Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Linux? Why Even Bother?

Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now.
Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 10:46:11 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now.
Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.

To me, Linux is like personal computing in the early days where only computer geeks messed with PC's and most people had no idea how to use one. Personally, I see it as fun to be able to modify an operating system so the software will do what you want it to do. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle CPU Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not a big deal, some people hire everything done for them, some are
able to mow their own yards, change their own oil, paint their own
houses, fix their own computers, change a light bulb and use Linux.
I've been running win10 beta on a computer but when MSFT wants me to buy
it I'll just put Linux Mint on that computer. No need to waste a
hundred bucks.
Either one Linux or windows works plenty good enough for what I do. I
put Linux Mint on a neighbor's computer when MSFT quit supporting winxp.
He's getting along just fine with it.
http://linuxmint.com/

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Troll? Why Even Bother Reading It?

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:

Walmart (snipped, unread)

*plonk*

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 24/06/2015 13:15, chrisv wrote:
Scurvy McRicketts wrote:

Walmart (snipped, unread)

*plonk*

You deny that Walmart failed to successfully sell cheap machines
pre-loaded with Linux.

Let's not forget that the number one argument you guys come up with
against Microsoft is the fact that it's pre-loaded on so many machines.
So do tell why it is that when Linux is free, and pre-loaded onto
similar hardware it fails to sell?

Look! A dust cloud as another Linux advocate runs away from the facts.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 06:54 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:

You deny that Walmart failed to successfully sell cheap machines
pre-loaded with Linux.

I think we can agree a certain level of intelligence is necessary to
effectively use GNU/Linux. The real job of Walmart greeters is to detect
that level of intelligence and refuse entry to those persons.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:49 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts
Gave us:

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

There is a new TV series where Linux is used and directly mentioned.

Show me a TV series where Windows is touted as anything other than a
vulnerable POS not ever ready for any business to use, unless they want
to be hacked in the first week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-24, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?

Only in Windows Lemming La La land is someone labeled a kook
for merely using an alternative. You would think Windows Lemmings
are all some flavor of communist or fascist for all of their
intolerance of people making their own choices.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:13 -0500, JEDIDIAH Gave
us:

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-24, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?

Only in Windows Lemming La La land is someone labeled a kook
for merely using an alternative. You would think Windows Lemmings
are all some flavor of communist or fascist for all of their
intolerance of people making their own choices.

You have a God given talent for completely missing the point.
The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows
models.
They chose the Windows models.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 11:15 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Nah, let them use what they want. The one thing *I* would like is for
them to stop lying about Linux and start telling the truth, for once.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 11:15 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Nah, let them use what they want. The one thing *I* would like is for
them to stop lying about Linux and start telling the truth, for once.

If a new install of win10 is free, I'll keep using it, other wise I'll
use linux and the money can stay in my pocket. Either one gets the job
done.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Op 24-06-15 om 17:18 schreef Tomas:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:13 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

snip
The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows
models.
They chose the Windows models.

I bought one (HP) with Windows because it was cheaper and had better specs.
Then made it useful by wiping this Windows and installing Linux.
Now six years later it is still in use as a mini media server with
Spotify and KRadio.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Op 24-06-15 om 17:30 schreef Slimer:
The one thing *I* would like is for them to stop lying about Linux and
start telling the truth, for once.

Yeah, you ARE in need of truth

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now.
Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.

After reading the win10 preview newsgroup, it appears that a lot of people
aren't a bit happy on some design decisions that were made in regards to
win10. Some are saying that the moment is ripe for linux to get its act
together and put out a clean distro with support. The linux community also
has to support this by writing decent and well thought out apps. Last
chance for this to happen. But I'm afraid that this may be too big of a
hurdle for this to succeed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 06:14 AM, Home is where I hang my hat wrote:
Not a big deal, some people hire everything done for them, some are
able to mow their own yards, change their own oil, paint their own
houses, fix their own computers, change a light bulb and use Linux. I've
been running win10 beta on a computer but when MSFT wants me to buy it
I'll just put Linux Mint on that computer. No need to waste a hundred
bucks.

I feel like doing that (with Win 8 too), but will probably end up buying
it, since I'll be expected to help someone else use Win10 (It has
already happened with Win8).

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The history on intellectual progress is written in the lives of
infidels." -- Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899),
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2015 1:59 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/24/2015 06:14 AM, Home is where I hang my hat wrote:
Not a big deal, some people hire everything done for them, some are
able to mow their own yards, change their own oil, paint their own
houses, fix their own computers, change a light bulb and use Linux. I've
been running win10 beta on a computer but when MSFT wants me to buy it
I'll just put Linux Mint on that computer. No need to waste a hundred
bucks.

I feel like doing that (with Win 8 too), but will probably end up buying
it, since I'll be expected to help someone else use Win10 (It has
already happened with Win8).

[snip]

Win10 is free for anybody on 7 or 8.1, even those using the Win10
preview. What is the $100 for?

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-24 12:21 PM, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
Op 24-06-15 om 17:18 schreef Tomas:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:13 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

snip
The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows
models.
They chose the Windows models.

I bought one (HP) with Windows because it was cheaper and had better specs.
Then made it useful by wiping this Windows and installing Linux.
Now six years later it is still in use as a mini media server with
Spotify and KRadio.

"Made it useful." Honestly though, I have to admit that for netbooks at
least, Linux runs a lot better than Windows. I recently renewed the life
of a co-worker's Windows netbook (which was ridiculously slow) by
installing Lubuntu on it. It caused her a couple of problems since then
(Linux is good at that) but it is still technically functional.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:10:13 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:49 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts
Gave us:

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98 percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

There is a new TV series where Linux is used and directly mentioned.

Barney and Friends isn't new.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144701/

--
™– ™˜ ™— ™• ™” ™— ™˜ ™–

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?

You post this to alt.home.repair, and YOU call us KOOKS!!!!

What a moron!

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Marti van Lin wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Op 24-06-15 om 18:22 schreef Dirk T. Verbeek:

Op 24-06-15 om 17:30 schreef Slimer:

The one thing *I* would like is for them to stop lying about Linux and
start telling the truth, for once.

Yeah, you ARE in need of truth

It is crystal clear to me, that "Slimer" is the troll, formally known as
"Hadron"

Why bother giving a name to each fecal bolus that you encounter? :-*

--
The perfect man is the true partner. Not a bed partner nor a fun partner,
but a man who will shoulder burdens equally with [you] and possess that
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 09:18 AM, Tomas wrote:
You have a God given talent for completely missing the point.
The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows
models.
They chose the Windows models.

I could give a big rat's ass what Joe Sixpack chooses. He probably shops
at Walmart and lives on Big Macs and Rolling Rock too.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 10:21 AM, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
I bought one (HP) with Windows because it was cheaper and had better specs.
Then made it useful by wiping this Windows and installing Linux.
Now six years later it is still in use as a mini media server with
Spotify and KRadio.

I recently bought a Dell with windows 7 for similar reasons. Someday
I'll have to boot into Windows and see if it still works. According to
uptime it hasn't seen the light of day for 96 days...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 11:59 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I feel like doing that (with Win 8 too), but will probably end up buying
it, since I'll be expected to help someone else use Win10 (It has
already happened with Win8).

We've already told our clients 'do NOT upgrade to 10 or you're on your
own.' We'll support it eventually but so far the fast track builds have
been too much of a moving target to even waste QA's time. MS has
committed to the end of July to try to steal a little thunder from Apple
but I'd wait for a couple of service packs or whatever the equivalent
under their new constant patching scheme is.

Cynically, the Enterprise versions will not have the constant update.
After the consumer versions have survived the patches for a while
enterprise users can apply them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 12:15 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Win10 is free for anybody on 7 or 8.1, even those using the Win10
preview. What is the $100 for?

In the best MS tradition, they have managed to completely cloud that
deal. The last take was a free upgrade IF you're starting from an
authorized version not if you've installed the preview on a bare metal
box. Also, you'll need to connect up to the Windows Account you used to
install the preview.

That's for consumers. They've been a little sly about enterprise licensing.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 24/06/2015 15:10, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:49 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts
Gave us:

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

There is a new TV series where Linux is used and directly mentioned.

Show me a TV series where Windows is touted as anything other than a
vulnerable POS not ever ready for any business to use, unless they want
to be hacked in the first week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/

It used to be that all TV/Movie computers were Apples (and even invading
alien armadas used Apples OS).

Windows seems to have caught on late that product placement is a good
thing (and no doubt their marketing department will try to claim that
they invented it) and have appeared in Hawaii 5-0 (in a major role as
the table top surface machine), How I met your mother, Mentalist, I
think Bones...

Although other than laptops the logo seems to only appear on the back of
a monitor which is not very subtle product placement.

Andy

Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:44:31 +0100, AndyW Gave us:

[...]

This was not "product placement". This is mentioned specifically by
cast members and is what those members "use" to perform security
operations/hacking jobs.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 25/06/2015 09:50, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
This was not "product placement". This is mentioned specifically by
cast members and is what those members "use" to perform security
operations/hacking jobs.

Ah. Gotcha.
Other than silicon Valley and Drop and Catch Fire I can't recall a
single mention (and D&CF is DOS and not windows).
I can't even recall a specific mention of Apple either although unix
gets a mention in Jurassic Park by the young girl.

Andy

Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/25/2015 02:44 AM, AndyW wrote:

Windows seems to have caught on late that product placement is a good
thing (and no doubt their marketing department will try to claim that
they invented it) and have appeared in Hawaii 5-0 (in a major role as
the table top surface machine), How I met your mother, Mentalist, I
think Bones...

The strangest product placement I've seen was in the SyFy Channel's
'Eureka'. In several scenes the Cisco logo appears on monitors and
phones. It's not like Cisco is a household word and seeing the logo is
going to cause Charlie Couchpotato to run out and buy a Linksys router.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell
Linux desktops and all ave failed.
Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and
yet when Windows versions were released months later
the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet?
Linux is like typhoid.
Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98
percent of society.
Stop making asses of yourselves.

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now.
Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.

To me, Linux is like personal computing in the early days where only computer geeks messed with PC's and most people had no idea how to use one. Personally, I see it as fun to be able to modify an operating system so the software will do what you want it to do. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle CPU Monster

Modifying OS or applications? Two different thing for sure.
Again procedure and process is two different thing. Ever
imagined we have only Linux? No Windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
[...]

In the future humans will all be controlled by wireless implants inside their skulls. Skynet will write all the software used to enslave humans. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Terminator Monster