Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell Thermostats that don't click, but are programmable?

In my home the AC system uses a Honeywell TH8110U Touch Screen
Programmable Thermostat. It works fine, but it making a clicking sound
each time it turns on (and off) which is very annoying.

I called Honeywell support for home owners and the support person
explained to me that the clicking sound was normal and almost all of
their programmable thermostats by Honeywell have that click because of
the relay used. He said of those that are programmable that don't have
a click are the Honeywell Magic Stat (models T8112, T8132, T8131), but
they don't have a touch screen and can't be used to switch between
heating and cooling. For now, the heating has its on old analog(?)
thermostat, so that isn't a real concern. I guess worse case, next
winter I will have the one for the heating replaced if it can't be on
the same thermostat as the AC.

Has anyone experiened this clicking problem with the Honeywell
programmable thermostats and replaced it with one of these Magic Stat
models? If so, did this fix the problem? Also, if anyone is using one
of these Magic Stat models does it trully make no click, no noise at
all? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

Hi,
That sound is coming from tiny micro size PCB mounted relay.
In my case our thermostat is away in a hallway from family room.
Bedrooms are upstairs, so it does not bother us.
Magic 'stat is older amalog stuff which I would not choose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The click has to go! It is very annoying. It's right outside my office
in the hall and it can be heard through the rest of the house. In my
previous house, there was a programmable one installed sold by Radio
Shack which wasn't expensive and it made no sound at all.

If the unit turns on and off when it should, doesn't make a sound, what
other quality issues can there be? A touch-screen is nice, but not at
the expense of it distracting me while working, having diner, reading
or watching TV.

wrote:
Id stick with the click!

There are worse models (my Robertshaw t-stats make *2* clicks when
running the AC), but the alternative is less quality (I thought I read
that lower quality t-stats dont use decent quality relays, which makes
the click quieter or inaudible, but also makes the t-stat much lesser
quality).

Where is the t-stat located that its bothersome? We have 2 stats in
our house, both located in hallways (so the sound even echoes) but we
dont find it offensive. Our Robertshaw t-stats click quieter than the
Honeywells I used to have, and they are still good thermostats. Maybe
you can look into replacing your Honeywell, but Ive heard nothing but
good things about the Honeywell touchscreens (Vision Pro, I believe is
the model).

-Chris

eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Honeywell doesn't click! Maybe you need to
switch to a cheaper model, I think mine is $40-50
and last time I check Lowes had about the same
model.
As far as click from the relay, my thermostat has
no relay just solid state components, it uses the
one in the furnace/AC. The old non-electronic
kind did click because the bimetal spring made the
contacts snap together (not a relay tho).