Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub electrical question

First off, don't worry, I plan to hire an electrician since I'm not comfortable messing with the main breaker box. I just want to know about feasibility and difficulty (or ease) of this proposition before making a choice on a new hot tub.

We recently removed our old dead hot tub from our deck. When we got it, we had an electrician install a dedicated 220V, 50 amp circuit. It has a breaker in the breaker box, and another breaker and cut-off switch outside on the side of the house in a separate box - about 10' from the tub. This was done about 5 years ago, so the wiring is pretty new. The tub itself was older and used when we got it, but the price was right (free - plus the cost for moving and wiring). It served us well, but gave up the ghost last year. Now we're looking for a replacement and have been looking at smaller hot tubs. Most of them seem to be of the 110V "Plug-n-play" variety, though they say they do require a 15amp dedicated circuit.

Since the wiring for the old tub is all already there (I think it's 6 gauge, 4 wire) - even though it would be total over-kill, would it be an easy thing to convert this circuit to be a 110V, 15 amp circuit? Basically as simple as putting in new breakers of the appropriate amperage, and adding a receptacle to the end of the wire (previously it was wired directly into the tub)?

Thanks.

-J

OK. Electrical question now ... Arfa Daily UK diy 17 May 23rd 11 02:44 PM
electrical question [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 6th 07 01:28 PM
Electrical Question Joe Home Repair 16 June 19th 06 10:36 PM
Electrical Question Bill Davis Jr Woodworking 24 October 21st 05 03:40 AM
Electrical Question Wayne's Locks Home Repair 1 June 24th 03 01:51 PM