Posted to alt.home.repair

Default code question on height above roof deck for water heater vent

Situation- only thing left in original chimney stack is the vent for the
gas water heater. (Furnace goes out side wall just above ground level
now.) Chimney stack and flashing above roofline is failing, and may be
slightly leaking, judging by stains on bathroom ceiling right below it.
I have been quoted $800 to demo and rebuild chimney stack from roofline
up, using proper flashing instead of sheet goods and tar and gravel like
roofing company used. My father, the 83 YO house designer, suggested
that I should simply demo top part of chimney, patch roof deck and
shingles, and use a prefab metal exhaust pipe instead. How tall would it
have to be? Wind and snow load is a consideration. 5-12 roof, and
current chimney is higher than ridge line of roof. I'm concerned that a
real tall metal stack would look funny and unacceptable to any future
buyers and house inspectors.

Thoughts and ideas?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

"The gas vent must be at least two feet higher than any part of the roof
within a 10 radius."

On a 5-12 pitch if the pipe exits at the mid point of the average roof on
the back side of the house I seriously doubt that it will need to be above
the ridge. The steeper the pitch the taller the pipe. 2 foot is enough on
most 5-12s. Mine is slightly taller as my pitch is greater.

All those rules being stated the closer to the ridge the more likely you can
cheat a bit if you need to and are not getting it inspected. I have seen a
lot of them draw just fine when only 1 foot above the roofline near the
ridge.

If you go this route the double wall gas vent need to go all the way down
and proper firestops need to be applied to openings created.

If you can DIY you can save a small bundle, 3" DW gas vents are not that
expensive.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

You probably have to maintain the height to be in compliance. I forget the
exact working, but it must be x higher than anything within 10 feet. I'd
consider removing the chimney completely and getting a new high efficiency
water heater with an outside vent rather than a chimney. Total cost may be
similar and no headaches later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

I hadn't even thought of that. Recovering that corner would be nice for
the eventual (probably by next owner) bathroom gut job and remodel.

Too many options- brain freeze coming on.

I just dabbed a coat of Killz over the stains in bathroom ceiling. If
the stains don't come back right after the next rainstorm, maybe I'll
procrastinate the repair another year, or leave it for the next owner.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 12:26*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
m...
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

A can of roofing cement should be less than $20. Why not spend the 1
hour time to do a patch rather than paint and then have to patch
anyway. You can always build a frame around the existing chimney and
cover it with wood/vinyl to math your existing siding and prevent
further weathering, and put a new cap on the top to cover the wood/
vinyl. Check your local code enforcement folks for the 10 foot radius
to the highest point, etc, requirments to be sure it is your local
requirment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The gas vent must be at least two feet higher than any part of the roof
within a 10 [foot] radius."

On a 5-12 pitch if the pipe exits at the mid point of the average roof on
the back side of the house I seriously doubt that it will need to be above
the ridge. *The steeper the pitch the taller the pipe. 2 foot is enough on
most 5-12s. *Mine is slightly taller as my pitch is greater.

The 10 foot radius rule - does that mean 10 feet as measured along the
roof, or 10 feet horizontal distance? On a 5-12 pitch roof, if you go
out from the chimney emergence point 10 feet horizontally, the
roofline is then at (10/12) X 5 feet, or 50 inches, plus 24 means your
chimney must stick up 74 inches above the point where it emerges from
the roof. If the rule means 10 feet measured along the roof, that
would be (10/13) X 5 feet, or 46 inches, so the chimney would only
have to stick up 70 inches overall. Not a big difference, but could
be if the inspector is a stickler. Not sure where you get "2 foot is
enough on most 5-12s." --H