Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing water stains from wood panelling

I have some water stains around the edge of some wood panelling in my 60 year-old family room. I would like to somehow remove the darker color of the stains without having to completely refinish the panels that are affected. My first thought was to try some bleach applied to an inconspicuous area using q-tips or equivalent. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 21:23:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have some water stains around the edge of some wood panelling in my 60 year-old family room. I would like to somehow remove the darker color of the stains without having to completely refinish the panels that are affected. My first thought was to try some bleach applied to an inconspicuous area using q-tips or equivalent. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

Might check this link.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-water-stains-from-wood-paneling/

I've read before that mayonnaise removes water rings on furniture.
Never tried it though.

http://interiordec.about.com/od/cleaning/ht/ht_furnwatermks.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heading to the hardware store later today, will try suggested Oxalic acid.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 09:06:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Heading to the hardware store later today, will try suggested Oxalic acid.

Thanks

You mentioned testing products in an inconspicuous area, do the same
with the Oxalic acid. May want to mix it on the weak side first.
Safety glasses, mask and gloves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have some water stains around the edge of some wood panelling in my 60
year-old family room. I would like to somehow remove the darker color of
the stains without having to completely refinish the panels that are
affected. My first thought was to try some bleach applied to an
inconspicuous area using q-tips or equivalent. Hopefully someone will have
a better idea.

Yeah, stop peeing on the floor, you hillbilly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
I have some water stains around the edge of some wood panelling in my 60
year-old family room. I would like to somehow remove the darker color of
the stains without having to completely refinish the panels that are
affected. My first thought was to try some bleach applied to an
inconspicuous area using q-tips or equivalent. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

Oxiclean might do something. Worked on some stains or me. Must be
completely dry to see effects.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

My local Menards did not have Oxalic acid, I will try to find Oxiclean tomorrow and see if that works. Hopefully at Menards or at Walmart??
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
My local Menards did not have Oxalic acid, I will try to find Oxiclean
tomorrow and see if that works. Hopefully at Menards or at Walmart??

I was doing stains on wood floor from padding. After sanding I used
oxiclean mostly on the spots, by may have applied dilute solution to whole
floor. I did three coats of polyurethane a day or two later. I was really
disappointed at results. Looked ugly to me. But then, after some a day or
two, it really changed for the better. Can't say how, but final result
looked good.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:53:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

My local Menards did not have Oxalic acid, I will try to find Oxiclean tomorrow and see if that works. Hopefully at Menards or at Walmart??

A paint store should.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Found some at Walmart. Applied a fairly strong solution to the stains, it removed them partially, but still visible. Will see about removing the surface varnish and then reapply, and then maybe restain the entire panel.