Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drilling foundation for condensate line.

My split system 's air handler is located in my crawl space. I have been thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the foundation to run a pvc line out for a condensate drain. The hole would need to be below the dirt level outside. I would burry the pipe and run it down hill to daylight at my driveway. Would this be a problem or would frilling a hole underground cause moisture/water problems?

Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/15/2015 8:45 AM, wrote:
My split system 's air handler is located in my crawl space. I have
been thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the foundation to run a
pvc line out for a condensate drain. The hole would need to be below the
dirt level outside. I would burry the pipe and run it down hill to
daylight at my driveway. Would this be a problem or would frilling a
hole underground cause moisture/water problems?

Not necessarily, but it's always going to end up as a "weak link" as a
potential entry point as any sealant has a possibility of a failure.
The level of risk depends heavily upon overall drainage and the amount
of water/rainfall one has in an area and the like of which we "know
nuthink!" from the posting so no way to judge.

One way this is done routinely is via a condensate pump to raise the
level and then the the exit line can be above grade and buried if
desired. The main unit here is in the basement and is so equipped altho
it just goes down a drain it travels overhead to get there. Been that
way for 35+ yr now with no problems. We put in a new system a few years
ago as an efficiency upgrade (primarily on the furnace side) and out of
general principles put in a new condensate pump altho the original was
still running fine and no indications it wouldn't have continued
indefinitely but figured after 30 yr or so it deserved a rest...just as
an indication of reliability.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My split system 's air handler is located in my crawl space. I have been thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the foundation to run a pvc line out for a condensate drain. The hole would need to be below the dirt level outside. I would burry the pipe and run it down hill to daylight at my driveway. Would this be a problem or would frilling a hole underground cause moisture/water problems?

Thanks,

I would be a little concerned about what might crawl up the pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My split system 's air handler is located in my crawl space. I have been thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the foundation to run a pvc line out for a condensate drain. The hole would need to be below the dirt level outside. I would burry the pipe and run it down hill to daylight at my driveway. Would this be a problem or would frilling a hole underground cause moisture/water problems?

Thanks,

Agree with dpb...I have seen these in operation (14 yrs at work) without a problem) http://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-Gi...gq8aAhLE8P8HAQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Condensate pumps have advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage
is that it's a pump and pumps that cycle a lot don't last. I

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/15/2015 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Condensate pumps have advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage
is that it's a pump and pumps that cycle a lot don't last. I
just had a Little Giant that was 3 years old crap out ...

Well, as said, the one that we replaced just on general principles when
replaced the furnaces was 30+ and still going strong...I forget the
brand; it was supplied by the HVAC contractor though, not just some box
store throwaway. I have every expectation the one there now will be
there after I'm gone...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/15/2015 9:33 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My split system 's air handler is located in my crawl space. I have been thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the foundation to run a pvc line out for a condensate drain. The hole would need to be below the dirt level outside. I would burry the pipe and run it down hill to daylight at my driveway. Would this be a problem or would frilling a hole underground cause moisture/water problems?

Thanks,

Agree with dpb...I have seen these in operation (14 yrs at work) without a problem) http://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-Gi...gq8aAhLE8P8HAQ

Tho I was going to note that the very same basement drain that the
condensate above goes out of _does_ penetrate the basement wall below
grade (as well as do electric and water service entrances) so there's no
real gain regarding penetrations here on that regard...

Then again, it doesn't rain a tremendous amount here and with reasonable
drainage water has never been an issue in the basement. Couldn't say
that for some other places I've lived or necessarily for everywhere...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 4:37:50 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

i ran the condensate line to the sanitary sewer alongside the washing machine drain hose.

that passed TWOhome inspections and the community sewer inspection.

probably easier to use pump to a convenient sewer connection

mine goes in the washtub
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:26:39 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/15/2015 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Condensate pumps have advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage
is that it's a pump and pumps that cycle a lot don't last. I
just had a Little Giant that was 3 years old crap out ...

Well, as said, the one that we replaced just on general principles when
replaced the furnaces was 30+ and still going strong...I forget the
brand; it was supplied by the HVAC contractor though, not just some box
store throwaway. I have every expectation the one there now will be
there after I'm gone...

--

I hope you're right. But Little Giant isn't a throw away, AFAIK either.
From all that I see, they are one of the major manufacturers. A lot of

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/15/2015 5:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:26:39 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/15/2015 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Condensate pumps have advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage
is that it's a pump and pumps that cycle a lot don't last. I
just had a Little Giant that was 3 years old crap out ...

Well, as said, the one that we replaced just on general principles when
replaced the furnaces was 30+ and still going strong...I forget the
brand; it was supplied by the HVAC contractor though, not just some box
store throwaway. I have every expectation the one there now will be
there after I'm gone...

--

I hope you're right. But Little Giant isn't a throw away, AFAIK either.
From all that I see, they are one of the major manufacturers. A lot of
stuff that lasted 30+ years, doesn't last if you buy it new today.

Well, I guess if it goes, I'll just put the other one back; it's sitting
in the back room in a box...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 5:26:42 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:26:39 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/15/2015 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Condensate pumps have advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage
is that it's a pump and pumps that cycle a lot don't last. I
just had a Little Giant that was 3 years old crap out ...

Well, as said, the one that we replaced just on general principles when
replaced the furnaces was 30+ and still going strong...I forget the
brand; it was supplied by the HVAC contractor though, not just some box
store throwaway. I have every expectation the one there now will be
there after I'm gone...

--

I hope you're right. But Little Giant isn't a throw away, AFAIK either.
From all that I see, they are one of the major manufacturers. A lot of
stuff that lasted 30+ years, doesn't last if you buy it new today.
HVAC equipment itself is a good example. See my thread about the 4 year old
condenser fan that just died on mine. Old one, 25 years old, like
your condensate pump, was still working when it was hauled away.

When I serviced HVAC systems, it was the newer equipment with electronic controls that would fail more often due to power surges. When me and the guys I shared work with started installing hard wired surge arresters right on the HVAC equipment where the power is connected, that simple modification even worked to protect the capacitors in the older equipment that had no electronics. If manufacturers would install surge arresters at the factory, warranty claims could drop. Of course if the factory could obtain a good surge arrester for $10.00, the bean counters would look at it like an extra 10 million dollars in cost to produce a million units and the warranty claims are probably much less of an expense than that for the manufacturer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:53:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
What is a hard wired surge arrestor?

Some examples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Secti...?section=39663

They range from smaller ones that can be used on a particular
piece of equipment, like an HVAC unit, to whole house types
that go at the panel. And you can use both, for increased
protection. Almost all modern electronics also has surge
protection built into it too. The issue is that it's not
nearly as robust as the larger capacity devices you can buy
separately and if one is going to take a hit, would you
rather it be in the $30 external one or the one that's
on a circuit board in an expensive piece of equipment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:11:30 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:53:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
What is a hard wired surge arrestor?

Some examples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Secti...?section=39663

They range from smaller ones that can be used on a particular
piece of equipment, like an HVAC unit, to whole house types
that go at the panel. And you can use both, for increased
protection. Almost all modern electronics also has surge
protection built into it too. The issue is that it's not
nearly as robust as the larger capacity devices you can buy
separately and if one is going to take a hit, would you
rather it be in the $30 external one or the one that's
on a circuit board in an expensive piece of equipment?

I used the Square D models which seemed to hold up very well when installing them on the condensing units and air handlers. I'd recommend that the customer contact the power company to get them to install meter socket surge arrester. The power company charged just a few dollars a month for the protection and covered damage to a customer's electrical and electronic devices. 8-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pjpqh2c

http://preview.tinyurl.com/om324ng

[8~{} Uncle Zap Monster