Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Why Linux Sucks. From A Layperson.

In article , Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
I'm an ordinary Jack

Nope. You are a troll. Thanks for playing.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

I'm an ordinary Jack and my opinion is that Linux
sucks.
Why?
Too many different Linux(s).
Example:
I subscribe to a provider that offers free VPN
services so as to limit the data sent to NSA. Not
perfect but better than nothing at all.

Under Windows?
Download the program, click on a map of the world
and you are there.

Linux?

You have to enter 10 different commands, go to
places that don't exist on your distribution and
basically figure out for yourself how to set things
up.

It's a total mess and I've never got it working.
I'm sure it might work with Ubuntu but I use
LinuxMint and it fails.

Too many different distributions of Linux.

Source code?
Who gives a ****?
Maybe Bank Of Scotland writing their own code and
programs but me as Jack desktop? I don't care.
Neither do most people using Linux.
Theoretically Linux wins this battle but in practice
who really cares?
If there is a feature I would like I email the
company who wrote the particular program. If they
like my idea, maybe it will become reality. If not,
it won't. As a non-programmer, having the source
doesn't change that FOR ME.

Linux applications suck.
They do.
Live with it.

I plug my Samsung Galaxy S6 in and I get some
cryptic dialog box asking me to mount things.
Huh?

Plugging my Gen5 iPod Classic in does nothing.

Both under Windows work fine. And if I choose I can
manage the file system manually but why on earth
would I want to do that?
So Windows gives me options and Linux does not.

Hardware.
My printer (Brother) took 1/2 a day to install under
Linux.
With Windows 8.1 I did nothing other than plug it
in.
Oh, and with Linux I can't select ink saver or other
features.

It just goes on and on.

Personally I would love to see Linux offer some
decent competition to Windows but I simply can't see
it ever happening.
And if reading the messages that have been xposted
to alt.home.repair is any indication of a Linux
coupe in the near future, you boys are dead before
you even start.

My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.
It's kind of like building your own airplane.

Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:56:07 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts
Gave us:

I subscribe to a provider that offers free VPN
services so as to limit the data sent to NSA. Not
perfect but better than nothing at all.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you will actually believe
your own bull****.

Nice try re-spin retard. You are not fooling anyone, dumb****.

Teacher my ass. You are a bigger sucker than Stanley Tweedle.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
I'm an ordinary Jack and my opinion is that Linux
sucks.
Why?
Too many different Linux(s).
Example:
I subscribe to a provider that offers free VPN
services so as to limit the data sent to NSA. Not
perfect but better than nothing at all.

Under Windows?
Download the program, click on a map of the world
and you are there.

So?
Will this work for Windows XP, 7, Vista and Windows 8?
Are you sure it will?

Linux?

A kernel developed by Linus Torvalds.

You have to enter 10 different commands, go to
places that don't exist on your distribution and
basically figure out for yourself how to set things
up.

Did you contact your provider?
If not, what are you waiting for?

It's a total mess and I've never got it working.
I'm sure it might work with Ubuntu but I use
LinuxMint and it fails.

I find that difficult to believe seeing as Linuxmint is a fork of
Ubuntu and most of the basics are exactly the same.

Too many different distributions of Linux.

No.
Too many people willing to do the research.

Newegg offers probably at least 100 different power supplies for home
built systems.
You need to do the research to pick the one that is best for your needs.

Source code?
Who gives a ****?

Big companies do, but I do see your point. For the typical end user
it's not a deal maker/breaker.

As for big companies, something like the NASDAQ which runs Linux is
certainly interested in source code. It's not like they are taking
an application out of the RPM database and using it as is.

Maybe Bank Of Scotland writing their own code and
programs but me as Jack desktop? I don't care.

You might not but that doesn't mean BOS doesn't care.

Neither do most people using Linux.

Probably true but that doesn't minimize the point.

Theoretically Linux wins this battle but in practice
who really cares?

A lot of people in companies who have programming staff who tweak these
applications to suit their needs.

PIXAR and Disney are two that come to mind.

If there is a feature I would like I email the
company who wrote the particular program. If they
like my idea, maybe it will become reality. If not,
it won't. As a non-programmer, having the source
doesn't change that FOR ME.

That's a fair statement but one can also cite that if you get turned
down in the closed software world that's the end of the line. At least
in the open software world you can dig further to present your case.

Linux applications suck.

Some do. Some don't.
Like all software.

They do.
Live with it.

If Linux doesn't work for you, use something else.
Simple.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 05:56 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.
It's kind of like building your own airplane.

I agree completely. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the
porch. Of course, your skills won't be worth much as the 21st century
progresses.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 7:56 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
I'm an ordinary Jack and my opinion is that Linux
sucks.
Why?
Too many different Linux(s).
Example:
I subscribe to a provider that offers free VPN
services so as to limit the data sent to NSA. Not
perfect but better than nothing at all.

Under Windows?
Download the program, click on a map of the world
and you are there.

Linux?

You have to enter 10 different commands, go to
places that don't exist on your distribution and
basically figure out for yourself how to set things
up.

It's a total mess and I've never got it working.
I'm sure it might work with Ubuntu but I use
LinuxMint and it fails.

That's not even slightly surprising. For my illuminated keyboard to
function under Linux, I would need to use a series of CLI commands to do
something Windows does automatically. Switching from the Intel HD GPU to
the GeForce 970M on Linux? Impossible. You can only switch from within
Windows.

Too many different distributions of Linux.

Agreed.

Source code?
Who gives a ****?

It's good if you're wondering how a program works. Otherwise, it's quite
useless.

Maybe Bank Of Scotland writing their own code and
programs but me as Jack desktop? I don't care.
Neither do most people using Linux.
Theoretically Linux wins this battle but in practice
who really cares?
If there is a feature I would like I email the
company who wrote the particular program. If they
like my idea, maybe it will become reality. If not,
it won't. As a non-programmer, having the source
doesn't change that FOR ME.

That's what most people do and frankly it allows you to create a sort of
bond with the application creator. If you've paid for the software, they
appreciate your business and tend to provide you with decent customer
service if you're looking for help and appreciation if you're suggesting
a decent feature. Linux developers are generally available to
communicate with on IRC, but most of the time they're bitter pricks like
Peter der Klöwn who'll treat you like **** no matter how nice you are to
them.

Linux applications suck.
They do.
Live with it.

Not _one_ decent music management program exists in Linux. Not _one_ .
Amarok comes close, but it has the worst interface I've ever seen and
therefore shouldn't be used.

I plug my Samsung Galaxy S6 in and I get some
cryptic dialog box asking me to mount things.
Huh?

Plugging my Gen5 iPod Classic in does nothing.

Both under Windows work fine. And if I choose I can
manage the file system manually but why on earth
would I want to do that?
So Windows gives me options and Linux does not.

My Windows Phone works beautifully in Windows as expected, as did my
Blackberry and my iPhone. Not one phone refused to work. In Linux, the
Blackberry would only work if you mounted is as a USB drive. Otherwise,
none of its features were enabled.

Hardware.
My printer (Brother) took 1/2 a day to install under
Linux.
With Windows 8.1 I did nothing other than plug it
in.
Oh, and with Linux I can't select ink saver or other
features.

Generally, Linux will support your printer just by plugging it in. Of
course, it doesn't support every model. Windows generally won't support
it out of the box, but you know that drivers are most likely available.
It also allows you to use _all_ of its features whereas Linux will
usually only allow you to print.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 11:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/23/2015 05:56 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.
It's kind of like building your own airplane.

I agree completely. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the
porch. Of course, your skills won't be worth much as the 21st century
progresses.

The only thing "big" about the stinkbombs who use Linux are their
bellies. They _are_ dogs though, and smell much like them.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Scurvy McRicketts wrote:

My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.

I could not agree more. Why, then, don't you just vanish and go play
with your computer toy? We would /ALL/ be much better off for it.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:36:17 -0600
rbowman wrote:

On 06/23/2015 05:56 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.
It's kind of like building your own airplane.

I agree completely. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the
porch. Of course, your skills won't be worth much as the 21st century
progresses.

+1 If he can't keep up when will he find the time to catch up?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

On 06/23/2015 05:56 PM, Scurvy McRicketts wrote:
My conclusion is Linux is a system that should be
avoided for all but the most hardcore of computer
users.
It's kind of like building your own airplane.

I agree completely. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the
porch. Of course, your skills won't be worth much as the 21st century
progresses.

That is if we make it through this century of course. Things aren't looking
very promising econmically wise.