Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to insulate the outside of a brick house

Thanks for looking.

I don't know if the house has an inside and an ouutside brick wall. I do konw that one side of the house has one window on it. Not having that window is OK.
The outside wall is barely visible from the street less than 20 feet from the neighbors house. The dreaded vinyl siding would be fine, few would see it.

What ways exist to insulate? Foam board? Fiberglass wool?

What about moisture inside the house migrating through the porous brick?

What important questions have I not asked?

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2015 2:34 PM, Clement Samuels wrote:
Thanks for looking.

I don't know if the house has an inside and an ouutside brick wall. I do konw that one side of the house has one window on it. Not having that window is OK.
The outside wall is barely visible from the street less than 20 feet from the neighbors house. The dreaded vinyl siding would be fine, few would see it.

What ways exist to insulate? Foam board? Fiberglass wool?

What about moisture inside the house migrating through the porous brick?

What important questions have I not asked?

Thanks again.

You can put up panels like InSoFast easily and cover with siding.
www.insofast.com

You can put strapping and foam board.

You can put up foam board like Dryvit and cover with a material that
looks like stucco.

The InSoFast web site has a lot of information and videos that can
\answer your questions. I have some inside the house on a poured
foundation and it certainly goes in fast. Wish it was available when I
did the rest instead of fiberglass and studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can not seal moisture from inside get proper contractor and seal it from
out side.
If you planning to stay there being cheap is not going help.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 6/11/2015 2:34 PM, Clement Samuels wrote:
Thanks for looking.

I don't know if the house has an inside and an outside brick wall. I do
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-4, tony944 wrote:
[...]

oil base paint on the interior is a pretty good vapor barrier. espically in a older home that has many coats of paint
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 09:28:39 -0700, "tony944" wrote:

[...]

Sealing from the outside in an area that requires heat pretty well
guarantees moisture damage and mold. The vapour barrier MUST be on the
warm side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:01:00 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

And spraying foam in around and behind electrical outlets and around
other intrusions, like plumbing, makes a BIG difference as well.