Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 4:39:30 PM UTC-5, Lee Michaels wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles
and metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the
place) so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty
and vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any
suggestions on the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

Sounds scary and dangerous. I would not recommend it. But there is a carving
disc for the mini grinder.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...rking-Kit.aspx

The capacity for this thing to grab things and throw them into your body is
probably infinite. The only way I would use anything like this if the
material was locked down into a big, secure vise. I would also wear gloves,
face protection and heavy clothing.

In some ways this is like cutting small limbs with a chain saw. The saw
grabs anything that is not solidly secured and throws it. And a certain
percentage of the time it hits you. And it hurts.

The number one rule of cutting anything small like this is to secure the
stock before cutting it. Any movement of the stock can be dangerous.

The link you provided is for the 2 inch blade which fits an accessory for a 4 inch angle grinder. Here's the link to that manufacturer's 4 inch blade:

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woo...al-woodcarver/

It's a lot of money to pay for a blade when a circular saw with carbide blade can be purchased for less money. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Search Monster