Posted to alt.home.repair

Default convection oven

My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection
oven in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it
is just some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking
recipes will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to
that ?
Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to
have a LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes
web site is very good for about 300 ratings.

I think the biggest advantage is uniformity of temps throughout the oven . A
definite advantage for commercial baking , like those conveyor fed ovens
most pizza operations use . (I only have experience with Pizza Slut , worked
management there for a while.)

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

Ralph-

My old microwave has convection oven capability. I've tried it and it
worked OK. As I recall, an advantage is that it pre-heats to cooking
temperature more quickly, and cools down faster than a regular oven.

I was not aware that cooking time would have to be changed. I doubt
anything else in a recipe would be affected.

Consumer Union's "Consumer Reports" is a good source of information. I
do not trust reviews at a dealer's web site. I once left such a review
that was generally positive but with one minor negative comment. A few
days later the negative comment had been deleted.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:41:36 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

FWIW: (Top Ten Reviews)

http://electric-range-review.toptenreviews.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

On 11/15/2015 10:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

We recently purchased the LG range about three months ago and the wife
absolutely loves it. The oven temp stays more even throughout the oven
space and the cooking temp is 25 degrees lower than with a conventional
oven. And, no, the recipes do not have to be modified. Wish we had made
this change years ago. One other feature that I like is that there are
no knobs on the back panel. All controls are activated with push buttons
instead.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-15, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

When I went ot cooking school, we had two commercial convection ovens.
A convection oven has an internal fan to evenly circulate the heat, be
it gas or electric. IOW, no hot spots or turning baked goods to bake
evenly. The fan does it for you.

Our ovens ran about 50 def F hotter when the fan was turned on. Our
instructor sed most bakeries use convection ovens, but we used 'em to
do roasts, also.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 8:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

Convection circulates the air so the contents are more uniformly
exposed to it. Its particularly good for browning (a steak cooked
in a microwave oven tastes like crap; in a convection oven, it
tastes like "real meat").

We have a small toaster/convection oven that we use almost exclusively
instead of the large oven -- for things like steak, baked potatoes,
etc. (things that can benefit from a shorter and more even cook time).

By contrast, when I bake, I have to play the classic games of rotating
the item halfway through the bake cycle, swapping the "bottom" sheet
of cookies for the "top" sheet, etc. We had ordered a large convection
oven but never got around to taking delivery -- cuz we simply use it
so little.

IMO, make the purchase. You can always turn the fan off and have a
conventional oven -- until you learn how the fan alters the results
and the cooking times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 10:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

They work. A fan circulates the air to keep temperature even. You can
also get better results on roasting if used properly. The trick is
shallow roasting pans so the circulating air can reach the meat all around.

I make chicken or beef roast by setting it on a screen above the
roasting pan that catches the drippings. The chicken has crispy skin
all around and the meat is very juicy, not at all dried out. The pan
has plenty of drippings to make gravy.

As for changing recipes, things will cook faster and can be done at
lower temperatures. That said, we do meat roasts at 400 to 425 for
great results.

As for brands, I don't know. We have a Bertazzoni and it is above the
price you are looking at, but I'd buy it again.
http://us.bertazzoni.com/

Whatever your final choice, a good range can last 25+ years so get one
you want to live with, even if a few dollars more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 10:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

The US trade deficit is at an all time high.
Together, we can financially destroy the US, buy one made in China.

http://fortune.com/2015/05/05/trade-deficit-china/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection
oven in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it
is just some advertising hype ?

Both are just blowing hot air

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:12:53 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection
oven in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it
is just some advertising hype ?

Both are just blowing hot air

But convection blows dry air, no?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 11/15/2015 7:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

My sister-in-law has an LG and there is one big problem with it. If you
put something heavy on the rack then the rack bends falls out of the
slots and everything falls to the bottom.

"I have (I believe) the exact same wall oven; this is my second one and
I am about to get the third. The first one was defective--it happens
sometimes and while it took a while, I was able to get a replacement
from LG. The one I have has been in my kitchen since October of '09.
However, about a month ago, my racks started falling off the guides.
Everyone thought I was hallucinating but fall they did. They are now
about 1/4" too narrow for the cavity of the oven. I called LG, they told
me which repair service to call and they came Thursday. It is not my
imagination, the racks no longer fit--the culprit? The self clean cycle.
Who knew? I mean it is an integral part of the oven, right? Well, that
is what caused it--LG is not the only manufacturer to have this problem,
if you google the problem, you will see others who have had the same
thing. So now am waiting to see if LG will make it right and replace the
oven at no charge. I am already into it for a service call fee which I
paid. But even though it is out of warranty, it does seem as though this
is something that is their fault, not mine. Wish me luck and think twice
before turning on that self clean feature cause if it happened to me, it
could happen to you. I would guess that I have used it 3-4 times a year
each year and it was only after the last time I used it that the problem
occurred."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-15 11:03 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

My oven manual recommends removing the racks before the self clean cycle
It is not LG or a convection oven, but there must be a reason for that.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

My oven manual recommends removing the racks before the self clean cycle
It is not LG or a convection oven, but there must be a reason for that.

One of the ovens I have had and read the manual on says it is ok to leave
the racks in but it will discolor them. So they really recommend removing
them during the clean cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
My wife has been talking about getting a new range with a convection oven
in it. Is there any real advantage to a convectiion oven, or it is just
some advertising hype ?

Our daughter (which does not have one) mentioned that the cooking recipes
will have to be changed when switching ovens. Anything to that ?

Any recommendations on what brand to get ? The local stores seem to have a
LG on sale for around $ 700 to $ 800 and the ratings at Lowes web site is
very good for about 300 ratings.

The whole idea of it is to speed cook. Air speed breaks own the insulating
layer around food items. It may also dry out some things too much.

Unfortunately, I hear some ovens do some kind of conversion to play games
with my head, changing heat. That is NOT the point of air flow.

Turbo oven is the name when they first came out. Turbo oven is the correct
term. Call it fan induced convection if you want. All ovens create
convection regardless of fan.

A fan adds little to the cost, maybe $75 max.

A large oven is different from a little mini turbo countertop unit. A
little oven usually also adds radiant heat, further speeding cooking. BUT,
my over the stove combo oven does no have radiant heat. The heating element
is hidden above the microwave cavity.

It takes little engineering to add fan. The brand should not matter.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 10:12:33 PM UTC-6, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2015-11-15 11:03 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the heat from the self cleaning cycle is enough to heat treat the metal racks? During the manufacturing process, the metal was stretched when formed and the heat relieved the stress causing the wire shrink. Is there a metallurgist out there reading the group? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Metal Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 3:40:10 AM UTC-5, Gz wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
[...]

How much cost it adds and how much the selling price changes
can be two different things. Typically convection ovens also
come with other features, not just the added fan.

Agree with the others who have said the main difference is that
it results in more even heat in the oven. The recipe adjustment
thing is that you can use a slightly lower temp or alternatively
food will cook a little faster at the same temp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 11:12 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

My oven manual recommends removing the racks before the self clean cycle
It is not LG or a convection oven, but there must be a reason for that.

It affects the finish on the racks and they don't slide as easily once
heated to the cleaning temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:36:13 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/15/2015 11:12 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

My oven manual recommends removing the racks before the self clean cycle
It is not LG or a convection oven, but there must be a reason for that.

It affects the finish on the racks and they don't slide as easily once
heated to the cleaning temperature.

+1

The heat will discolor them and leave them with a bluish tint.