Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DISHWASHER WASH ARMS CLOGGED !!

I have a nine year old GE dishwasher. Recently, after it is through washing, I
notice dried soap on the inside of the door, and the dishes are not as clean as
they used to be. I opened up the door while it was running, which shuts off the
machine, and I saw the problem. When I used to do this, a lot of water would be
dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2015 2:48 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I have a nine year old GE dishwasher. Recently, after it is through washing, I
notice dried soap on the inside of the door, and the dishes are not as clean as
they used to be. I opened up the door while it was running, which shuts off the
machine, and I saw the problem. When I used to do this, a lot of water would be
dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

CLR and scrub each nozzle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a log skinny bottle or maybe newspaper wrapper, fill it with vinegar and put one arm in the bottle at a time, leave for 24 hours and then use a wire poked thru the holes to clear the inside of the arm. This is simple thorough cleaning of the rotating arms, one at a time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2015 1:48 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I have a nine year old GE dishwasher. Recently, after it is through washing, I
notice dried soap on the inside of the door, and the dishes are not as clean as
they used to be. I opened up the door while it was running, which shuts off the
machine, and I saw the problem. When I used to do this, a lot of water would be
dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

After you get it clean you might try adding a bit of phosphate with
the dish washing soap. You can buy it at Lowe's or
http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10621...ews/B0001GOGQW
read the reviews on Amazon to learn how and why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/15 2:48 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I have a nine year old GE dishwasher. Recently, after it is through washing, I
notice dried soap on the inside of the door, and the dishes are not as clean as
they used to be. I opened up the door while it was running, which shuts off the
machine, and I saw the problem. When I used to do this, a lot of water would be
dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Wonder how expensive a couple of replacement arms would be at your local
discount appliance parts store or online?

--
Want to close wage gap? Step one: Change your major from gender studies
or feminist dance therapy to electrical engineering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 8:25 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

Or an appropriately sized twist drill judiciously applied to the plugged
spray ports...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:25:34 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/29/15 2:48 PM, Ron in NY wrote:
I have a nine year old GE dishwasher. Recently, after it is through washing, I
notice dried soap on the inside of the door, and the dishes are not as clean as
they used to be. I opened up the door while it was running, which shuts off the
machine, and I saw the problem. When I used to do this, a lot of water would be
dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???

My first thought was to take off the arms and soak them in vinegar.
Could also spray on some CLR, or similar, but I'd check the label
for possible effect on any metal present. There are also products
specifically made to put in the dishwasher to clean it. They are
citric acid based. IDK how effective it would be on built-up scale,
but being an acid, it probably would have some effectiveness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2015 9:25 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Wonder how expensive a couple of replacement arms would be at your local
discount appliance parts store or online?

About $20 to $50 each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in NY wrote:
I have a nine year old GE dishwasher....
... the flow of pressurized water has diminished greatly.

You didn't specifically mention the recirculating water filter.
That needs periodic attention. When it's clogged up the water
flow is decreased.

--
To use violence is to already be defeated.
-- Chinese proverb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2015 9:29 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

dripping everywhere, but now, after many years of use, rotating wash
arms are
evidently clogged up with our well water minerals, and the flow of
pressurized
water has diminished greatly. Is there anything I could put into the
machine
while it is in the rinse cycle to dissolve these clogs ???

I've had that happen to both the arms in my dishwasher.

I take them out, poke at the holes, rinse under the sink,
all the gunk comes out. No big deal.

I wonder if one drinks water like that long term, will it be OK
for his health? What about coffee pot, kettle, pots and pans and
glasses? Do they stay spic and span clean?

I wonder if it is healthier than bottles water with limited minerals.
You do get buildup in the coffee pot but our bodies do need some
minerals to work properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

plastic bottles think bottled water can cause cancer. this is currently being studied
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:50:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if it is healthier than bottles water with limited minerals.
You do get buildup in the coffee pot but our bodies do need some
minerals to work properly.

Plants also need minerals. They do poorly on soft water :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

Still waiting for RON (OP) to tell us what he did and how it worked out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 16:20:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Still waiting for RON (OP) to tell us what he did and how it worked out.

He is probably afraid to admit his wife bought a new machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:50:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if it is healthier than bottles water with limited minerals.
You do get buildup in the coffee pot but our bodies do need some
minerals to work properly.

Plants also need minerals. They do poorly on soft water :-\

We use rain water for plants. Drinking water is RO filtered.
Laundry is done with softened water. Depending what kind of mineral.
We never buy/use bottled water.