Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skunk deterrent?

I live in a typical residential area in Oregon.
We have a skunk who comes thru about once a week and
stinks the place up.
I have a whole house fan that I use in the evenings
to "reset" the house for the next hot day.
By the time I smell it in the living room, the
bedroom smells like skunk.

It's in the city, so discharge of firearms is not
an option.

I'm thinking about wiring up a stun gun for his enjoyment.
What's good bait to use for skunk?

Other options? I'm not against murdering the critter, but
I'd rather just reroute his trek thru the neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2015 7:43 PM, mike wrote:
I live in a typical residential area in Oregon.
We have a skunk who comes thru about once a week and
stinks the place up.
I have a whole house fan that I use in the evenings
to "reset" the house for the next hot day.
By the time I smell it in the living room, the
bedroom smells like skunk.

It's in the city, so discharge of firearms is not
an option.

I'm thinking about wiring up a stun gun for his enjoyment.
What's good bait to use for skunk?

Other options? I'm not against murdering the critter, but
I'd rather just reroute his trek thru the neighborhood.

I've caught two of them on separate occasions in a Hav-a-hart trap
baited with peanut butter.

I released them as I was after groundhogs and raccoons which were
causing problems.

They say that they will not spray when confined so I guess if you could
throw something over the trap like a blanket you could pick them up and
transport them. I'd probably only risk this in the back of a pickup truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 05:43 PM, mike wrote:
I live in a typical residential area in Oregon.
We have a skunk who comes thru about once a week and
stinks the place up.

What gets the skunk excited? A few weeks ago I was out in the woods,
hopped over a little creek and almost landed on a skunk. I froze,
thinking things were about to go sideways. The skunk contemplated the
thing suddenly blocking his path, hung a left, and ambled off to find
someplace else to cross the creek.

The bottom line of the anecdote is the skunk didn't have any more aroma
than a house cat. A ****ed off skunk is another thing entirely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 09:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
The bottom line of the anecdote is the skunk didn't have any more aroma
than a house cat

Some times when I go into a house with cats, I want to puke. 15 cats
all named Mr. Darcy. Oh No !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2015 9:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/03/2015 05:43 PM, mike wrote:
I live in a typical residential area in Oregon.
We have a skunk who comes thru about once a week and
stinks the place up.

What gets the skunk excited? A few weeks ago I was out in the woods,
hopped over a little creek and almost landed on a skunk. I froze,
thinking things were about to go sideways. The skunk contemplated the
thing suddenly blocking his path, hung a left, and ambled off to find
someplace else to cross the creek.

The bottom line of the anecdote is the skunk didn't have any more aroma
than a house cat. A ****ed off skunk is another thing entirely.

Then, this skunk must be mighty ****ed off.
Whole house reeks from his passing in the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/15 2:00 AM, mike wrote:
On 7/3/2015 9:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/03/2015 05:43 PM, mike wrote:
I live in a typical residential area in Oregon.
We have a skunk who comes thru about once a week and
stinks the place up.

What gets the skunk excited? A few weeks ago I was out in the woods,
hopped over a little creek and almost landed on a skunk. I froze,
thinking things were about to go sideways. The skunk contemplated the
thing suddenly blocking his path, hung a left, and ambled off to find
someplace else to cross the creek.

The bottom line of the anecdote is the skunk didn't have any more aroma
than a house cat. A ****ed off skunk is another thing entirely.

Then, this skunk must be mighty ****ed off.
Whole house reeks from his passing in the night.

It's marking its territory. Maybe it's there every night and marks weekly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 11:09 PM, T wrote:
Some times when I go into a house with cats, I want to puke. 15 cats
all named Mr. Darcy. Oh No !!!!

Any cat I've been associated with was a free range cat.

Rodent deterrent [email protected] UK diy 14 May 25th 15 12:59 PM
Bear deterrent Roy Home Repair 24 June 13th 12 03:23 AM
Wiki: Cat deterrent [email protected] UK diy 14 February 10th 09 03:29 PM
The nuclear deterrent. Weatherlawyer UK diy 31 July 17th 06 06:40 PM
Fox & Cat Deterrent Nodge UK diy 27 July 15th 06 12:49 PM