Posted to alt.home.repair

Default starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 8:59:20 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

Yes...if it's Styrofoam!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:59:15 -0400, micky
wrote:

starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

Both, depending on the project. Sometimes you need both peices, and
you DON'T want a round hole in either of them. Then you cannot use a
drilled starter hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2015 9:59 PM, micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

I've done both. The plunge cut kicks the
saw back at me many times, before the cut
is established. I try to use slow speed,
and hold the saw so the tip tooth drags
across the wood surface.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2015 9:59 PM, micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

I've done both. With a good saw and the right blade it is not difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start
holes int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

I've used an angleing technique, holding the saw with the blade teeth just
scrapeing the wood, then gradually rotating the saw so the blade cuts deeper and
deeper into the wood till it finally breaks through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2015 07:59 PM, micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Sure. A steady hand and light touch helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:03:21 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start
holes int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

I've used an angleing technique, holding the saw with the blade teeth just
scrapeing the wood, then gradually rotating the saw so the blade cuts deeper and
deeper into the wood till it finally breaks through.

It's especially easy with a variable speed jigsaw but it would be hard to find a jigsaw these days that wasn't variable speed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Saw Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:59:20 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes
int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

Depending on the project, I might start my cut with this and then move on to the sabre saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/Variabl...ool-61219.html

Depending on the thickness of the sabre saw blade, you may still need to do a plunge cut, but you'll have a guide as well as less material to plunge through.