Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bumble (and other) bees under ground

I think these are bumble bees on our patio. I dropped my Mom then was screaming to let me get her up because they were starting to swarm. They've been bumping against our windows for an hour. They're very aggressive and my Mom likes to go out so please tree huggers don't answer me. I don't want my elderly mother stung or myself. These need to die NOW! What do I do? I think they're living in our cracked cement patio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 5:28:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think these are bumble bees on our patio. I dropped my Mom then was screaming to let me get her up because they were starting to swarm. They've been bumping against our windows for an hour. They're very aggressive and my Mom likes to go out so please tree huggers don't answer me. I don't want my elderly mother stung or myself. These need to die NOW! What do I do? I think they're living in our cracked cement patio.

I wonder if the OP's bees are still around after 13 years? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bee Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

the ground wasps are nasty......

one of my bad lifetime experiences

my dryer vent is in the back and got damaged by careless mower operator.. the vent comes out near ground level.

so i decided to replace it, had disconnected it inside went outside, sat on grass and started pulling it out it was all mangled.

when i found ouch, i got stung a lot. i had sat on a ground wasp nest.......

I took benadryl to prevent a bbad allergic reaction. came out later and probed the area with a long board, which i left laying at the entrance.

that night i poured gasoline into a bucket, and killed them all. no need to light the gasoline. the hyrdacarbons kill them fast.

although for about a week there were some flying around, presumably they werent home when i wiped out their nest.

a week later i replaced the dryer vent.

oh and i learned always look before sitting on grass

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 5:28:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think these are bumble bees on our patio. I dropped my Mom then was screaming to let me get her up because they were starting to swarm. They've been bumping against our windows for an hour. They're very aggressive and my Mom likes to go out so please tree huggers don't answer me. I don't want my elderly mother stung or myself. These need to die NOW! What do I do? I think they're living in our cracked cement patio.

Did they look like this? ^_^

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFile...3/80959847.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2015 3:56 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 5:28:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think these are bumble bees on our patio. I dropped my Mom then was screaming to let me get her up because they were starting to swarm. They've been bumping against our windows for an hour. They're very aggressive and my Mom likes to go out so please tree huggers don't answer me. I don't want my elderly mother stung or myself. These need to die NOW! What do I do? I think they're living in our cracked cement patio.

Did they look like this? ^_^

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFile...3/80959847.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster

When we had our backyard pool the wasps would occasionally go for a
drink of water and get stuck floating in the water. I got stung on my
collar bone because I didn't see it floating in the water and it tried
to use me to save itself. When I flinched, it stung me about 4 times
and then flew off! It felt like someone had shot me, it hurt so badly.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-15, Vandy Terre vandy wrote:

We used small amounts of expanding insulation to
fill in opens and cavities where stinging insects
like to nest on the sides of the house.

Would you please be more specific? Sounds like something I could
use.

I've been using Raid foggers (org) and Raid Hornet/Wasp Spray. The
Raid spray works, unlike that green Walmart junk, which jes annoys the
wasps before they shake it off and fly away.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2015 8:44 PM, bob haller wrote:
the ground wasps are nasty......

one of my bad lifetime experiences

my dryer vent is in the back and got damaged by careless mower operator.. the vent comes out near ground level.

so i decided to replace it, had disconnected it inside went outside, sat on grass and started pulling it out it was all mangled.

when i found ouch, i got stung a lot. i had sat on a ground wasp nest.......

I took benadryl to prevent a bbad allergic reaction. came out later and probed the area with a long board, which i left laying at the entrance.

that night i poured gasoline into a bucket, and killed them all. no need to light the gasoline. the hyrdacarbons kill them fast.

although for about a week there were some flying around, presumably they werent home when i wiped out their nest.

a week later i replaced the dryer vent.

oh and i learned always look before sitting on grass

I had one sting me on my finger at our swim club and they had nothing to
put on it or take.

My finger was swollen by the time we got home and next day the whole
hand was swollen.

By the time I got to my doctor my wrist was swollen. It was like the
sting was going to overwhelm my whole body.

Doc gave me prednisone and antibiotic.

Now I always carry benadryl and have been stung since with only minor
swelling.

Still the wasp spray knocks them down or they do not sting and I find it
OK to spray any time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2015 4:56 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 5:28:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think these are bumble bees on our patio. I dropped my Mom then was screaming to let me get her up because they were starting to swarm. They've been bumping against our windows for an hour. They're very aggressive and my Mom likes to go out so please tree huggers don't answer me. I don't want my elderly mother stung or myself. These need to die NOW! What do I do? I think they're living in our cracked cement patio.

Did they look like this? ^_^

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFile...3/80959847.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster

Yellow jacket wasps are often mistaken for bees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket

They like fruit and you better keep your beer covered when they are
around. My wife swigged one in a glass of wine once and it stung her
tongue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/15/2015 04:44 PM, Frank wrote:
Yellow jacket wasps are often mistaken for bees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket

There isn't much similarity other than they both have wings...

They like fruit and you better keep your beer covered when they are
around. My wife swigged one in a glass of wine once and it stung her
tongue.

They'll eat meat too. I've shared supper with them a few times, being
mindful of where the wasp is before I take the next mouthful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-15, Vandy Terre vandy wrote:

We used small amounts of expanding insulation to
fill in opens and cavities where stinging insects
like to nest on the sides of the house.

Would you please be more specific? Sounds like something I could
use.

I've been using Raid foggers (org) and Raid Hornet/Wasp Spray. The
Raid spray works, unlike that green Walmart junk, which jes annoys the
wasps before they shake it off and fly away.

An interesting (and very desirable) side effect of the Raid Wasp &
Hornet spray...

When they re-roofed the garage and shop, they installed new air vents.
For some reason the wasps/yellow jackets never bothered to nest there
with the old ones but they sure loved the new ones. Moved cars out from
beneath the vents and gave the vents a healthy (read DRENCHING) of Raid
at sundown when the nest was full. Little *******s all died and NEVER
came back. That was about 9 years ago. The nest are still there but no
more bugs.

Seems to permanently send them off somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 16:53:21 -0500, Muggles "
wrote:

When we had our backyard pool the wasps would occasionally go for a
drink of water and get stuck floating in the water. I got stung on my
collar bone because I didn't see it floating in the water and it tried
to use me to save itself. When I flinched, it stung me about 4 times
and then flew off! It felt like someone had shot me, it hurt so badly.

It could've been worse

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-couple-finds-alligator-taking-dip-backyard-pool/story?id=23761539
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-15, Vandy Terre vandy wrote:

We used small amounts of expanding insulation to
fill in opens and cavities where stinging insects
like to nest on the sides of the house.

Would you please be more specific? Sounds like something I could
use.

I've been using Raid foggers (org) and Raid Hornet/Wasp Spray. The
Raid spray works, unlike that green Walmart junk, which jes annoys the
wasps before they shake it off and fly away.

nb

There was some junk wasp spray I bought at Walmart that just annoyed
them. I had a carpenter bee boring into a board around my garage and
spray would not kill it. Finally got it with another insecticide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When we had our backyard pool the wasps would occasionally go for a
drink of water and get stuck floating in the water. I got stung on my
collar bone because I didn't see it floating in the water and it tried
to use me to save itself. When I flinched, it stung me about 4 times
and then flew off! It felt like someone had shot me, it hurt so badly.

It could've been worse

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-couple-finds-alligator-taking-dip-backyard-pool/story?id=23761539
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi

I find it odd that gators aren't repelled by the chlorine in a swimming pool. I wonder how an alligator would react to pool shock in the water? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gator Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When we had our backyard pool the wasps would occasionally go for a
drink of water and get stuck floating in the water. I got stung on my
collar bone because I didn't see it floating in the water and it tried
to use me to save itself. When I flinched, it stung me about 4 times
and then flew off! It felt like someone had shot me, it hurt so badly.

It could've been worse

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-couple-finds-alligator-taking-dip-backyard-pool/story?id=23761539
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi

I find it odd that gators aren't repelled by the chlorine in a swimming pool. I wonder how an alligator would react to pool shock in the water? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gator Monster

"...Alligator eyes have two sets of eyelids. The outer lids are like
human eyelids. They are made of skin and close top-to-bottom. The
inner lids are clear and close back-to-front. While an alligator is
sitting about or swimming, these inner eyelids protect the alligator's
eyes and provide clearer vision in the underwater environment."

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/reptiles/alligator2.htm

And tough hides, so doubtful pool chemicals will irritate them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But they're going to get water in their mouth and nose. I suppose the nictitating membranes would protect the eyes under water but what happens when they're above water and blink? Heck, I've been irritated by chlorine in swimming pools and I'm Trans-Human. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Gator Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No. "...When swimming underwater, alligators are water tight. Flaps
close off the ears and nostrils, the inner eyelids protect the eyes
and a special flap called the palatal valve closes at the back of the
throat to keep water out of the throat, stomach and lungs. Alligators
can stay underwater for quite a while. A typical dive might last 10 to
20 minutes. In a pinch, an alligator can stay underwater for two hours
if it is at rest. And, in very cold water, an alligator can last up to
eight hours submerged." Same link as above

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/alligator-palatal-valve.jpg

Amazing creatures. They have caves under river banks, where they can
hide, even storing food.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Jun 2015 22:32:55 GMT, notbob

On 2015-06-15, Vandy Terre vandy wrote:

We used small amounts of expanding insulation to
fill in opens and cavities where stinging insects
like to nest on the sides of the house.

Would you please be more specific? Sounds like something I could
use.

Not sure what information you need. Expanding foam
insulation comes in spray can under several
different names. We just put the applicator
nozzle into the opening being used by the insects
and spray until full. This improves the wall
insulation, closes opening used by pest insects,
and smothers any insects inside the wall.

I have seen this product used to fill holes in
concrete block walls as a means to fill holes to
keep pest insects out and to improve insulation
factor.

I've been using Raid foggers (org) and Raid Hornet/Wasp Spray. The
Raid spray works, unlike that green Walmart junk, which jes annoys the
wasps before they shake it off and fly away.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2015 12:58 PM, Frank wrote:
There was some junk wasp spray I bought at Walmart that just annoyed
them. I had a carpenter bee boring into a board around my garage and
spray would not kill it. Finally got it with another insecticide.

Two or three years ago, I met some wasps that
just shrugged off any spray including the black
and white can stuff from Home Depot.

Powdered Sevin did the job.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:21:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Two or three years ago, I met some wasps that
just shrugged off any spray including the black
and white can stuff from Home Depot.

Powdered Sevin did the job.

Christopher A. Young

Be wary using any powdered insecticide. Powders
can be picked up by honeybees in place of pollen.
This can kill the entire hive. Which could mean
people going hungry from lack of crops being
pollinated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Two or three years ago, I met some wasps that
just shrugged off any spray including the black
and white can stuff from Home Depot.

Powdered Sevin did the job.

Christopher A. Young

Be wary using any powdered insecticide. Powders
can be picked up by honeybees in place of pollen.
This can kill the entire hive. Which could mean
people going hungry from lack of crops being
pollinated.

And, how would I know one way or the other? You
suggest to "be wary". I'm curious how would I
or the Facilities Management Group, know how to
do this safely? We do have farms around, though
not for several miles away from the meeting house
where I attend.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Two or three years ago, I met some wasps that
just shrugged off any spray including the black
and white can stuff from Home Depot.

Powdered Sevin did the job.

Christopher A. Young

Be wary using any powdered insecticide. Powders
can be picked up by honeybees in place of pollen.
This can kill the entire hive. Which could mean
people going hungry from lack of crops being
pollinated.

And, how would I know one way or the other? You
suggest to "be wary". I'm curious how would I
or the Facilities Management Group, know how to
do this safely? We do have farms around, though
not for several miles away from the meeting house
where I attend.

If you really feel the need to use powdered
pesticides. Do not use powdered pesticides on
flowering crops. If pesticide must be used, use
it at night. Avoid using more product than
needed.

Honey bees tend to travel about five miles from
nest. Honey bees are day time only. Which means
use of any pesticide should be at night to reduce
damage to honey bees.

Honey bees are not native to the USA. Bees were
an early import by European settlers. Native
Americans called honey bees 'White Man's Fly'.
There are other pollinators in our environment but
they do not get the job done as well as honey
bees.

Tiki torches can go a long way to reducing night
time pests like moths, mosquitoes, flies, leaf
hoppers, June bugs, fruit flies. Set tiki torch
in good support such that it can not be blown or
knock over. Use only enough fuel to burn for
about two hours. Light at full dark. Have
someone keep a watch on the torches to prevent
fire damage beyond insects death.

Bees invaded my little outdoor frog habitat (how to get rid of bees) Judy Zappacosta Home Repair 11 July 14th 10 03:58 AM
Ground bees Jim Home Repair 30 August 30th 07 10:36 PM
Bumble bees under shed problem? Mal Jackson UK diy 11 August 12th 07 12:04 AM
Bees in the ground? HomeDecoy Home Repair 97 September 25th 06 10:49 PM
Hovering Bumble Bees Bert Byfield Home Repair 18 May 14th 06 12:51 AM