Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Chimney height for a hot water heater

I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage. The
pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going straight up
through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above the ridge line? If
not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage. The
pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going straight up
through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above the ridge line? If
not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here
http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp

National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule:
"A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment
shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it
passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher
than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3
m)."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 5:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage. The
pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going straight up
through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above the ridge line? If
not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here
http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp

National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule: "A
chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment shall extend
at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it passes through a roof
of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher than any portion of a building
within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3 m)."

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as
you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water
heater back into the living space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:32:41 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as
you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water
heater back into the living space.

Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 7:58 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:32:41 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as
you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water
heater back into the living space.

Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same time?

Code doesn't care what you happen to have "turned on" at any given time.
Point is you are not supposed to have a means of sucking CO back *into*
a living space; exhaust from water heater is considered exhaust.

Remedy is a couple of extra feet of height -- nothing that's going to
break the bank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 8:58 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:32:41 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as
you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water
heater back into the living space.

Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same time?

I bought 2 of these DeLonghi oil radiant heaters recently:
http://snipurl.com/2ab9j5y

or

http://www.lowes.com/pd_100813-33454...toreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStore Bean%4055855585]&storeNumber=2756&kpid=3262151&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalLiving-_-PortableHeat-_-3262151%3ADe%27Longhi&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=t rue&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1368069538

Are those the kind of heaters you're talking about when you mentioned
radiant heat?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 10:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

No, he is talking gas fired. I'd need 8 of those heaters for my garage
in the winter to do what my propane heater does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the OP has a system of in-floor pipes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 22:47:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I bought 2 of these DeLonghi oil radiant heaters
recently:
http://snipurl.com/2ab9j5y

Are those the kind of heaters you're talking about
when you mentioned radiant heat?

No, he is talking gas fired. I'd need 8 of those
heaters for my garage in the winter to do what my
propane heater does.

Ah... We have some propane heaters we use in our greenhouse.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater
for the radiant heat in my garage.

Eventually, someone will ask. Why do you
apply heat to hot water?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/14/2015 10:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same
time?

I bought 2 of these DeLonghi oil radiant heaters recently:
http://snipurl.com/2ab9j5y

Are those the kind of heaters you're talking about when you mentioned
radiant heat?

No, he is talking gas fired. I'd need 8 of those heaters for my garage
in the winter to do what my propane heater does.

I had the sense, the OP was installing
probably a low mass boiler, for water
type radiators.

The electric plug in heaters tend to be
1500 watts, and put put 5,200 BTU per
hour. Even the new ultra high efficiency
ones are still same watts and BTU.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

replying to Ed Pawlowski , Roy wrote:
esp wrote:

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here
http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp
National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule:
"A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment
shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it
passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher
than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3
m)."

Thank you for answering so quickly, much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney height for a cold water heater

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 11:46:42 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The pipes in the floor are supposed to be a
very nice way to heat. Gentle heat, and not
drafty like fan forced.

Maybe, in your case it would be gentile?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 11:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater
for the radiant heat in my garage.

Eventually, someone will ask. Why do you
apply heat to hot water?

raises hand O/`

It makes it feel all warm and cozy?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon has brought this to us :
On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater
for the radiant heat in my garage.

Eventually, someone will ask. Why do you
apply heat to hot water?

To change its temperature.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Ed Pawlowski typed:
On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:
I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage.
The pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going
straight up through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above
the ridge line? If not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here
http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp

National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the
rule: "A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization
equipment shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point
where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6
m) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance
of 10 ft. (3 m)."

I think that the link that you provided is for fireplace chimneys and other
types of chimneys (the 2 feet above any portion of the roof or building
within 10 feet).

But, the OP appears to be describing a natural gas vent from a natural gas
hot water heater -- not a fireplace chimney or other type of chimney.

For Type B ("B-vent") chimneys coming from natural gas appliances, the codes
are different regarding height above the roof line. For a Type B chimney
with a Type B vent cap, the height above the roof line can be much less than
the standard for other types of chimneys (such as fireplace chimneys). One
exception is if the Type B chimney vent is within 8 feet of any vertical
wall -- which doesn't appear to be the case in the OP's situation.

I think this will be good news for the OP.

Here are some links that I found about Type B chimney vents from natural gas
appliances:

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...8_8_par035.htm

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product...012-sept_w.pdf

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Downloads/Instructions%20-%20RV%20Gas%20Vent%20-%20USA.pdf