Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY spray foam?

There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

TIA

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-17, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

You need to be more specific. What's it for?

I jes bought some expandable foam to fill in the indentations in my
siding (forget the name of the siding) to keep wasps out. Haven't
used it yet, but only a single can (Great Stuff Big Gap FIller).

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 01:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Mike
wrote in

There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

TIA

Mike

Worked great. Give it a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2015 8:31 PM, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

TIA

Mike

I understand you have to be very careful to follow the
instructions exactly. If you don't it can wind up
making your home unhealthy. You might want to do a
web search to check and see how other people have
done.

I checked on the web a couple of years ago when I saw
somebody pushing their service at a home show.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-17, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

You need to be more specific. What's it for?

I jes bought some expandable foam to fill in the indentations in my
siding (forget the name of the siding) to keep wasps out. Haven't
used it yet, but only a single can (Great Stuff Big Gap FIller).

nb

Amazing how people can ask questions with no info to go on.
I would guess that he's probably talking about something more involved
than a can of spray foam, since he said "kit". Like maybe it's
intended to be the DIY version of the pro stuff that they use to
fill wall cavities, etc. But who knows.. And I'd say it's probably
80% that we'll never find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

I used TigerFoam to insulate under the floor in a cold corner of the house. It's
not a walk in the park to apply, and you have to follow the instructions
exactly, but it does work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 06:23:25 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Amazing how people can ask questions with no info to go on.
I would guess that he's probably talking about something more involved
than a can of spray foam, since he said "kit". Like maybe it's
intended to be the DIY version of the pro stuff that they use to
fill wall cavities, etc. But who knows.. And I'd say it's probably
80% that we'll never find out.

+1 I suspect OP means Great Stuff verses professional ICYNENE.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.popularmechanics.com%2Fimage s%2Ficynene-470-109.jpg&f=1

https://tinyurl.com/nsj3f9w
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-17, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits?
How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

You need to be more specific. What's it for?

I just bought some expandable foam to fill in the indentations in my
siding (forget the name of the siding) to keep wasps out. Haven't
used it yet, but only a single can (Great Stuff Big Gap FIller).

nb

Sorry about that. I hold conversations in my head and forget to
write things down outside my head.

This is a 600 board feet kit (about $600 at Amazon). My intention
is first to spray insulation between two roofs in an external,
detached building I'm performing maintenance and converting to an
"efficiency apartment". The second task, later, would be to spray
the foam insulation inside the structure between the non-structural
framing members. Once the inside is complete and cured I plan to
use Great Stuff to fill cracks from the outside. Once the Great
Stuff is cured I plan to apply a plaster/stucco mix to the outside
to seal the exterior. After the plaster/stucco I will paint the
exterior.

The original application between the roofs will be closed foam and
should be about 1" thick. My idea is to seal the original roof and
insulate. I am considering getting a second kit to apply a second
inch, for a total of two inches, and to make sure everything is
sealed before the second roof (gable) is replaced and sealed.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:23:35 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
.. And I'd say it's probably
80% that we'll never find out.

I was excited. I thought I was going to learn how to make the foam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 18:26:40 +0000 (UTC), Mike
wrote:

Sorry about that. I hold conversations in my head and forget to
write things down outside my head.

I have six (6) committee members in my head. The never agree :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am considering getting a second kit to apply a second
inch, for a total of two inches, and to make sure everything is
sealed before the second roof (gable) is replaced and sealed.

Is there some special reason that you cannot post a link to the foam
"kit" at Amazon you talk about?

Is this a secret?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:33:11 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

Like Arthur Conan Doyle, we used TigerFoam. Two canisters
that looked a bit like propane grill tanks, hoses, mixing
nozzles, everything we needed.

We insulated our crawlspace and a few other areas on the
first occasion, and then we used another batch to insulate
the hot tub we built from a kit. Clearly, since we used
it twice, we liked how it worked the first time.

Follow the instructions meticulously, and don't be afraid to
switch to a new nozzle any time. Buy a few extra nozzles,
just in case. If the mixing doesn't happen correctly, the
foam won't cure properly.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 12:41:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:33:11 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits? How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

Like Arthur Conan Doyle, we used TigerFoam. Two canisters
that looked a bit like propane grill tanks, hoses, mixing
nozzles, everything we needed.

We insulated our crawlspace and a few other areas on the
first occasion, and then we used another batch to insulate
the hot tub we built from a kit. Clearly, since we used
it twice, we liked how it worked the first time.

Follow the instructions meticulously, and don't be afraid to
switch to a new nozzle any time. Buy a few extra nozzles,
just in case. If the mixing doesn't happen correctly, the
foam won't cure properly.

Cindy Hamilton

Sorry. OP never identified his desired kit. Got a link about what he
is talking about, so we all can get on the same page?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-17, Mike wrote:
There is a kit (several) from Amazon. Has anyone used these kits?
How did it work out?
Do you have any recommendations?

You need to be more specific. What's it for?

I just bought some expandable foam to fill in the indentations in my
siding (forget the name of the siding) to keep wasps out. Haven't
used it yet, but only a single can (Great Stuff Big Gap FIller).

nb

Sorry about that. I hold conversations in my head and forget to
write things down outside my head.

This part of what you said made me nod my head enthusiastically! I
think a lot of people do that and wonder why the person they are talking
to doesn't have a clue. lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am considering getting a second kit to apply a second
inch, for a total of two inches, and to make sure everything is
sealed before the second roof (gable) is replaced and sealed.

Is there some special reason that you cannot post a link to the foam
"kit" at Amazon you talk about?

Is this a secret?

Not a secret. There are a few I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/FOAM-Polyurethane-Spray-Foam-Insulation/dp/B00597CCUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-3&keywords=spray+foam+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Component-Polyurethane-Foam-600-Board/dp/B0068A2JPK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-7&keywords=spray+foam+kit

http://www.amazon.com/DOW-FROTH-PAK-Complete-341171-347036/dp/B00K34XQOA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-5&keywords=spray+foam+kit

I mentally planned on the first link. Just now I see there's an
additional $115 for shipping.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Sorry. OP never identified his desired kit. Got a link about what he
is talking about, so we all can get on the same page?

http://tigerfoam.com/ - also has videos showing the application process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 02:37:35 +0000 (UTC), Mike
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/FOAM-Polyurethane-Spray-Foam-Insulation/dp/B00597CCUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-3&keywords=spray+foam+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Component-Polyurethane-Foam-600-Board/dp/B0068A2JPK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-7&keywords=spray+foam+kit

http://www.amazon.com/DOW-FROTH-PAK-Complete-341171-347036/dp/B00K34XQOA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437186961&sr=8-5&keywords=spray+foam+kit

I mentally planned on the first link. Just now I see there's an
additional $115 for shipping.

Well I learned something, Mike. I had never seen these types of kits.
Only done by pros (ICYNENE) and not DIY. Times have changed.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in

Artie!! How goes it man? Long time no see!

Glad I ran into you because I just finished reading one of your Sherlock
stories and have a guestion I've been wanting to ask you. It's about the
rather singular relationship between Holmes and Watson. I know that
somewhere along the story line Watson get married, but his wife dies after
a few years of happy marriage. Then it's back to that singular
relationship with Holmes again.

It's clear their relationship is "special", but how special? To me it
seems very, very special indeed.

Also, when mixing his 7% solution what does Holmes use for dilution? I'm
assuming water but you never say.

Take care Artie. Keep up the good work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,
DIY spray foam kits are costly but invaluable for irregular surfaces. I followed this guy's recommendation for my retrofit and I'm happy with results and it was much cheaper than spray foam, but is only good for consistent, open areas that you can fit cut boards into (i.e. not crazy irregular surfaces and spaces).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1guAwzyEOQ

Regards,
Theodore.

P.S. for roofs, don't forget to consider leaving an air gap if you have functional soffit and ridge vents!
Posted to alt.home.repair

IF you have irregular surfaces or spaces, spray foam is a costly necessity.
But if you have consistent, even spaces, consider using board insulation cut to size, and spray foam can around perimeter, like this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1guAwzyEOQ

Saves money over spray foam.

Also, if you're doing a ceiling against the roof, remember to consider leaving an airspace if you have functional soffit and ridge vents.

Regards,
Theodore

Spray on foam Steve B[_10_] Home Repair 15 September 13th 11 02:39 PM
Spray Foam Roofing kally jhons Home Repair 0 August 10th 11 11:16 AM
Spray Foam Roofing kally jhons Home Ownership 0 August 10th 11 11:13 AM
Spray foam cubby Home Repair 1 May 8th 10 07:45 PM
Spray on foam Bob Smith \(UK\) UK diy 19 October 16th 04 12:01 AM