Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Typical cost of a patio door

Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Add one and divide by two. Prices are different in Brooklyn, New
York. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:21:05 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range?

Price range for what? The door or the door and installation?

What kind of patio door? Wood? Vinyl? Low-E? Etc?

What is the existing RO made from? Wood? Brick? Steel?

Where do you live?

What style is your house?

Price range: Ridiculously cheap to holy crap expensive.

Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Yes...errr...wait...I mean...No...umm...hold on...OK, let's go with "Maybe".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Add one and divide by two. Prices are different in Brooklyn, New
York. YMMV.

Does one of you live in Brooklyn?

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2015 2:20 PM, Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Need a little more information. When someone says "patio door" they
usually usually mean a slider or French door. At 28" it sounds like you
want an entrance door. You can spend from about $200 to $2,000
depending on what you want. I'd stop at the local home store and see
what they have and if it what you are looking for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of.
No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too
busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 6:03:47 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of.
No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too
busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

I did check those places if u read my post i did say it was a unusual size..which they do not carry. Its wood with glass panels half facing the exterior and the other interior.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of.
No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too
busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

I did check those places if u read my post i did say it was a unusual size..which they do not carry. Its wood with glass panels half facing the exterior and the other interior.

At least my neighborhood HD, custom order is OK. I needed a double pane
glass inserts(almost whole length and with was shattered by little stone
flying off the lawn mower) I took exact measurement, HD custom ordered
it, delivered to me in ~2weeks) We have a windows/doors manufacturing
plant too. They cater individual consumer's need. Their service is
second to none. ~50 YO family owned company. This particular HD store is
voted No. 1 customer service in the whole country year after years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of.
No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too
busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

I did check those places if u read my post i did say it was a unusual size..which they do not carry. Its wood with glass panels half facing the exterior and the other interior.

28" is not all that uncommon by older standards. You should be able to
special rder in from many places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Does HD mean hardware or Home Depot. Usually Home Depot but you say
it's family-owned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the confusion. HD and the Windows/doors manufacturing co.
owned by a private family two separate outfits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

I bought all my doors and windows from a local Norandex-Reynolds outlet. I know a retired salesman from the store and he put in a good word for me. I get an entry-level contractor's discount. Not huge, but enough, and I deal directly with a specific salesman, not just whoever happens to be working that day.

Based on my research, the discount is worth about one upgrade level. For example, one of the entry doors I bought matched the specs for the first level of a Home Depot "special order" door but I paid a little less than their best in-stock door price.

The windows were a slightly better deal and I deal directly with the manufacturer if there is an issue. I had one window fog up and all it took was one phone to their Customer Service department. One week later I had a custom sized window showed up at my door.

I love finding small, niche retailers. It's just more fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of.
No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too
busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

I did check those places if u read my post i did say it was a unusual size..which they do not carry.

Actually, you said it was 28", but you didn't tell us the height, and you
didn't say it was an "unusual size". Many replacement doors are custom made
when ordered, so "unusual" may not matter anyway.

For example, the Pella chart at this link shows a minimum width of 24" for a
single panel hinged patio door.

http://professional.pella.com/doors

You might want to give them a call with your exact rough opening
measurements for a estimate of cost. They can do a better job of gathering
the details they need than we can.