Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alaska Coal Stove Recalls

Can someone tell me how I can find out if there has been any recalls filed on any of the Alaska Coal Stoves.

Inside of my coal stove are 3, little nubs that help hold up the grate. The nub in the back has broken off with a clean break and is gone. Of course if you try to shake the shaker the grate tilts and the entire bed, of hot coals, fall to the floor . . . End of fire-bed and heat.

I call asking for a repair appointment and a week later called again to tell them the gentlemen that lives in the house is home from his rehabilitation (from his hospital) stay at the nursing home, and why did not i receive the call back from them on the appointment. I willnot go into what happened after that, nor after my call to the Alaska "manufacturer" in Bloomsburg, pa, but, what with the ridiculousness of the two conversations, I realized there was something BIG going on and that I was in trouble. I always find it very difficult to have an adult conversation with good people that are bad liars.

Thereis a little, old (83), man spending his first morning home from the nursing home in a cold, lonely house. I sure hope his rehab. at the nursing home holds up better than the Alaska coal furnace with one, little, broken nub (there are 3 of them), which helps to holds up the grate, a little nub that cannot be repaired, rigged, nor replaced.

I think the back nubs, that break, on these furnaces, also have some weight to bear, or interplay, for the end of the shaker. In other words theyare possibly under more stress than the ones on either side of the wall of the furnace, but are of the same size, weight etc. as the little, side nubs. I feel, this, then, is a defect and there should be a recall, and the buyer shouldnot have to bear the losses involved, lack of heat, hardship, expense of the expensive "fix", not to mention the deceit and loss of time (considering the weather) which is actually an entire re-design of the entire grate system, costing bigtime.

Seems a hunk of iron should last a lot longer than 10 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 07:43:10 -0700 (PDT), Shylock
wrote:

[...]

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can someone tell me how I can find out if there has been any recalls filed on any of the Alaska Coal Stoves.

Hop onto the Internet, visit https://duckduckgo.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

....there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2015 10:43 AM, Shylock wrote:
[...]

Unless there are many stoves with broken nubs from a design or
manufacturing error, there would be no recall. Unless there is a very
long warranty, you are SOL.

Cast iron is not easily welded. I'd drill a hole and put a big bolt in
place with nuts on both sides. A 3/8" would hold a bit of weight.

As for the longevity, no comment because I have no idea of what the
design was and how it was used during those 10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:43:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

...there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.

Do you have the bird feeder in 1000 degree heat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:11:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:43:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

...there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.

Do you have the bird feeder in 1000 degree heat?

Not today. I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time.

What would be your solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 9:43:18 AM UTC-5, Shylock wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you could get another source of heat while you're trying to sort out the problem with your stove. In the 21st Century there are some fairly efficient and much safer sources of heat than burning coal. Do you have someone, a family member who could lend you an electric heater? I lived for quite a while with a modern kerosene heater which kept me comfortable without too much hassle. I had the type with the removable tank which makes it much safer to refill away from the operating heater. If you have no family to help you, there are church groups and charitable service organizations made up of some very wonderful people who'd be glad to assist you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heater Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:43:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

...there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.

Do you have the bird feeder in 1000 degree heat?

Not today. I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time.

What would be your solution?

The "glue" would be fine IF it was rated for expected temps. Otherwise
I'd be looking at a "bolted" solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2015 2:11 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:43:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

...there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.

Do you have the bird feeder in 1000 degree heat?

Blue Magic 2400 degrees
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...al/515553_0_0/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:28:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/26/2015 2:11 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:43:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:06:43 -0400, Mr.E wrote:

What are the possibilities that a hole can be tapped and fitted with a
stud or bolt (from the outside maybe) to replace the nub?

...there are metal to metal type epoxies. I used one on a metal bird
feeder -- worked great.

Do you have the bird feeder in 1000 degree heat?

Blue Magic 2400 degrees
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...al/515553_0_0/

How 'bout them apples...