Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:29:39 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I used to see a lot of "Linksys" SSIDs without wireless security. Once I
considered connecting and changing it to something like "I'm so
insecure!" or "I need my WPA!",

You have to realize what Jeff is trying to tell you, which is that any
common name for the ESSID has *already* been hashed.

In that case, WPA2/PSK is worthless.

Use a common name, and you immediately have no security no matter what
you set the security to.

Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 09/03/2015 11:53 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 10:29:39 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I used to see a lot of "Linksys" SSIDs without wireless security. Once I
considered connecting and changing it to something like "I'm so
insecure!" or "I need my WPA!",

You have to realize what Jeff is trying to tell you, which is that any
common name for the ESSID has *already* been hashed.

In that case, WPA2/PSK is worthless.

WPA2/PSK is one thing that is needed. Another is a better ESSID.

--
112 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"He's a born-again Christian. The trouble is, he suffered brain damage
during rebirth."
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:59:08 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

WPA2/PSK is one thing that is needed. Another is a better ESSID.

You need both.
One without the other is worthless.

Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 09/05/2015 09:50 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:59:08 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

WPA2/PSK is one thing that is needed. Another is a better ESSID.

You need both.
One without the other is worthless.

Yes, both are better. I was never recommending only one, even though
that would be far from worthless.

--
110 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If I see a professing vegetarian eating meat, it is no hypocrisy for me
to point out his inconsistency even though I personally do not subscribe
to the principles of vegetarianism."