Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dont they sharpen axes at the factory anymore?

I bought an inexpensive axe (12" hatchet) at Menards for $12.99. Made by
Yardworks. I mainly bought it for cutting roots on a digging job I'm
doing. I have a costly axe for actually cutting trees and similar uses,
and I dont want to dull that one on roots. This one I just bought dont
seem to bad for the price, has a fiberglass handle with a rubber grip,
but you'd think they would sharpen it.

It came with a piece of rubbery clear protective coating over the blade,
which appears to have been dipped in this stuff. Anyhow, I removed that
protective coating and it's not even close to being sharp. Sure, I can
sharpen it, but that's not a job I enjoy doing. It dont need to be a
precise sharpening job for what I intend to use it for, but the way I
bought it, I doubt it will cut much of anything.