Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Hardware Stores Enter Politics, Turning Away Gays, Turning Away Evangelicals

Why can't retail businesses just do what they are supposed to do: sell
stuff to people that want to buy stuff. Keep politics out of it. Sell to
anyone whose money is green.

A hardware store in Tennessee first put up a sign telling gays that they
weren't allowed, then took that sign down and put up a weasel-worded
sign telling evangelicals that they weren't welcome.

The first sign was pretty blunt, "No Gays Allowed." Not subtle, but gays
would just find another place to shop. The new sign is: "We reserve the
right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of
freedom of speech and freedom of religion." That sign is intended to
keep radical fundamentalist evangelicals out of his store.

I work in San Francisco. I routinely see evangelicals trying to push
their beliefs and religion onto others. Conversely, there are a lot of
gays in San Francisco but they don't harass people and try to convince
them to become gay.

If the owner doesn't want gays in his store then he should have kept the
original sign. Gays would just go to another store. Now he is offending
evangelicals who pride themselves on violating other people's freedom of
speech and freedom of religion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:22:07 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
Why can't retail businesses just do what they are supposed to do: sell
stuff to people that want to buy stuff. Keep politics out of it. Sell to
anyone whose money is green.

A hardware store in Tennessee first put up a sign telling gays that they
weren't allowed, then took that sign down and put up a weasel-worded
sign telling evangelicals that they weren't welcome.

The first sign was pretty blunt, "No Gays Allowed." Not subtle, but gays
would just find another place to shop. The new sign is: "We reserve the
right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of
freedom of speech and freedom of religion." That sign is intended to
keep radical fundamentalist evangelicals out of his store.

I don't see how that could be interpreted as intending to apply
to Christian evangelicals, unless they said something more.
It looks almost certainly targeted at gays following the SC
decision. They just took down the more blatant one and replaced
it with this more subtle one.

I work in San Francisco. I routinely see evangelicals trying to push
their beliefs and religion onto others. Conversely, there are a lot of
gays in San Francisco but they don't harass people and try to convince
them to become gay.

If the owner doesn't want gays in his store then he should have kept the
original sign. Gays would just go to another store. Now he is offending
evangelicals who pride themselves on violating other people's freedom of
speech and freedom of religion.

More likely the gays would be going to court to force him to
take it down. So it's OK to offend gays, but not OK to offend
evangelicals? Go figure. Inquiring minds want to know how
it affects his business or him personally if either come into
his stores. How would he even know if someone is gay, an evangelical
or anything else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 12:10:05 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Here's how I think all this should be handled. If you want
to put those kinds of signs at your business, then I think
it should be your right. It's your business. That includes
putting up a sign that blacks aren't welcome, if you choose.
Let the free market solve it. Any store that puts up such
signs can expect to lose a lot of business. I wouldn't
patronize a business that put up any of those kinds of signs,
nor would the majority of people. The business can also expect
protesters, lots of negative press, disrupting their business.

It's a different situation today than 50 years ago when
you had widespread discrimination against blacks and in
the Jim Crow south you had most places discriminating.
Then I can see a justification for requiring businesses
to serve everyone. Today, the situation has totally
changed. If allowed to discriminate, very few businesses
are going to be dumb enough to do it and those that are
will be ostracized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 08:22:02 -0700, sms
wrote:

Why can't retail businesses just do what they are supposed to do: sell
stuff to people that want to buy stuff. Keep politics out of it. Sell to
anyone whose money is green.

A hardware store in Tennessee first put up a sign telling gays that they
weren't allowed, then took that sign down and put up a weasel-worded
sign telling evangelicals that they weren't welcome.

The first sign was pretty blunt, "No Gays Allowed." Not subtle, but gays
would just find another place to shop. The new sign is: "We reserve the
right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of
freedom of speech and freedom of religion." That sign is intended to
keep radical fundamentalist evangelicals out of his store.

Snip

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They are
the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom of
speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
sms wrote:

[...]

how is this store owner going to determine who is gay? of course gays
could shop elsewhere, but a better solution is to shop for LOTs of
stuff, bring it to the cashier, let them ring it up and then announce
"what is the gay discount here". smother the shop in business that
generates no income

or

just wander the store and when Pastor John enters and shops ask him
loudly if his AIDs treatments are working

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom Mal Reynolds" wrote in message
In article ,
sms wrote:

[...]

or why not just do as the sign says - allow gays that don't try to ram stuff
down everyone's throat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/4/2015 1:24 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

snip

or why not just do as the sign says - allow gays that don't try to ram stuff
down everyone's throat.

Two gays buying a cake, or buying roofing paper, or a hammer, are not
violating anyone's freedom of speech or freedom of religion. But the
store owner is entirely within his rights to not sell to gays since
there is no law in Tennessee that forbids that type of discrimination.

But there _are_ laws preventing discrimination based on religion and his
new sign comes close to this type of discrimination. The new sign is
offensive to those people who routinely annoy others, trying to convert
them to their own belief system, like the owner of the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 10:22:07 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
[...]

I knew the country was going to Hell when they took God out of the hardware stores. Our country has lost its way. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Hardware Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 4:08:52 PM UTC-5, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:
On 7/4/2015 2:19 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They are
the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom of
speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with them.

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your right to an abortion?

I think Democrats should be required to have abortions. That way, the good moral religious Republican gals won't have abortions and the Democrats will eventually die out. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Abortion Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
[...]

God's name is often still invoked by those who buy hammers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:08:40 -0500, Sum Ting-Wong
wrote:

On 7/4/2015 2:19 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They are
the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom of
speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with them.

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your right to an abortion?

Do you mean "How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to
eliminate your right to murder?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 4:08:52 PM UTC-5, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:
On 7/4/2015 2:19 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They
are the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom
of speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with
them.

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your
right to an abortion?

I think Democrats should be required to have abortions. That way, the
good moral religious Republican gals won't have abortions and the
Democrats will eventually die out. ^_^

Right!! There's nothing better than those anti-abortion righties. They are so
morally superior!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1953136.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 5:07:28 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean. Even children want to be the God Thor and wield a hammer just as he does. One side effect is the injuries suffered by children pretending to be the God Thor. Some kids have attached bungee cords in an attempt to make their hammer return to their hand after they throw it. Of course the hammer usually flies back and hits the kid in the head. ER doctors are referring to the resulting injury as "Hammer Head". Parents are beside themselves about the injuries and damage to property caused by children playing God. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hammer Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your right to an abortion?

Do you mean "How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to
eliminate your right to murder?"

Paul Harvey talked about "abortion after the fact". Unwanted baby was
born, but neglected by parent(s) and thus suffers and dies.

Let's start with better sex education.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 5:07 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

I've hear the same thing said of people who stump their toes.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 6:27 PM, Bob F wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 4:08:52 PM UTC-5, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:
On 7/4/2015 2:19 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They
are the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom
of speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with
them.

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your
right to an abortion?

I think Democrats should be required to have abortions. That way, the
good moral religious Republican gals won't have abortions and the
Democrats will eventually die out. ^_^

Right!! There's nothing better than those anti-abortion righties. They are so
morally superior!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1953136.html

Morally superior than whom?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 6:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I feel the same way when people try to play God.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/4/2015 7:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your
right to an abortion?

Do you mean "How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to
eliminate your right to murder?"

Paul Harvey talked about "abortion after the fact". Unwanted baby was
born, but neglected by parent(s) and thus suffers and dies.

Let's start with better sex education.

Maybe it'd be easier to empty the ocean?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/4/2015 3:07 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

The founders never put anything into the constitution regarding hardware
stores and gays. If they had intended for hardware store owners to be
required to serve gays then they would have explicitly stated that in
the constitution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

But they did: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom
of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 4:08:52 PM UTC-5, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:
On 7/4/2015 2:19 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Bull ****! The second sign is intended to keep Democrats out. They
are the ones that constantly want to violate the rights of freedom
of speech and freedom of religion for anyone that disagrees with
them.

How bout those bible-thumpin republicans that want to eliminate your
right to an abortion?

I think Democrats should be required to have abortions. That way, the
good moral religious Republican gals won't have abortions and the
Democrats will eventually die out. ^_^

Right!! There's nothing better than those anti-abortion righties. They are so
morally superior!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1953136.html

Ya see, his mistress was a Democrat and he didn't want some half-breed child in his life to confuse things. He had no choice. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Abortion Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:42:14 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't it be wonderful if research showed that some of the Founders were actually homosexual? Instead of Founding Fathers, we can call them Founding Fairies. I mean, look at those hairdos in the paintings of those guys. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Founding Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do wonder what donald trump would put on every door to his empire??

no hispanics, no illegals, no blacks, nogays???

donald the idiot is a outed bigot. probably bigoted to everyone.............
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 5:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I knew the country was going to Hell when they took God out of the hardware stores. Our country has lost its way. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Hardware Monster

Truly, it is time for a revival. You get the sound
system, I'll rent a tent, and we'll have some good
Bible preaching at the Home Depot. They won't mind.
Heck, do em some good.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 1:09:10 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"sms" wrote in message
[...]

A hardware store is Congress now? And even at that, the first amendment
is about freedom of speech and religion, not discrimination against gays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

It is about freedom of religion, not freedom of worship. And some people's
activities are considered sinful. And it is not for you to say otherwise to
anyone. That is the freedom part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Yes! That could be the way righties "think". It's OK if it's to your advantage,
but not if someone else wants to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

That's the way politicians think. It doesn't matter which way they're threaded. Do you know how to tell when a politician is lying? He/she/it is standing in front of TV cameras. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Political Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:

[...]

I thought that was what those pedophile priests did

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Muggles
wrote:

God's name is often still invoked by those who buy hammers.

I know what you mean. Even children want to be the God Thor and wield a
hammer just as he does. One side effect is the injuries suffered by
children pretending to be the God Thor. Some kids have attached bungee
cords in an attempt to make their hammer return to their hand after they
throw it. Of course the hammer usually flies back and hits the kid in the
head. ER doctors are referring to the resulting injury as "Hammer Head".
Parents are beside themselves about the injuries and damage to property
caused by children playing God. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hammer Monster

I feel the same way when people try to play God.

so you hate republicans?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2015 1:47 PM, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article , Muggles
wrote:

God's name is often still invoked by those who buy hammers.

I know what you mean. Even children want to be the God Thor and wield a
hammer just as he does. One side effect is the injuries suffered by
children pretending to be the God Thor. Some kids have attached bungee
cords in an attempt to make their hammer return to their hand after they
throw it. Of course the hammer usually flies back and hits the kid in the
head. ER doctors are referring to the resulting injury as "Hammer Head".
Parents are beside themselves about the injuries and damage to property
caused by children playing God. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hammer Monster

I feel the same way when people try to play God.

so you hate republicans?

It doesn't take a political label to be guilty of playing God.

--
Maggie

Ace Hardware Stores Cheri Home Repair 26 April 12th 08 07:34 PM
Ode to Hardware Stores [email protected] Woodworking 30 March 2nd 07 10:44 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM