Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pole sander paper

I've been looking at pole sanders. (Manual, if there's any other
kind.) The heads are ~3" wide. This does not seem to be a standard
size - cut sheets are wider, and cutting from a full sheet would leave
a fair amount of waste.

I suspect this must make sense, but it seems screwy to me. Is there
some reason you'd want to use paper that's wider than the pad?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:59:10 -0400, wrote:

Is there some reason you'd want to use paper that's wider than the pad?

Sure. Much better than using paper to narrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I may be stupid or hopefully onlyignorant, but what is a "Pole Sander"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 11:19 PM, wrote:
I may be stupid or hopefully only ignorant, but what is a "Pole Sander"?

Dombrowski the sander man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 May 2015 20:19:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I may be stupid or hopefully onlyignorant, but what is a "Pole Sander"?

Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/q6b893f

- Pole sander
- Die cast aluminum base plate 3-1/4" x 9-1/4" with reinforced ridges
to prevent bowing
- Universal joint with low center of gravity
- Polyethylene pad
- Tuff-Lock(TM) clamp design allows several sheets of die cut
sandpaper to be held at once
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, but then how do you paint at such a distance, a pole paintroller???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 May 2015 09:02:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

OK, but then how do you paint at such a distance, a pole paintroller???

Yes. An extension pole that screws into the roller handle...

http://www.interior-design-it-yourself.com/images/how_to_paint_a_ceiling_extendable_pole_roller.jpg

Next?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, but then how do you paint at such a distance, a pole paintroller???

Yes. What do you think the thread in the end of the handle on good
paint rollers is for?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been looking at pole sanders. (Manual, if there's any other
kind.) The heads are ~3" wide. This does not seem to be a standard
size - cut sheets are wider, and cutting from a full sheet would leave
a fair amount of waste.

I suspect this must make sense, but it seems screwy to me. Is there
some reason you'd want to use paper that's wider than the pad?

Thanks.

They are generally made to use pre-cut "sand screen" There are
several sises - 4 3/16 X 11 being standard "half sheet" but 3 5/16 and
3 2/3 by 11 are more common. These are fiberglass screen sheets for
sanding drywall, and are generally cut to fit the "paper clips" on the
ends of the sanding pad. There's even a kit to run on your shop-vac
to collect all the dust, but it has, in my experience, had a serious
static electricity problem!!!

Yep. Sanding 'screens'. Available in various grits in the display with the
other drywall tools and supplies at any of the big-box stores. They are
reversible too.

My only problem is that I tend to get carried away with the coarser grits
which are extremely aggressive and plow grooves in the compound and then
have to work harder to get rid of them. Oh, and they are 'screens' so that
air passes straight through so they can be attached to sanding pads which
have a hose going to a shop vac to remove a good bit of the dust before it
gets into the air (but this only works with a good vac with high-quality
filtration).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have yet to see anyone who could tape joints in sheetrock on ceilings using a pole. So you have to have a ladder or scaffolding anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 May 2015 21:25:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have yet to see anyone who could tape joints in sheetrock on ceilings using a pole. So you have to have a ladder or scaffolding anyway.

Most of us have to, anyway. I've seen union tapers out of New York
City taping on stilts using an enormous hock and a tape banjo. Fast
and good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have yet to see anyone who could tape joints in sheetrock on ceilings using a pole. So you have to have a ladder or scaffolding anyway.

Most of us have to, anyway. I've seen union tapers out of New York
City taping on stilts using an enormous hock and a tape banjo. Fast
and good.

Has Robert seen a BAZOOKA Continuous Flow System The Ultimate Drywall
Finishing System?

Video: (ceiling corner finisher on a pole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfs32vHHku4

.... inside and outside corners

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have yet to see anyone who could tape joints in sheetrock on ceilings using a pole. So you have to have a ladder or scaffolding anyway.

Never seen a bazooka in action??Taper on stilts with a bazooka doesn't
need a scaffold or ladder. Or a Banjo.. (best idea is banjo for the
flats and bazooka for corners) With properly mixed compound and some
skill you hardly need the pole sander.