Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub electrical question

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:41:05 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/5/2015 9:29 AM, J wrote:
First off, don't worry, I plan to hire an electrician since I'm not
comfortable messing with the main breaker box. I just want to know about
feasibility and difficulty (or ease) of this proposition before making a
choice on a new hot tub.

We recently removed our old dead hot tub from our deck. When we got it, we
had an electrician install a dedicated 220V, 50 amp circuit. It has a
breaker in the breaker box, and another breaker and cut-off switch outside
on the side of the house in a separate box - about 10' from the tub. This
was done about 5 years ago, so the wiring is pretty new. The tub itself was
older and used when we got it, but the price was right (free - plus the cost
for moving and wiring). It served us well, but gave up the ghost last year.
Now we're looking for a replacement and have been looking at smaller hot
tubs. Most of them seem to be of the 110V "Plug-n-play" variety, though
they say they do require a 15amp dedicated circuit.

It would have to be a pretty small "load" to get by with just ~1800W
(for pump, blower and heater).

Since the wiring for the old tub is all already there (I think it's 6 gauge,
4 wire) - even though it would be total over-kill, would it be an easy thing
to convert this circuit to be a 110V, 15 amp circuit? Basically as simple
as putting in new breakers of the appropriate amperage, and adding a
receptacle to the end of the wire (previously it was wired directly into the
tub)?

Make the adaptation at the "cut off box" and no one will bat an eyelash.
You can install a smaller breaker, there, and treat it as a subpanel
(one that only feeds a 15A circuit).

Do you have any other things nearby that you'd also want to power?
I.e., that could justify another circuit hanging off that "subpanel"?

Be sure you look into GFCI requirements if they aren't satisfied by the
branch circuit itself.

I wonder how much power it takes to run a "Hot Tub Time Machine"? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tub Monster