Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why won't A/C Fan turn off. Fire Hazard?

Central A/C fan won't turn off even after desired temp is reached. Have to
flip circuit-breaker to stop.
Will A/C unit overheat and cause fire?
John C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

How old is your system? Many newer AC/heat pump systems have an ECM fan motor in the air handler/furnace and the Electronically Controlled Motor is a variable speed motor which is supposed to run at a very low speed all the time when your thermostat is turned on to heat or cool. The fan speed will ramp up slowly when your thermostat calls for heat or cool then the fan speed will drop back down to a very low speed when the desired temperature is reached. When I first encountered one of these systems, I thought something was wrong until I contacted the manufacturer's rep and asked him about it.

If you have a system with the older design two speed fan motor which won't turn off at the thermostat, the wires behind the thermostat can be shorted circuited because the wires were improperly folded up behind the thermostat when it was installed. There could also be a defective fan relay in your furnace. The simplest explanation can be that your fan is switched to the "On" position instead of "Auto". If the fan switch is switched to the "Off" position on your thermostat and the blower continues to run, you have another problem. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster