Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default How to attach vapor barrier to foundation wall?

I want to attach a 20 mil vapor barrier about 2 feet up the foundation
wall in my crawlspace. What is a good way to do this?

I have seen/heard of two methods:

(1) use a ramset (gun that fires a nail) to attach a strip of wood on
the wall pinning the vapor barrier under the strip

(2) drill holes on the cement wall with hammerdrill, then use some sort
of nylon fastener to attach the vapor barrier

Which method is best (or more code compliant)? Are there other methods?

Also, what kind of sealant/glue can I use to make the vapor barrier
on-wall somewhat air tight? I don't want water vapor from under the
vapor barrier to come out along the wall and attack the wood structure
above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:37:01 -0700, Bob wrote:

I want to attach a 20 mil vapor barrier about 2 feet up the foundation
wall in my crawlspace. What is a good way to do this?

I have seen/heard of two methods:

(1) use a ramset (gun that fires a nail) to attach a strip of wood on
the wall pinning the vapor barrier under the strip

(2) drill holes on the cement wall with hammerdrill, then use some sort
of nylon fastener to attach the vapor barrier

Which method is best (or more code compliant)? Are there other methods?

Also, what kind of sealant/glue can I use to make the vapor barrier
on-wall somewhat air tight? I don't want water vapor from under the
vapor barrier to come out along the wall and attack the wood structure
above.

Below the earth surface, look at how to adhere a butyl rubber
membrane. The butyl rubber, some types have an adhesive to maybe stick
to a ball of lard. In other instances tar is rolled on the wall
before the butyl membrane.

Get the membrane as deep as you need for a water / moisture barrier --
below the frost line or in instances of a high water table -- exterior
walls.

People try to fix things inside when the best solution is on the
outside of the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:37:01 -0700, Bob wrote:

I want to attach a 20 mil vapor barrier about 2 feet up the foundation
wall in my crawlspace. What is a good way to do this?

I have seen/heard of two methods:

(1) use a ramset (gun that fires a nail) to attach a strip of wood on
the wall pinning the vapor barrier under the strip

(2) drill holes on the cement wall with hammerdrill, then use some sort
of nylon fastener to attach the vapor barrier

Which method is best (or more code compliant)? Are there other methods?

Also, what kind of sealant/glue can I use to make the vapor barrier
on-wall somewhat air tight? I don't want water vapor from under the
vapor barrier to come out along the wall and attack the wood structure
above.

Etch the concrete and glue the vapout barrier on with a good
polyurethane caulk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:29:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

Outside vapour barrier is useless in a crawl space - vapour barrier
over ground and up the wall to seal moisure down and out.

is 3 mil plastic thick enough for a vapor barrier in a bedroom wall nANCY C Home Repair 4 June 4th 14 01:43 AM
Vapor barrier? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 21st 06 04:56 PM
vapor barrier question with kraft faced batts and radiant barrier foil [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 4th 05 04:39 PM
Vapor Barrier Sasha Home Repair 1 July 20th 05 06:43 PM
vapor barrier effi Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 08:32 PM