Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I remove this faucet cartridge

My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to get the cartridge out.

It looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/7865232@N08/Qc2r91

I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but it would not budge in either direction.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks.

-J
Posted to alt.home.repair

The linked picture (of a nice clean cartridge) is actually the cold tap. It's the hot tap that's leaking, and the picture of that is not as pretty: lots of black gunk - probably from a corroded o-ring.

-J
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2015 09:07 AM, J wrote:
My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to get the cartridge out.

It looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/7865232@N08/Qc2r91

I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but it would not budge in either direction.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks.

-J

It looks to be in good condition so it should come off with a wrench .
Use one of good quality that grips on all six sides and turn it counter
clockwise.

Though more than likely quite tight, it should come apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 10:07 AM, J wrote:
My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to get the cartridge out.

It looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/7865232@N08/Qc2r91

I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but it would not budge in either direction.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks.

-J

Don't know the specific cartridge. Know that Moen's often require
cartridge puller.

Sometimes best to call a plumber. I did for Moen cartridge in my 35
year old shower as I learned from year before pulling one in bathtub
without puller that I was in danger of breaking pipes.

DIY, maybe find a utube video on brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/01/2015 9:15 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/01/2015 09:07 AM, J wrote:
My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to
get the cartridge out.

It looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/7865232@N08/Qc2r91

I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but
it would not budge in either direction.

Am I missing something simple here?

It looks to be in good condition so it should come off with a wrench .
Use one of good quality that grips on all six sides and turn it counter
clockwise.

Though more than likely quite tight, it should come apart.

+1 I'd suggest a deepwell socket (like spark plug socket, for example)
if the stem isn't too long. If not a good box end, do _not_ use an
adjustable ("crescent") wrench or a sorry open end or you'll risk
rounding it off.

An impact or two on the end to apply some high impulse shock may do
wonders...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/01/2015 9:29 AM, dpb wrote:

An impact or two on the end to apply some high impulse shock may do
wonders...

On the end of the _wrench_, of course, not the valve stem or...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

yes,
I used a good deep socket and rachet and the problem I had was that the entire assembly turned insted of loosening the cartrage.

So I tried a small electric impact wrench. It came out in 1 second.

I strongly recommend an impact wrench for this job.

Not becasue it needs a lot of torque, but because it will loosen stuff without spinning the whole assembly.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2015 9:29 AM, dpb wrote:

An impact or two on the end to apply some high impulse shock may do
wonders...

On the end of the _wrench_, of course, not the valve stem or...

--

yes,
I used a good deep socket and rachet and the problem I had was that the entire assembly turned insted of loosening the cartrage.

So I tried a small electric impact wrench. It came out in 1 second.

I strongly recommend an impact wrench for this job.

Not becasue it needs a lot of torque, but because it will loosen stuff without spinning the whole assembly.

Mark

I forgot to add.. I used a Danco brand replacement and it leaked again in a few months. Went through a few Dancos and they leaked after a short time. Now I tried a real American Standard. So far it is holding but it has only been a few days.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the quick advice. I'll see if I can find a deep socket that fits. If not, I'll try the helpful neighbor, and give it a few whacks - the wrench, not the neighbor ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 08:34:21 -0700 (PDT), J wrote:

Thanks for all the quick advice. I'll see if I can find a deep socket that fits. If not, I'll try the helpful neighbor, and give it a few whacks - the wrench, not the neighbor ;-)

In addition, you can try soaking the nut with penetrating fluid (maybe
overnight) and tap it a few times -- allowing the fluid to get into
the threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks you guys!

I finally had the time to look through my tools (the slow drip was not forcing me to do anything quickly) and I found a deep socket that fit the bill (I mean, the nut) - 15/16". Better yet, the handle of the socket wrench was very long (actually an old-style torque wrench). Now, I understand the physics of torque = force x moment-arm, but I was still surprised at how easily the thing turned once I had the proper tools. So easily that I think I had to have loosened it with the crescent wrench. I mean, when I was using the crescent wrench, I seemed to be physically deforming the nut, with nothing budging.

Anyway, I was able to get the replacement cartridge at home despot (under $8) and the drip is no more. Yay!

-J
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/15/2015 2:06 PM, J wrote:
Thanks you guys!

I finally had the time to look through my tools (the slow drip was
not forcing me to do anything quickly) and I found a deep socket that fit
the bill (I mean, the nut) - 15/16". Better yet, the handle of the
socket wrench was very long (actually an old-style torque wrench). Now,
I understand the physics of torque = force x moment-arm, but I was still
surprised at how easily the thing turned once I had the proper tools. ...

Indeed, it's "the secret of the trade" as often as not...