Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell wifi thermostats

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it is
and how to install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 10:10:47 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it is
and how to install.

I have a VisionPro, not wifi, so can't help with the wifi part,
but if you have the wifi version of the VP, it should have similar
thermostat operation characteristics and if you have a question on
that part, I might be able to help.

I've been very happy with the VP, have had a couple of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 10:10:47 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it
is
and how to install.

I have a VisionPro, not wifi, so can't help with the wifi part,
but if you have the wifi version of the VP, it should have similar
thermostat operation characteristics and if you have a question on
that part, I might be able to help.

I've been very happy with the VP, have had a couple of them.

thanks, but it is the wifi that is now a bit troublesome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 07:10:43 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it is
and how to install.

Because that's all you need to know. It's so great. I'm surprised they
give installation instructions because it's great whether it's installed
or not.

But you should ask your questions in the first post or as soon as
possible. People get bored with threads very quickly and may not stick
around to read the questions. Not only that, forumulating the question
for other people maybe be enough that you can answer it yourself. It
certainly helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it
is
and how to install.

Because that's all you need to know. It's so great. I'm surprised they
give installation instructions because it's great whether it's installed
or not.

But you should ask your questions in the first post or as soon as
possible. People get bored with threads very quickly and may not stick
around to read the questions. Not only that, forumulating the question
for other people maybe be enough that you can answer it yourself. It
certainly helps.

So, your answer is: no. Go back to sleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:
Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it is
and how to install.

Hi,
I have a Redlink gateway on my wireless 'stat. Only thing I don't like
is you have to use Honeywell server by registering your device. My
daughter's cabin has Ecobee and she like it very much. I just check
my home some times from work. We have a dog alone at home some days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
taxed and spent wrote:
Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it
is
and how to install.

Hi,
I have a Redlink gateway on my wireless 'stat. Only thing I don't like is
you have to use Honeywell server by registering your device. My
daughter's cabin has Ecobee and she like it very much. I just check
my home some times from work. We have a dog alone at home some days.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Ecobee, and the Redlink sounds like overkill for
this application.

The owner has the RTH6580WF thermostat.

It is installed in a mountain house, and it was installed and working well
for about two months.

Now the owner frequently gets "system cannot connect to thermostat" or some
such message. Later, it will work fine. However, I have tried several
times when the message appears to use the internet portal (not the app) to
change a system setting (the error message says system settings cannot be
changed when the connection is lost). Each time it takes a bit, but changes
the system setting and the error message goes away. So, I am able to FORCE
a wifi connection when the thermostat has lost the wifi connection - so far
without exception.

Obviously, this is a PITA, and owner wants a constant wifi connection to the
thermostat so it can be monitored via the app and alert messages received as
needed.

Any thoughts? A trip to the house is planned in a week or so. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:08:31 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

As I understand it, Sweat and the other guy who escaped from Dannemora
will be staying at the house for the next 3 weeks. They will make sure
the pipes don't freeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

Your nap time is not over. Go back to sleep. You know how cranky you get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:37:32 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Did you try calling up Honeywell support and asking them?
I believe that thermostat is one of their products that are
sold retail, so they should answer questions. On the VisionPro,
if you want to ask anything about installation, how to change
parameters, etc they tell you to go stuff yourself. You're
supposed to call one of the guys with a butt crack that charges
$100+ to come over and do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:37:32 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Did you try calling up Honeywell support and asking them?
I believe that thermostat is one of their products that are
sold retail, so they should answer questions. On the VisionPro,
if you want to ask anything about installation, how to change
parameters, etc they tell you to go stuff yourself. You're
supposed to call one of the guys with a butt crack that charges
$100+ to come over and do it.

I have an e-mail in to them. I have not called yet, but a number of reviews
do not give high marks to their telephone service. I am hoping an e-mail
might get routed to a person who can answer it correctly. Fingers crossed,
but I may end up calling at some point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 3:46:40 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:37:32 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Did you try calling up Honeywell support and asking them?
I believe that thermostat is one of their products that are
sold retail, so they should answer questions. On the VisionPro,
if you want to ask anything about installation, how to change
parameters, etc they tell you to go stuff yourself. You're
supposed to call one of the guys with a butt crack that charges
$100+ to come over and do it.

I have an e-mail in to them. I have not called yet, but a number of reviews
do not give high marks to their telephone service. I am hoping an e-mail
might get routed to a person who can answer it correctly. Fingers crossed,
but I may end up calling at some point.

What's the rest of the wifi setup at the house look like?
Wireless router connected to cable? Confident that part of
it is working normally with other devices?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

yep, pretty simple wifi set up. Never had a problem with other devices, but
none are on line right now to check remotely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

Her acreage/cabin is in a small hamlet just outside Banff national park.
The first winter after getting installed Ecobee, she
got an alarm on her iPhone. Furnace had trouble, room temp. was
dropping. She called caretaker of the hamlet, he called tech. out of
Banff, found HSI burnt out. He charged only ~150.00 including parts,
trip, labor. I thought that was good. She works at Banff Hot spring
hospital and clinic when she has some spare time. Maybe that's why(?).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe set up QoS to give higher priority for the Redlink? Try different
DNS after download/running namebench. Some times it is possible to find
better/faster DNS than one given by ISP as default. Use ping command to
see if there is too much lag. My Redlink box is near the router. Make
sure WiFi channel has minimum interference(overlap with neighbor's
signal) You can survey neighbor's WiFi running Acrylic or inSSIDer
utility.(Acrylic is free, older inSSIDer is free but won't see 5GHz)

Posted to alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:37:32 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Did you try calling up Honeywell support and asking them?
I believe that thermostat is one of their products that are
sold retail, so they should answer questions. On the VisionPro,
if you want to ask anything about installation, how to change
parameters, etc they tell you to go stuff yourself. You're
supposed to call one of the guys with a butt crack that charges
$100+ to come over and do it.

I have an e-mail in to them. I have not called yet, but a number of reviews
do not give high marks to their telephone service. I am hoping an e-mail
might get routed to a person who can answer it correctly. Fingers crossed,
but I may end up calling at some point.

Once I emailed some specific install question and got the reply next
day. Maybe I id'd myself as Honeywell retiree? Often I go into local
office and there are still guys who recognize me who gives me what I
need if it is small stuff free. All user/install PDF is downloadable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

good ideas. I was thinking about ping test, and checking on what channel
neighbors are on would be good to do for all use at the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Now there is some movement going in condo, apartment block neighbors to
get together and coordinate their WiFi situation to minimize
QRM(interference) for mutual benefit. 5GHz band is still less crowded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
taxed and spent wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

I have seen that in a condo in Hawaii, but not among neighboring SFDs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to taxed and spent , Sid in Sacramento wrote:
pleasedonot wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it

is
and how to install.

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Posted to alt.home.repair

pleasedonot wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might
answer post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how
great it

is
and how to install.

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Of course. We can monitor visually our house if you have surveillance
cameras using ddns and app.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2015 8:44 PM, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Why would you have to turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii? I never
had the need to adjust anything while away. I can see it for monitoring
freezing though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

roups.com...
pleasedonot wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it

is
and how to install.

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

yep, done all that and it has been working fine for a couple months. Now it
frequently shows "unable to make connection". Have you ever experienced
that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 9:00:53 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/23/2015 8:44 PM, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Why would you have to turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii? I never
had the need to adjust anything while away. I can see it for monitoring
freezing though.

You'd need to turn the heat off or down if you forgot to do
so or can't remember if you did before you left the house.
Also, you can have the system resume and have the house at
normal temp by using your phone on the way home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

!
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Why would you have to turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii? I never
had the need to adjust anything while away. I can see it for monitoring
freezing though.

If there is no danger of freezing, why would you heat your empty house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 02:29:35 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/23/2015 8:44 PM, Sid in Sacramento wrote:

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great,
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii
!
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

Why would you have to turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii? I never
had the need to adjust anything while away. I can see it for monitoring
freezing though.

If there is no danger of freezing, why would you heat your empty house?

You wouldn't. But if there was, you can check that the heat is
working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"taxed and spent" wrote:

roups.com...
pleasedonot wrote:

Anyone have any experience? I cannot find a user forum that might answer
post installation questions, and Honeywell's site just says how great it

is
and how to install.

I have a Honeywell T stat. You have to register it and create a user
profile, and it has to connect with your home wifi system. It is great, I
can check the settings, and even turn it off while vacationing in Hawaii !
You can control it from your Smartphone, just look for the Honeywell app,
at the app store

yep, done all that and it has been working fine for a couple months. Now it
frequently shows "unable to make connection". Have you ever experienced
that?

Occasionally. That is usually a Wifi or modem connection issue than one
with the thermostat, though.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If there is no danger of freezing, why would you heat your empty house?

You wouldn't. But if there was, you can check that the heat is
working.

Or if you are traveling during the summer, you'd want the house cooled
before you got back, but not during the time you were gone.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein