Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird Fluorescent

A friend had a fluorescent light do something strange. Here's his email:

Had to take the kitchen fluorescent light apart as one pair of the lamps
started flickering and then went out. Had a hell of a time getting them
out, as the socket was corroded and the lamps did NOT want to come out.
Put the new ones in and found the one lamp would light about 8 inches
in from each end and the rest was just a shadow. Never saw a symptom
like that before. I figured that it was the ballast, as another new
lamp did the same thing. When I got it apart, I discovered the wires
just push in to the socket and seemed loose, but there was no release .
The harder I pulled, the looser they got, but would not come out.
Then I put the sockets on the lamps with the whole mess hanging by the
wires. Everything worked fine, so I twisted the wires together to put
some strain on the socket connection and put it back together. It is
working OK now. The ends of the lamps get VERY hot. I dont remember
that happening on the older fixtures, do you?

Strange .... any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2015 07:40 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

The sockets of course need to be replaced, just cut the wires to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2015 07:02 AM, philo wrote:
The sockets of course need to be replaced, just cut the wires to remove.

With many of the sockets if you push something like an awl or thin
icepick in beside the wire it holds the spring back so the wire can be
pulled out. However after the attempt to pull them out be brute force,
cutting them close to the socket and stripping them may be best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2015 08:32 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/04/2015 07:02 AM, philo wrote:
The sockets of course need to be replaced, just cut the wires to remove.

With many of the sockets if you push something like an awl or thin
icepick in beside the wire it holds the spring back so the wire can be
pulled out. However after the attempt to pull them out be brute force,
cutting them close to the socket and stripping them may be best.

Yep, the wire should be cut back far enough so that nothing tarnished is
used.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

If the lamps are getting very hot on the ends it means that the heaters are
not turning off when the lamp lights, and will burn out and blacken the tube
ends. If you have starter cans, common on old fixtures, they have failed.
The starter cans have a bi-metallic strip in a glass tube that opens when it
heats up and a capacitor to reduce radio interference. Either could be
shorted or fused. Replace the starter cans.

If there are no starter cans, then there is only the ballast at fault and
needs replacing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2015 9:32 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/04/2015 07:02 AM, philo wrote:
The sockets of course need to be replaced, just cut the wires to remove.

With many of the sockets if you push something like an awl or thin
icepick in beside the wire it holds the spring back so the wire can be
pulled out. However after the attempt to pull them out be brute force,
cutting them close to the socket and stripping them may be best.

Paperclip always does the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

LOL! Make sure the number to the FIRE DEPARTMENT is handy, ding-a-ling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2015 09:13 AM, Meanie wrote:

Paperclip always does the trick.

A paperclip can also be used to open a DVD drive when it isn't powered
up. I was going to use that approach a couple of weeks ago and realized
not only am I paperless these days I am paperclipless too. It may not be
too many more years before school kids ask "A what?" They'll miss all
the fun of making a chain long enough to reach down a five store open
stairwell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/04/2015 05:01 PM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:
[...]

I dunno, maybe when the wires get hot enough they'll weld themselves to the socket contacts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take the light fixture down, get a hammer, smash it into a million pieces and throw it away. Get a decent LED fixture and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Weird. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 9 December 13th 14 06:28 PM
OT; Weird The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 January 31st 12 02:52 PM
Isn't This Just Weird? Ron Electronics Repair 2 July 25th 06 06:05 AM
Weird Fluorescent Problem Art Todesco Home Repair 3 July 19th 05 04:55 PM
uk.d-i-y gone weird N. Thornton UK diy 6 January 7th 05 03:36 PM