Posted to alt.home.repair

Default siding on house

I have some siding on my house. It looks like really cheap stuff because after 20 years, it is warping and water damage caused some of the layers to bubble up. I don't want to replace all of the wall. I visited 3 lumber yards trying to match the panels that are on the wall, but had no luck in finding someone who carries the same brand and pattern.
Each panel is made up of a particle board piece made to look as if it were 3 horizontal panels. The piece is about 12 feet long and 1 foot high. I was thinking of cutting a piece of concret board to look like the 4 inch high board and stacking them 3 high. The bottom lip looks as if it has a beveled lip on the bottom.
Do you think I can make the replacement pieces to look exactly like the other pieces that are there? Or is that just too hard to match unless one has serious experience and tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here it is. Even though I rotated pic, it needs to be rotated 90 deg CW.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/5219344368.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2015 11:56 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some siding on my house. It looks like really cheap stuff because after 20 years, it is warping and water damage caused some of the layers to bubble up. I don't want to replace all of the wall. I visited 3 lumber yards trying to match the panels that are on the wall, but had no luck in finding someone who carries the same brand and pattern.
Each panel is made up of a particle board piece made to look as if it were 3 horizontal panels. The piece is about 12 feet long and 1 foot high. I was thinking of cutting a piece of concret board to look like the 4 inch high board and stacking them 3 high. The bottom lip looks as if it has a beveled lip on the bottom.
Do you think I can make the replacement pieces to look exactly like the other pieces that are there? Or is that just too hard to match unless one has serious experience and tools.

Particle board should not be used on an exterior...I'd consider
replacing it all.

If there is just one panel though that needs to be replaced, maybe you
could just replace it with individual boards of the same size as the
fake ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you're talking about masonite clapboard.
It may be still available, but it never was a good
idea. You could possibly make your own, out of
the tempered masonite, which is slightly water
resistant. Probably a better idea would be to switch
to cedar clapboard, changing out the old stuff
gradually as it breaks down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 12:17:45 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
Here it is. Even though I rotated pic, it needs to be rotated 90 deg CW.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/5219344368.html

When I needed to match an area...I removed one from the back of the house, and put a smooth Masonite board in its place.

House siding Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 2 August 15th 07 03:59 AM
100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Vinyl House Siding Corinne Home Repair 28 June 5th 05 12:56 PM
House Siding Corinne Home Repair 1 June 4th 05 10:26 PM
Re-Doing The Siding On A House ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 January 24th 05 09:38 PM