Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Termination

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 10:58:55 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 11:25:53 AM UTC-5, No name wrote:
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of useful
information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful
information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by
people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or
inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.

When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would
destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by
posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd a
turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more
appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarrassing themselves,
but that has not proven the case here; apparently a fool doesn't
realize that he is a fool.

I disagree.

As long as there is some useful info, it is well worth sticking with this group.

Andy

Yes, it's a mix, but still worthwhile. Even those who like to add a bit of useless fluff are often the most knowledgeable on a subject. There is really only one person who has nothing to contribute except off-color comments. We can excuse him because I suspect he has mental health issues relating to a deep need for attention. Most likely he doesn't have a family support system so we can only hope he is able to get therapy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:24:41 PM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
bob_villa belched:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 1:33:22 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 12:25:40 -0400, No name wrote:

I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of
useful information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful
information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by
people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or
inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.

When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would
destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by
posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd
a turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more
appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarassing
themselves, but that has not proven the case here; apparently a
fool doesn't realize that he is a fool.

...somebody please bring me a tissue, tears are falling down my face.

It *is* sad when nice people leave...like the good die young, and you
will live forever! ( ?° _? ?°)

And just *how* do you know he was a nice person? I've read this group for
years, too and don't recognize his name, so just how do you know?

+1

Exactly what I was thinking. And another example of how clueless
some people are. If the OP has been here for years, how come none
of us recognize the name?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 5:24:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Already discussed, too bad you missed it...good grief!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 11:25:53 AM UTC-5, No name wrote:
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of useful
information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful
information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by
people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or
inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.

When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would
destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by
posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd a
turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more
appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarassing themselves,
but that has not proven the case here; apparently a fool doesn't
realize that he is a fool.

I disagree.

As long as there is some useful info, it is well worth sticking with this group.

Andy

There is so much overhead in the other arenas. The best web forums can
do is send you an email if someone replies to you. In Usenet, you
just download all the new headers and you know who replied, and how long
the reply is. No wasted time. Just filter out the jackasses.

(I know about the current big one. His mother dropped him on his head
when he was 6 months old. When he was okay, she dropped him 5 more
times. And this is the result.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
No name typed:
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of
useful information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated,

Right now, I am using Outlook Express as a newsreader and I just now
tried setting message filter rules to filter out the one or two
complete morons. I'll have to see how that works.

P.S. to the OP, No Name:

What newsreader are you using? Have you tried or considered doing a
filter or killfile approach with it to block out the main village
idiot(s)?

I am trying that now and will see what happens.

Wow! I think it worked!

I applied the filters and I no longer see Bozo Boy (you know who) and his
symbiotic alter ego that replies to almost every one of his posts. The
newsgroup screen now looks "normal" with all of the serial repetitive
moronic posts no longer taking up the whole screen. I should have figured
out how to do that a long time ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 6:02:17 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
No name typed:
[...]

Congratulations on your success! Chromie, my cute little Chromebook must access Usenet via Google Groups and there is really no filter except being able to report abuse which will hide the post. Someone is flagging most of Burka Boy's posts but sometimes non-trolls are being flagged for abuse and their threads are hidden too. Dammit I wish I had one of my Windows laptops with me so I could use a real newsreader! á•™(‡€€¸†¼€¶)á•—

[8~{} Uncle Chrome Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Termination goodbye

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:31:29 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 11:38:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:27:51 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

My kill file for this group grows and grows.
It seems like such a good idea, homeowners sharing their
experience fixing things.

A few minutes here shows exactly why we can't have nice things.

Can't blame you one bit.

Why don't you join the movement to leave? You've never offered advice
on DIY as far as I know. All you seem to do is bitch, moan, groan and
complain while gnashing your teeth.

Crap, you beat me to the punch. If this group is so distasteful to him
maybe it's him and not the group.

Ah sucks. When he finds the perfect group, he should not subscribe,
as the group will no longer be perfect. I bet his turds are not
tapered on the end and his ass slams shut?

He keeps trying to pick it up by the clean end...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR posted for all of us...

In ,
No name typed:
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of useful
information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful
information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by
people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or
inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.

When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would
destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by
posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd a
turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more
appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarassing
themselves, but that has not proven the case here; apparently a fool
doesn't realize that he is a fool.

It's true that, more and more, when I open the group mostly all that I see
are serial repetitive moronic posts by one or two posters. Then, buried in
there somewhere are the valid questions and helpful replies.

A while back, I tried to get info on newsreaders that would let me do some
kind of killfile system to just filter them out. But, I never was able to
find such a newsreader or, for the ones that I did find, I honestly couldn't
figure out how to set them up and use them.

Right now, I am using Outlook Express as a newsreader and I just now tried
setting message filter rules to filter out the one or two complete morons.
I'll have to see how that works.

Micro planet Gravity from sourceforge, old but good and free.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My kill file for this group grows and grows.
It seems like such a good idea, homeowners sharing their
experience fixing things.

A few minutes here shows exactly why we can't have nice things.

Can't blame you one bit.

Why don't you join the movement to leave? You've never offered advice
on DIY as far as I know. All you seem to do is bitch, moan, groan and
complain while gnashing your teeth.

Crap, you beat me to the punch. If this group is so distasteful to him
maybe it's him and not the group.

Ah sucks. When he finds the perfect group, he should not subscribe,
as the group will no longer be perfect. I bet his turds are not
tapered on the end and his ass slams shut?

He keeps trying to pick it up by the clean end...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Hey, the physical terrorist here at the center gave me a reacher-grabber, I haven't tried to pick up anything soft and squishy with it yet, I'm afraid it would just smear it around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Presto.../dp/B002BUEW5G

I have the 32" non-folding model and it works great, I can even grab a gal's butt with it. ᕕ(¬ ͜ ¬)ᕗ

[8~{} Uncle Grabber Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Hey, the physical terrorist here at the center gave me a reacher-grabber, I haven't tried to pick up anything soft and squishy with it yet, I'm afraid it would just smear it around. ¯\_(?)_/¯

http://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Presto.../dp/B002BUEW5G

I have the 32" non-folding model and it works great, I can even grab a gal's butt with it. ?(¬ ? ¬)?

[8~{} Uncle Grabber Monster

You will find that you have to adjust the string that closes the jaws on
occasion. Like anything else sometimes you will be surprised what you can
pick up but others disappointed and frustrated. My therapain puts a piece of
twine or shoelace through the hole in the handle to be a wrist lanyard.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*