Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Eyeglass Frames Re-Soldering Question ?

Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bob:
Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

I had a set of fancy-schmancy titanium frames that broke there.

The word I got from eyeglass shops was that they were not repairable.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would repair them by adding a piece of metal, like from a paper clip, to bridge the break, and then use a mixture of epoxy and sewing thread wrapped around the old and new metal to hold them together. After the epoxy sets, I would paint the entire frame with a suitable color paint so that the patch looks like it was part of the original frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Bob:
Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

I had a set of fancy-schmancy titanium frames that broke there.

The word I got from eyeglass shops was that they were not repairable.

would you expect them to tell you otherwise?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 19 Aug 2015 09:12:46 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I would repair them by adding a piece of metal, like from a paper clip, to bridge the break, and then use a mixture of epoxy and sewing thread wrapped around the old and new metal to hold them together. After the epoxy sets, I would paint the entire frame with a suitable color paint so that the patch looks like it was part of the original frame.

That's a good idea, but painting the whole thing leaves the whole thing
subject to chipping.

Maybe you can just paint the part you fiddled with, up to the next
natural boundary, like the rim of a lens.

And instead of paint consider a marker pen. I have a brass candleabra
that I didn't want to take to have replated again (bought during WWII
when solid brass was impossible to get, unless you wanted valves for
your fighter plane.) And instead of painting I just used a "gold"
marer pen. Looked just like it did when I'd had it replated, 25 years
earlier. (It wasn't an area that ever shone, almost glossy but not
image reflective.)

They have silver colored pens too. Check the dollar store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2015 10:49 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

I took my mom's to a local jeweler that uses a laser to do spot-weld
repairs. Same-day service on eyeglasses, and the price was reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/19/2015 10:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bob:
Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

I had a set of fancy-schmancy titanium frames that broke there.

The word I got from eyeglass shops was that they were not repairable.

Yep...the hinge on my eye glasses broke and I took them to a repair shop
and they said the same thing "Unrepairable"

I got ****ed off as I could fix the hinge myself if I only had a tiny
piece of copper. I found an old all copper penny and snipped off just
enough. Drilled a hole in it and used silver solder.

Though standard electrical solder would work, it's lead and I did not
want that on my face.

Silver solder works fine, just has a slightly higher melting point.

That was 25 years ago and the fix is still good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2015 11:49 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Tensile strength of epoxy is only about 10% that of metal. Solder is
not much better. I don't know about brazing but strength is higher.

I tossed a titanium pair bought from Zenni Optical that broke like that.
Had only paid $50 for them but if they were $350 that they would have
cost locally, I figure I might have got new frames.

No problem with other Zenni glasses but single bridge wire makes for a
weak link in high stress area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob posted for all of us...

Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

The eyeglass place I deal with has a lifetime warranty on their frames. For
the $$$ they should. Take them back and see what they will do to make it
right.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/19/2015 10:49 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

I'd second the query/suggestion regarding whether there's any recourse
from the supplier first and the laser-welding second.

I'm guessing if they are one of these light-weight alloys you'll have
essentially zero luck getting even silver solder to stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2015 2:11 PM, philo wrote:

Yep...the hinge on my eye glasses broke and I took them to a repair shop
and they said the same thing "Unrepairable"

I got ****ed off as I could fix the hinge myself if I only had a tiny
piece of copper. I found an old all copper penny and snipped off just
enough. Drilled a hole in it and used silver solder.

Though standard electrical solder would work, it's lead and I did not
want that on my face.

Silver solder works fine, just has a slightly higher melting point.

That was 25 years ago and the fix is still good.

Good that you could do it, but to pay a shop to do that kind of work it
would cost more than a new frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/19/2015 07:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/19/2015 2:11 PM, philo wrote:

Yep...the hinge on my eye glasses broke and I took them to a repair shop
and they said the same thing "Unrepairable"

I got ****ed off as I could fix the hinge myself if I only had a tiny
piece of copper. I found an old all copper penny and snipped off just
enough. Drilled a hole in it and used silver solder.

Though standard electrical solder would work, it's lead and I did not
want that on my face.

Silver solder works fine, just has a slightly higher melting point.

That was 25 years ago and the fix is still good.

Good that you could do it, but to pay a shop to do that kind of work it
would cost more than a new frame.

Since the frames are gold, new ones would have been fairly expensive

.... Even if they charged $100 an hour for repair, it was only a
half-hour's work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-20, philo wrote:

Since the frames are gold, new ones would have been fairly expensive

These can be repaired. A good optometrist should have facilities to
repair glasses, not jes sell new frames. If you can't find an
optometrist willing to do the work, try a good jeweler. I often
suspected my optometrist's repair tech sent my gold frames out to be
silver soldered by a local jeweler.

... Even if they charged $100 an hour for repair, it was only a
half-hour's work

If that. Last time I had my $200 gold frames repaired, it cost only
$40. Granted, this was over 10 yrs ago, but I suspect I'd be paying
over $500 dollars to replace these gold frames and six-focal lenses,
these days.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 20 Aug 2015 14:49:27 GMT, notbob

On 2015-08-20, philo wrote:

Since the frames are gold, new ones would have been fairly expensive

These can be repaired. A good optometrist should have facilities to
repair glasses, not jes sell new frames. If you can't find an
optometrist willing to do the work, try a good jeweler. I often
suspected my optometrist's repair tech sent my gold frames out to be
silver soldered by a local jeweler.

... Even if they charged $100 an hour for repair, it was only a
half-hour's work

If that. Last time I had my $200 gold frames repaired, it cost only
$40. Granted, this was over 10 yrs ago, but I suspect I'd be paying
over $500 dollars to replace these gold frames and six-focal lenses,
these days.

nb

What does six-focal mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-20, micky wrote:

What does six-focal mean?

There are other names, I jes couldn't recall them. They are also
called multifocals, varifocal, progresive lenses, etc. Basically,
they are six levels of unlined focal lengths. When I got them, they
were called "computer glasses", as I could easily focus anywhere from
infinity (I'm astigmatic) to 18 inches for my computer monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasses#Progressive

They are great Italian made gold (18K) frames. I no longer wear
glasses cuz I can't afford a new pair. Plus, my astigmatism is minor
enough, I can get by w/o prescription lenses. I now jes do without or
wear off-the-shelf cheaters for reading. I do have an ancient pair of
single focal length prescription laser glasses I keep in the car in
case I end up driving at night.

nb

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.cycling

Default Bob has an "Eyeglass Frames Re-Soldering Question."

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 08:12:39 -0700, "The Burke, colonic retard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message ...

Hello,
Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Seriously, it's always a wonder . . . Folks who have lived long enough and
never seemed to have obtained a well-rounded view of reality as it exists
beyond the confines of their mental immediacy. If, in fact, you were to
tape your gig-lamps together again, be sure to use a bright white tape so
that you can at once be recognized as the doofus you apparently are.
LOL

Sincerely,
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Philosopher at Large