Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trash container problem

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 11:44:33 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 11/15/2015 11:29 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:55:49 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 11/15/2015 10:42 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:20:20 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 11/15/2015 10:12 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 08:58:46 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 11/15/2015 12:39 AM,
wrote:

disappeared into the woods.

You may have seen a black bobcat. This is one FWC caught in Florida

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/fwcblackbobcat.jpg

This looks like what I saw:

http://hdwallpapersfit.com/wp-conten...wallpapers.jpg

Cougar/mountain lion/panther can live just about anywhere in the US
where they are not shot so anything is possible but black is pretty
rare. They tend to be dirty blonde.
The main difference between all of the cats is size tho. A small
panther is not a lot bigger than a large bobcat.

I didn't think I'd be seeing a panther that day, and I was shouting like
I'd seen a UFO "LOOK AT THAT!!! {pointing} It's a black panther!!" My
husband saw it as it had just gotten out of the tree and watched it as
it walked away into the woods. That long black chubby tail and it's
size was kind of unnerving.

Where are you located? If it is not the Northeast corridor, you could
have cougars. There are hundreds in Florida and since they started
"protecting" them we are seeing them in fairly built up areas. Same
with bears. My neighbor saw bear tracks in the scrub park at the end
of my street and we are west of 41. We had a cougar living there too
until it was hit by a cop car at the airport.

That reminds me. My husband said a buddy of his at work kept claiming he
had a black bear in his area, but everyone just dismissed it as a tall
tale. Turns out it was finally documented by park authorities as being
true. I'm smack dab in the middle of the US and people have also said
black panthers don't live here, either, but several months after I saw a
black panther out in the boonies it was documented by other people who
sited the same animal. It was said that they don't know if the animals
are actually residing in this area or if they are just passing through, tho.

A large male cougar will stake out a territory that is 100 square
miles or more (5 up to 10 mile radius) so they do cover a lot of
ground in a day. As the population starts increasing they will quickly
start occupying new territories.

I like cats and all, but don't want them in my back yard. lol

That is the conundrum with "protecting wildlife".
Eventually you find out why we killed them off in the first place.

We have the same issue here with panthers and bears. We "saved" they
right up to the point where they are picking off pets in people's
yards and crashing into their houses.

Naples Fla
http://wbbh.images.worldnow.com/images/23143149_BG1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

geeesh nap time?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:16:51 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 11/15/2015 12:57 PM, wrote:

That is the conundrum with "protecting wildlife".
Eventually you find out why we killed them off in the first place.

We have the same issue here with panthers and bears. We "saved" they
right up to the point where they are picking off pets in people's
yards and crashing into their houses.

Naples Fla
http://wbbh.images.worldnow.com/images/23143149_BG1.jpg

geeesh nap time?

Those folks east of 75 have lots of bear and panther stories. They are
pretty thick around here.
It isn't really even news until they come west of 75. We had a black
bear running around downtown Ft Myers for a few weeks before FWC could
find him. Folks were sending cell phone video to the TV station every
other day of him in a dumpster somewhere. They finally saw him in a
tree at the city golf course and a trapper came and got him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 7:24 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:16:51 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 11/15/2015 12:57 PM,
wrote:

That is the conundrum with "protecting wildlife".
Eventually you find out why we killed them off in the first place.

We have the same issue here with panthers and bears. We "saved" they
right up to the point where they are picking off pets in people's
yards and crashing into their houses.

Naples Fla
http://wbbh.images.worldnow.com/images/23143149_BG1.jpg

geeesh nap time?

Those folks east of 75 have lots of bear and panther stories. They are
pretty thick around here.
It isn't really even news until they come west of 75. We had a black
bear running around downtown Ft Myers for a few weeks before FWC could
find him. Folks were sending cell phone video to the TV station every
other day of him in a dumpster somewhere. They finally saw him in a
tree at the city golf course and a trapper came and got him.

Guess his vacation was over and they sent him back home.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have to put my trash container at the edge of the road twice a week for
the trash service to empty. Sometimes, like today, the wind eventually
blows it over before the truck comes when the container is lightly loaded.
Then I have to remove the container including trash in the hope things work
out better next time.

This has become more of a problem this year when the number of windy days
with strong winds have increased all this year.

Ahhh! You see my question coming!

How can I prevent this problem without putting a bunch of bricks in the
container when I have only a small light amount of trash? I suspect it's
hopeless.

TIA

I always lay mine flat on the ground, with removable top visably closed.
Been doing that ever since racoon started tipping it over. The trash man
just let's lid on ground somewhere. If the wind blows, sometimes the lid
will fly away.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/13/2015 5:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On 13 Nov 2015 16:25:08 GMT, KenK wrote:
How can I prevent this problem without putting a bunch of bricks in the
container when I have only a small light amount of trash? I suspect it's
hopeless.

TIA

Take the container out on a non-windy day or 5 minutes before the
truck arrives for collection...

Years ago, I hired the neighbor boys to put my trash can
out. Not this boy in the video, but about the same age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX10yC928g4

Glad we dont have those big ugly containers.I can put out any number of
cans plus bags plus furniture and other junk. Cant put out certain items
like electronic. I suppose if I had one of those machine operated
containers, I could stick in some electronic items, like tvs and monitors.
LOL

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What a big dogie! ^__^

I recall reading about mountain lions eating joggers who go for runs in wild areas of Californiastan. The big cats have increased in numbers ever since critter rights activists pushed for laws making them a protected species. Now it's humans who are the endangered species. Big cats say people taste like chicken. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Kitty Monster