Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is 3 mil plastic thick enough for a vapor barrier in a bedroom wall

I am putting insulation in a bedroom wall in my home,i was told i also
have to install a vapor barrier. I have 3 mil plastic but i don't know if
thats enough. My home was built in 1892 and it is balloon frame
construction. and there is no insulation in walls. We live in the midwest
just outside Chicago,and had much experience with severe winters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

3 mils isn't much. Even if it was enough to be effective,
getting it installed without tearing it, making holes, etc
Senior Member

Even though it's only 3 mil, it would probably work fine, but I agree with Trader that it'll be harder to work with because it'll be easily damaged.

Whatever you do, DON'T use two layers of 3 mil plastic to make a 6 mil vapour barrier. If water ever gets between those two sheets (from a flood, or whatever) it'll never dry out and it'll be a breeding ground for mold.

The building code here in Canada requires 6 mil polyethylene plastic for vapour barrier.

But, the truth is that when companies make this plastic, it's thickness can vary. So, if you buy plastic that claims it's 6 mil, that means that the thinnest area in the roll is guaranteed to be 6 mil or more.

You'd be better off just buying something labeled as "vapour barrier", in which case it's probably about 6 mil on average. The stuff that's guaranteed to be at least 6 mil at it's thinnest point costs a lot more than something that just claims to be "vapour barrier".

Last edited by nestork : June 2nd 14 at 05:23 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nANCY C posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I am putting insulation in a bedroom wall in my home,i was told i also
have to install a vapor barrier. I have 3 mil plastic but i don't know if
thats enough. My home was built in 1892 and it is balloon frame
construction. and there is no insulation in walls. We live in the midwest
just outside Chicago,and had much experience with severe winters.

--

I just got a sample of a new vapor barrier material that has some plastic
squiggles on it to allow the moisture that inevitability gets behind the
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie® View Post
I just got a sample of a new vapor barrier material that has some plastic
squiggles on it to allow the moisture that inevitability gets behind the
siding to drain. I can't remember the name.
--
Tekkie
OK, I give up. Why would moisture inevitably get behind the siding? And, why would those little plastic squiggles do anything that ordinary 6 mil vapour barrier wouldn't do?

Plastic as a vapor barrier attic insulation Colbyt Home Repair 4 July 27th 08 09:52 PM
Vapor barrier? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 21st 06 04:56 PM
vapor barrier question with kraft faced batts and radiant barrier foil [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 4th 05 04:39 PM
Vapor Barrier Sasha Home Repair 1 July 20th 05 06:43 PM
vapor barrier effi Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 08:32 PM