle.